1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory New memory for my folder (future proof)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gero1369, 10 Feb 2012.

1. gero1369

gero1369 Ummm...Wha?

I'm looking for some memory that will be able to clock at least to 1600 (hopefully higher), but will also have the lowest latency possible at 1600 &/or 1333. I currently have an intel i7 930 @ 3.8 GHz with a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard and 3x 2GB of GeIL 1333 (9-9-9-24, iirc) @ 1033 or so.

I plan on upgrading my system in the future and I will be using the RAM that I purchase now for that build (a 4P, AMD G34 server system, most likely). I will be building this system in a year or two. I know that the memory for it can only run at 1333/1600 max (depending on CPU), so that's why I want the lowest latency that I can get at those speeds (I've seen people running anywhere from 6 to 9, I'd prefer <=7).

The main thing that I do with my computer(s) is Folding @ home. I don't game.

Here is what I am looking at, but I'm open to other suggestions. I've only really looked on newegg thus far.

[​IMG]

2. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

If you're looking for advice for a Folding specific build then posting in the F@H forum would probably be best.
    They'll be able to give you much more tailored advice :thumb:

3. gero1369

gero1369 Ummm...Wha?

Basically, I'm looking for advice on what will clock the highest now, but be good for low CL later. Besides that, I've got things covered for F@H.

4. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I general ram speeds above 1600mhz make very little difference and the same goes with latencys.
    The only time you will see the difference is in benchmarks.

Aswell I don't think memory speed has much if anything to do with folding really. It's more down to the speed of the cores.

Just go for ram with low voltages like the Corsair vengance 1.35 volt ram.

5. gero1369

gero1369 Ummm...Wha?

Every little bit counts for folding. I fold on this machine 24/7, so if I can increase performance in any way, benefits will show, especially in the long-run.

I did manage to increase my current Ram speed to 1448 or so with 9-9-9-22 timings. I haven't tried increasing the timings further or lowering the timings at all yet with these numbers. What is the best way to test Ram besides running memtest for a while (or is that really the best way)?

6. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

All the RAM you are looking at there bar the Mushkin is Dual Channel. X58 uses Triple Channel memory while G34 will either be Dual or Quad.

Latencies make little to no difference in anything but benchmarks and lower latencies could cause you to have a glitch and lose a work unit.

I would just go for this kit.

7. gero1369

gero1369 Ummm...Wha?