1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress [BUILD LOG] Project Ametros: Scratch Built Carbon Fiber Case + WC - Mar 11, 2012

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by motorsportcfd, 25 Jan 2012.

1. xSoMBrAx

xSoMBrAx Minimodder

Superclean top work! :)
    Very inspiring

2. Cleveland216

Cleveland216 Carbon Fiber King

That sounds awesome! PM if you have any questions. Did you purchase a resin infusion kit or piece it together like I did? You are going to want to use an epoxy gelcoat. Research under surface coats, becuase they can be classified under there. Dont use polyester gelcoat. Also watch for the maximum temperature that the gel-coat can take. Your infusion resin could possibly melt the gel-coat when curing.

Check out ptm-w website they have the best and cheapest infusion resin that I could find. Also make sure your temperature is between 70-80F when you are doing the infusion. Anything less than 70F and it wont flow or cure right.

Monsieur R. likes this.
  3. Monsieur R.

Monsieur R. In cornichons I trust.

Did you buy that kind of infusion kit ? I have one in my bedroom but, but never had the opportunity to use it. I will sure follow your next attempt :)

BTW, for those who are interested in resin infusion process, the shop I linked below made a pretty nice video tutorial (Cleveland, correct me if I'm wrong) :

4. Cleveland216

The Carbon Mods vid is an awesome tutorial. It is great to see how the layers should go down and how the basic process works. Remember that depending on the shape of the mold that you are using a flow diagram has to be drawn up.

Whatever you do though, DONT SHUT THE PUMP OFF! Leave the pump running for 24 hours until the CF has had a complete time to cure.

5. digitalspy

digitalspy What's a Dremel?

Carbon Fibre, all these fans....sure looks like Aeronautics to me ;)

6. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Lovely work so far off to a really good start.
    I thought Iwas bad having 17 fans in my build, cut down from the original 23..lol

Looking forward to more of this one.

7. motorsportcfd

motorsportcfd What's a Dremel?

8.0 Carbon Fiber Mouse Clear Coated

8.0 Carbon Fiber Mouse Clear Coated

The Mouse
    I got the carbon fiber on the mouse cleared last week and polished it tonight. I am happy with how well it is turning out. The base of the mouse has been puttied to account for the thickness of the carbon fiber.

[​IMG]
    Carbon Fiber PC Mouse by ApertureV, on Flickr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would also like to thank my first sponsor, Signature Detailing for supplying polishing supplies for all the carbon fiber!

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking guys! Should be doing some more work on the case this weekend. My job has had me pretty busy this week which has meant no time for building.

Last edited: 16 Feb 2012
    Roboduck likes this.
  8. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

Eat your heart out MNPCTech lol. J/K Bill, but this blows your Di-Noc away ;)

9. Cleveland216

Excellent work! How did you polish? What clear coat did you use?

10. motorsportcfd

Thanks!

I used Omni 2K Clearcoat. I dont have the exact numbers in front of me, but can get them if you want.

The polishing was done in multiple stages. First I wetsanded the clear with 400 grit, 600, 1000, 2000 in that order. After wetsanding, I used Meguiars Medium Cut (#M0116) to get rid of the sanding scratches. After using Meguiars, I moved on to Menzerna 106FA Super Finish Polish. Lastly, it was sealed with Do-Do Juice. All the polishing was done by hand with micro fiber cloths. The Do-Do juice is applied with your fingers, then buffed with a micro fiber.

[​IMG]
    Polishing Compounds by ApertureV, on Flickr

11. jocke92

jocke92 What's a Dremel?

Awesome choice of material, great pictures and also a fantastic job with the log. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

12. motorsportcfd

9.0 Building the Balsa Core for the Pedestal

After the first failed attempt at the pedestal (bad primer) I decided to do it the way I should have done it to be stronger. I am building a balsa/bass wood core that will get a few layers of carbon on each side just like the case chassis posted earlier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    First thing I did was cut out the bass wood sheets to size and glue them together. You can see on the right that I had to glue 3 sheets together to achieve the proper width.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Top of the pedestal is glued on. Now its just waiting for carbon fiber.

[​IMG]
    What the case looks like so far!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Starting to show the shear size of the case. Sort of like a CaseLabs TH10.

[​IMG]
    Somebody asked for some point of reference of scale to the size of the case. Thats 3/8 Cordless Drill motor in the case, which is easily dwarfed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Who loves CF? I do.

Don't forget to check out the Facebook page for random more frequent updates!

http://www.facebook.com/factiondevelopment - Facebook page for instantaneous updates.
    Thanks for looking!

13. Mark_Skeldon

Mark_Skeldon What's a Dremel?

Very nice :D

Only downside of CF is that no matter how well you wrap up, you always seem to get the fibres stuck in you somewhere!!

14. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

That mouse is shiny! Your making good progress on that case man, keep it up!

15. motorsportcfd

[​IMG]
    Testing out the lighting for the fusion rods in the reservoir. This is just one LED for a 4" section. The actual rod will be 19" with 7 LEDs. Going to be awesome!

I just hooked up 7 LED's and shot some pictures, the rod is ridiculously bright.

16. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

that is going to be one HUGE case. It must be nice to have access to a shop like that and have so much experience working with carbon fiber. It appears to me that you are as comfortable working with carbon fiber as a carpenter is with 2x4s

17. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Brilliant. :D

18. motorsportcfd

10.0 Laying up the Pedestal in Carbon Fiber and Machining the Fusion Rods

Laying up the Pedestal

It's been a busy week so far. This weekend I laid up the carbon fiber around the pedestal and man it is strong! I am really happy with how the case is looking so far. I've decided to house my PSU in the pedestal as well, which will come later.

[​IMG]
    I laid up the top first using three layers of carbon fiber with alternative weave direction. First step was to cut three equally sized pieces of CF.

[​IMG]
    Next I wet out the carbon fiber with resin one layer at a time. I did the lay up on a piece of glass to achieve a flat and pristine finish.

[​IMG]
    Then laid the balsa core on top of the wet carbon fiber.

The sides followed the same suit and we end up with this!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Ignore the wrinkles in the front, it gets covered by the front fascia.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Size perspective with a chair next to it

[​IMG]
    Time to clear coat the pedestal.

The Fusion Rods for the Reservoir

In the reservoir will be two lit up acrylic rods that I have called "fusion rods" meant to look like something out of a sci-fi nuclear reactor. The rods are lit up with 7 super bright blue LED's.

[​IMG]
    First step was to machine the bores for the LED's using a 5mm ball mill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Testing! These things look awesome lit up in both light and dark. It's hard to capture the true essence of the luminous blue glow.

Thats all for now!

19. Furball Zen

Im guessing it looks more like this?

[​IMG]

Ironically try taking a pic with your cell, mine took a way better pic of UV CCFL's than any camera i ever had, and this was with NO color correction.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 29 Feb 2012
  20. Furball Zen

WTH triple?