1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays 24" Monitor Suggestions - £150 Budget

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DanFerret, 11 Feb 2012.

1. DanFerret

DanFerret What's a Dremel?

Been after a monitor for a while but have never been able to decide what one I want!

Any suggestions welcome.

Will be used for normal office type work really. Gaming doesn't get any more serious than FM.

2. Zero_UK

Zero_UK What's a Dremel?

Asus VS247H LED is probably a good choice. I have been using a V243H (LCD) for the past 3-4 years and it is simply a wonderful monitor.

I haven't played too much with the settings - just different presets i.e. text, graphics etc and you get some really nice looking settings and repose rate has been fine from my experience with monitors. VS247H is just a newer LED variation meaning it should be just as good if not better with more features i.e. HDMI.

One problem with both of these monitors - the stand/support is static. Meaning it can not adjust in vertical height or go portrait (however in the sub £180 range I think that applies for all monitors). For me it was a little low down so I have it propped up on a thick book/flat tool box so it meets the typical recommended monitor:eye level.

Just a word of warning if this is a upgrade to a 1080p monitor, your gaming performance will take a hit as it is a intensive resolution despite not needing such high AA like you sometimes do on lower settings.

I'm sure plenty of other people will offer other useful advice - I.e. the BenQ monitors have a reputation for good quality.

3. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

4. DanFerret

Actually saw that monitor on Scan a few hours ago and was considering it so to see someone else give it a positive review is good :)

The LG IPS models seem to get mentioned A LOT but stock seems hard to find.

Although Dabs have the IPS231P 23" in stock in 5-7 days for £146.

5. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

BenQ G2420HD.

Great monitor at a great price.

Try and get one with the normal back lighting not LED.

oyyy.co.uk and amazon still have them IIRC, for around £120-130 I think. I've been considering getting a second, but can't justify the cost at the moment.

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I think your budget is too small. And you should save up considerably more money, if you want an upgrade in image quality (and build quality, and a proper monitor stand (one that actually hold the monitor, and not the other way around, where the stand floats and the monitor keeps it down)). If you just want larger resolution, than any monitor will do.

If you wonder where 24inch consumer (best for you money) monitor stops in price: Around 350 pounds including VAT. So when you come closer to that, now you have a lot of options opens, for not only a 24inch 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 resolution screen, but also better image quality, and find one that best fit your needs.

7. DanFerret

Thanks for the advice but I really don't think I need to be spending that much for a monitor that is mainly for Internet and Office use.

I have seen this which looks good for the price - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-S24A300H-23-6-Widescreen-Monitor/dp/B0060KBY86

The higher spec version at £146 is tempting too. http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/9787483/art/samsung/s24a350h-syncmaster-24-le.html

Last edited: 11 Feb 2012
  8. longweight

If it HAS to be 24" and HAS to be £150 then just buy something like that, they are all the same at that price when looking at TFT.

9. DanFerret

Ha. Well I guess it doesn't have to be either. I just don't want to fork out too much on a monitor that wont get used to the best of its capabilities.

Really not sure what I want to get.

10. longweight

11. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

It has nothing to do with USAGE.
    It's your main interaction (with keyboard/mouse/speakers) with the computer. In fact more money should be invested there over anything else. I know it doesn't apply to you, but it's like people using 8$ keyboard/mouse and 50$ screen, and using a 6000$ computer. That is just silly.
    It's like buying a really fancy car, but not have the chairs inside, you just bolt down IKEA plastic chairs, and your remove the steering wheel, and put a square in wood that is iffy at best.

Now I am not saying to spend 26 000$U.S on just the monitor (http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-monitors/cat-oledmonitors/product-BVME250/), but at least have enough funds for a med range TN panel or low end IPS panel, to get an adjustable stand, for a comfortable setup.
    You have to be comfortable when using the computer. These static non-adjustable stands of monitors aren't acceptable. The only time I say "yes" to those, is if the user is casually using the computer, like my mom. A bit of Facebook, and e-mail every day for a couple of hours or LESS. If you are typing text, doing reports, and anything above... a minimum of an adjustable stand is something I cannot recommend enough.

12. DanFerret

I see where you're coming from.

Can get a LG IPS236V for £150 "used-like new" on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B004NE9DX4/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Seen a LG IPS235V-BN for £ 125.90 Inc.

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/111...-23-full-hd-led.html?srcid=7226&CodePromo=oui

Apparently the 235V is the newer version?

Right now I would say I'm between the LG IPS235V-BN and the Samsung S24A350H. http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/9787483/art/samsung/s24a350h-syncmaster-24-le.html

Last edited: 12 Feb 2012
  13. DanFerret

Went for the LG IPS235V-BN!