1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Open Source What happened to FreeNAS?

Discussion in 'Software' started by cpl, 30 Jan 2012.

1. cpl

cpl Minimodder

I run FreeNAS 0.7.2 on a passively cooled Atom rig, 4GB USB pendrive, 2GB RAM.

What is this RAM hungry monstrosity, FreeNAS v8 :-o I don't suppose it would like my feeble Atom much?

I obviously misssed the news last year, but apparently the FreeNAS name is now owned by a for-profit enterprise. I don't fancy this new version one bit. I hope they keep the v0.7 development going under a new name. Discussion here at sourceforge

2. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

Have a look at openmediavault. It's made by the same guy who originally made freeNAS. Based on Linux rather than FreeBSD. Very good it is too.

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

RAM hungry monstrosity ? What ? If you don't use the advanced ZFS features like deduplication, RAM usage is minimal. Sure, if you use those features, then you need 1GB RAM per 1TB - but this is true for any ZFS implementation. Actually Solaris have this recommendation "ZFS designers recommend 2 GB of RAM for every 1 TB of storage.".

So, what is RAM hungry then ?

4. cpl

cpl Minimodder

Thanks, I'll look into that.

5. cpl

cpl Minimodder

Ha-ha, your RAM point of view is somewhat different to mine. The minimum requirements to run FreeNAS 8 is 4 GB for UFS only and 6 GB for full ZFS. You can find this from the link I posted.

I call that lots of RAM for a NAS. Especially when you consider previous versions only need 1 GB. My main rig only has 4 GB.

For me a NAS should be a low cost, low powered machine.

6. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

Über plus 1 to this. OMV is epic and is v fast with v tiny system requirements.

7. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Sorry if i feel confused, but.... Le me check scan.co.uk :

1GB Hynix DDR3 : £9.17
    2GB Corsair DDR3 Value Select : £10.67
    4GB Corsair Value DDR3 PC3-10600 : £17.28

Are we really talking about £8.10 ? Really ?

8. cpl

cpl Minimodder

My Atom can only address 2GB of RAM, so I'd need a new higher powered CPU and mobo too. There's no need to recalculate for me though. It seems OMV Is a good alternative for me if needed. Thanks guys!

9. Matticus

Matticus ...

I might give openmediavault a go before I get rid of my Microserver, who knows it might make me want to keep it. I had an old FreeNas set-up running many moons ago and loved it, but 8 has put me off.