1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Help me write a letter to the tax man

Discussion in 'General' started by MonkeyBoss, 8 Feb 2012.

1. MonkeyBoss

MonkeyBoss What's a Dremel?

Yo bit-tech, i need some of your wisdom.

I have come to the conclusion that the tax man owes me some cash...... and its the best part of a £1000.

I phoned them up last week and they basically told me that i need to send off a ton of payslips, P45, P60 e.t.c.

So i need to write a cover letter to go with them, asking for them to look into it, but I am terrible at writing formal letters and haven't got a clue how to word it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

2. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Dear Sir/Madam > Yours faithfully, dear Mr/Mrs... > Yours sincerely.

In between, three paragraphs is fairly standard. Something along the lines of:

Don't forget to include a reference number if you were given one, and put the addresses in the right places.

MonkeyBoss likes this.
  3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The above is good, but I'd send copies of your P45/P60/payslips to start with. If they want real ones they can ask, but keeping the originals is useful unless absolutely necessary. :)

MonkeyBoss likes this.
  4. andrewbarke

andrewbarke What's a Dremel?

last time i had to claim a refund, they wanted to originals from the start.

MonkeyBoss likes this.
  5. Emzay

Emzay "He's doing a poo!"

Also MonkeyBoss if the tax is owed from your current employment you can fill out a P91 form and they'll send back the tax you're owed via your next (or whenever they get round to sorting it) pay cheque :)
    And I agree, only send copies to begin with.

MonkeyBoss likes this.
  6. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I'm surprised they just asked for payslips, P60s etc - normally they just ask you to complete a tax return - unless it relates to tax years before 2010/2011.

As well as only sending copies, I'd also include a summary of what you're sending - perhaps just a spreadsheet printout detailing something like:
    Code:
    Company    Tax Year    Month    Tax Code    Gross Pay    Tax Paid    NI Paid    Net Pay
    Sort by tax year & month (or week) - and add subtotals by tax year. You might want to add comparisons to P45s & P60s as well, just to make sure.

As well as providing a useful summary, it can also help you sort things out for your own mind - you might also want to plug the figures into an online tax calculator (there are few free ones out there if you Google), just to see whether your thinking is right.

MonkeyBoss likes this.
  7. MonkeyBoss

MonkeyBoss What's a Dremel?

Nice one guys, all worked out, had a sweet rebate. +rep