1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling RAM Fins in contact with Cooler stack

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CanItRunSoldat?, 10 Feb 2012.

1. CanItRunSoldat?

CanItRunSoldat? What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, just put together a new rig for a friend and realised he had (rather ostentatiously) picked out some RAM with enormous fins coming off the top. When placed in their slot underneath the protruding Megahalem (again with the bigger is better mentality) the metal fins come into contact with the metal coolerstack. Obviously to have the current going from the memory passing into the CPU through this contact would be an instant disaster, however my question is are the fins on RAM typically insulated, and should I be worried about the two components touching?

Edit: Looks like its ok, as long as the chips aren't touching. Both grounded so no need for current to travel through them. May as well close this I guess:duh:

Last edited: 10 Feb 2012
  2. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Why would the CPU cooler have an electric current going through it?

3. wbdog206

wbdog206 not me

I would be more worried about the ram cooler not
    letting the cpu cooler seat properly.

4. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

This, try moving some ramsticks out of the way and check CPU temps before and after.

5. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

+ 1 to moving RAM. And also, the RAM heatsinks do not make up part of the circuitry on the RAM, so have no current passing through them. Even if it was touching the chips directly it wouldn't do anything as they're plastic.

6. CanItRunSoldat?

CanItRunSoldat? What's a Dremel?

Did a bit of testing and seems like the RAM isn't having any impact on the cpu cooler. They are just lightly making contact along the tips rather than propping the cooler up. Thanks for the reassurances, I just didn't want to sign off on it and have him come back in a few weeks/months with a useless chip :blush: