1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows LEGIT OS software for pc repair

Discussion in 'Software' started by gar, 10 Feb 2012.

1. gar

gar Minimodder

I have started my pc repair business, but am struggling to find a way to reinstall OS on laptops and pc's. They all have the licence, so thats fine, but how do I get the software. XP vista win7!?! No idea were to begin tried google, but that whole torrenting thing looks dodgy to say the least.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: 12 Feb 2012
  2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Windows 7 ISOs can be downloaded legally from Digital River Content. Obviously, you still need to purchase a key.

clicky

I don't think they still list the XP/Vista ISOs though.

adidan likes this.
  3. gar

gar Minimodder

Cheers man. Got that installed on another customers laptop. Seems impossible to do things legit these days. I don't know what other pc repair guys do. ::(

4. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

Well i know one who installs a pirated windows 7.. but i dunno what the legit guys do.Can you use a OEM s/n with a retail disc? or is it different? I recon some Ebay work maybe needed to collect some disks

5. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

what about Windows XP?? is there any legit ones?? I have the key but no disc.. since i lost the stupid disc when i moved too many times.. :(

6. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Saftware? I think you mean Software. We get copies of operating systems the obvious way - we buy them or download keyless ISOs, then just use the customer's license key for the reinstall.

adidan likes this.
  7. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

if your running a business, i would insist that if someone comes with a broken laptop / pc that they supply the original disks along with it, otherwise the cost significantly increases

not just for a working copy of windows but for the driver hunt that is generally required also

8. sparkyboy22

sparkyboy22 Web Tinkerer

Have you looked into a technet subscription?

9. short1uk

short1uk Minimodder

It is difficult it's taken me sometime to get every disc I need. Luckily I have a good friend who started his business few years before me.

You need
    XP home SP3
    Windows XP media centre edition
    Vista x86 & x64 -,sp1 and 2 as well
    Windows 7 Oem x86 & x64

Also it's handy to have all the dell discs too

Driver Genious is very good for missing drivers

Jelly bean is good to extract license keys got installed software

10. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Where are you in Canada? I may be able to help.

11. Unicorn

He lives in Northern Ireland. +1 for Jelly Bean, I'd be lost without it! I generally don't insist on the customer providing the necessary software because we have most of it on the server right here, even drivers etc. It's only a PITA for the first hundred or so PCs that you repair, then you'll find yourself re-using driver installers etc on a regular basis.

12. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

technically, you should use the inbuilt recovery system, if it is no good, you should contact the oem who built the machine for recovery disks.

using normal oem disks, is technically against the licensing agreement

13. Unicorn

Most desktop PCs don't have recovery partitions Rich.

14. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

mass produced ones do, or they provide the facility to create recovery kits

if they dont have either option, then the oem must provide the oem disks, a small firm producing their own brands, even if they provide the recovery partition, must provide the oem disks supplied with the license.

vista machines were supplied with an anytime upgrade disk, which could be used to re-install windows if needed

Last edited: 11 Feb 2012
    JBond likes this.
  15. gar

gar Minimodder

Thanks guys, although I am suprised that this seems a grey are as it is illegal to download most ISO files from the internet.
    I contacted Fujitsu Siemens for the laptop I'm currently repairing and they were happy to send the OEM disc out for vista, but there are so many builds and versions, it's unbelievable!

16. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

You're lucky - most OEMs charge for replacement discs. HP are criminally expensive.

JBond likes this.
  17. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

For laptops, every user is supposed to create their own recovery disks, or order them from a service the manufacturer set up. For example, for Toshiba in EU, you are supposed to order recovery disk from https://backupmedia.toshiba.eu/ after entering the serial number of your laptop and then paying the 30€ handling fee :). Same applies pretty much to any laptop manufacturer, with fees ranging mostly from 19 to 30 euros.

It is pretty much a fee for being stupid and not creating your own recovery disks.

18. gar

gar Minimodder

Yea, sorry I do live in Northern Ireland. If it's possible in anyway to pint me in the correct dirction that would be greatly appreciated. I don't wish to get into the whole torrenting business, I don't think it's wise somehow.

19. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

Indeed. Hard to tell whether anything has been added or otherwise tainted the iso.

20. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

filestube.com- knock yourself out.

It is completely legal to download an ISO of the OS software- you are only paying for the license key which the owner of the PC/ Laptop will already have unless they have lost or damaged the little holographic sticker / CD case with it on.

I would suggest making 'master copies' of all the various versions, or a single disc with all the versions on which you can then select the one you want during set up ( home basic, pro, ultimate etc of XP, Vista & 7 ). I had to download a copy of the XP home basic ISO a while back for my virtual machine- completely clean an untainted- you can always test these ISO's yourself as a virtual machine in a sandbox, to make certain nothing nasty has been hidden in there.