1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel Thermal Solution RTS2011LC Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 8 Feb 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. NitroWare

NitroWare What's a Dremel?

The fan can be mounted on either side of the radiator PUSH or PULL.. Fitting it as pull might alleviate any mounting issues. Also the rad has a second set of thread screw holes on the other side for addition of second fan (or push)

We tested a pre-built setup from Intel and it came fitted with the fan mounted as pull and the airflow as exhaust. It was likely setup this way to ease building the system.

Intel do not make mistakes such as overlooking how a cooling system will be attached into a common chassis.

Asetek have a blog post describing pull versus pull, intake versus exhaust and the results were of minor effect. Intake v Exhaust does make a difference if there is a heat duct behind the PC such as a wall, which the blog post did mention.

As for LGA2011 support for the Antec 920, Asetek sell a bracket kit for $15 US shipped which includes all the mounting hardware to support their various models. You could fit the Intel one to AMD or the AMD one to Intel if you wanted as long as you have a complete bracket kit and not different bracket kits mixed together

Even the re-badged version of the 920, the AMD LC , its bushings already support LGA2011 and are printed as such. For that cooler all one needs is he Intel mounting ring and thumbscrews, which are different to the 'standard' Asetek thumbscrews.

All one needs is the Asetek hardware kit or the missing pieces which the vendor may be able to provide, such as if someone has purchased a kit currently and LGA2011 is missing.

Asetek have changed their mounting hardware several times over various models but they are generally compatible with each other as the back plates are mated with the mounting brackets/rings.

There are different styles of back plates paired with different styles of mounting rings.

3. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

This seems a bit off, - more expensive and worse-performing than the H80, aside from being potentially shipped in a setup you may very well have to undo to make it work in your chassis...doesn't seem like a good deal to me. But, good enough to have another option in the space, if only for how it may put downward pressure on pricing in the market, I suppose.

4. jakobfrimmel

jakobfrimmel What's a Dremel?

you know Intel has too much money when they try to enter the cooling market :p

5. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

they'll still get quite a few orders from the
    'I'll get the intel one cause thats a safe bet' guys

6. NitroWare

NitroWare What's a Dremel?

Why is it a ripoff? It is competitively priced to the generic kits. Some will buy the generic kits, some the Intel solution. Noone is losing out here. The likelyhood of an Intel RTS owner remounting on AMD or 775 is SLIM.

-Well IMO using the Intel solution is the safest bet out of the entire catalog of Asetek OEM coolers. Read on

- Some users want the blue LED pump and blue LED Fan

- Intel sourced the fan themselves. Intel are EXTREMELY strict about their fans, and have been since 1996.

They tender out fan sourcing and only use name brand vendors such as Delta, Sanyo-Denki, AVC,and so on.

The only time I have ever seen a dead fan on an Intel cooler has been when the motherboard header has shorted out or other severe damage, never wear and tear.

This Intel kit has a 12V 0.29A fan specced for Intel by DELTA, so it will be be 'reliable'. At least the unit we tested had Delta.

The standard fans in some of the kits Asetek assemble use fans from Everflow, which some might consider to be cheaper than 'name brand'

The Intel setup has auto fan control autonomous of the motherboard/different firmware.

If you try the 920/ AMD and do not plug the USB cable in, even on post the system goes into extreme mode which is undesirably noisy. The Intel cooler is a single connection using the mobo header only, the cooler manages itself.

It is the only cooler which says 'Cooled by Asetek' on it, something which Intel were proud to point out to me.

Also there is a blurb on Asetek's website quoting an Intel representative briefly describing the stock and drop tests their cooling solution has gone through during validation.

Remember these things have to endure being shipped, sometimes interstate being fitted to a system.

The i7 system my publication tested was an Intel Demo system that got carted around the AUS a fair bit interstate between cities by courier. packed only in its [Antec P280] shipping carton. By the time we received it it had done many miles and even the Radiator had many nicks and bent fins in it.

On examining the mountings I I had full faith that it was rugged enough especially being vaguely familiar with Intel's validation. Other OEMs such as Dell and HP do similar validation programs. Dell even drop and shock test their product cartons and pallet boxes. They have to. You cant have a box splitting open during transit or a CPU cooler air or liquid coming lose either.

The twin fan Asetek coolers need to be very securely attached as screw threads from both ends and the rad/fan is very heavy. If not it will work lose during transit and way goodbye to your VGA.

7. alamoqqvv

alamoqqvv What's a Dremel?

The fan can be mounted on either side of the radiator PUSH or PULL.. Fitting it as pull might alleviate any mounting issues. Also the rad has a second set of thread screw holes on the other side for addition of second fan (or push)

We tested a pre-built setup from Intel and it came fitted with the fan mounted as pull and the airflow as exhaust. It was likely setup this way to ease building the system.

Tags: Add Tags