1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Red Screen

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Dangthrimble, 2 Feb 2012.

1. Dangthrimble

Dangthrimble What's a Dremel?

I have an HP Pavilion a1629.uk and am trying to upgrade my graphics card from a Sapphire ATI Radeon X 1600 Pro to an Asus EAH3650 Silent Magic so that I can drive both my 24" monitors (BenQ FP241W and Dell U2410) digitally at 1920x1200.

Previously I was successfully driving both monitors at 1920x1200, though the Dell was being driven through the VGA port on the Sapphire. Now, when I plug the monitors in to the Asus, the Benq appears to be driven with a constant red signal giving a strong pink or red hue to everything. This appears to happen regardless of which port on the graphics card it is plugged into and which of the two cables I use. The cables are 5m long DVI-D single link cables.

Can anyone advise what the problem might be and what I might be able to do to overcome it?

Thanks

2. Dangthrimble

Plugging in the original 1.75m DVI-D single link cable that worked fine with the Sapphiire makes no difference and when I swapped the cables the Silent Magic lost connection with the Dell. I had to unplug the Dell's cable from the Silent Magic and plug it back in again to get the connection re-established. When I then unplugged the Dell again, both monitors lost signal and on re-inserting the cable only the the Benq became the primary monitor and the Dell's connection was not re-established. Extending the desktop to the Dell caused the Benq to become the secondary monitor, but still with no connection to the Dell! Swapping the Dell to the other graphics port caused it ti reset to something like 800x600.

I had updated the graphics driver to the latest ATI driver prior to the latest tests, so don't believe it is a driver issue.

3. Dangthrimble

When I said it couldn't be the drivers, that was before I tried booting into Ubuntu, which works fine at 1920x1200. So its appears to be either the drivers or the OS, I guess.

4. towelie

towelie How do I Internet!!

That's fairly strange, not that it should matter are the monitor driver install IE display the model number of the monitor as opposed to Generic monitor.

I would uninstall drivers for the cards then use CC cleaner to clean temps and registry and try again to reinstall drivers.Linux wins again aye!

5. Dangthrimble

What can I say? Booted back into Windows and everyting is fine now! Did switching back and forth between cables sort it? Could it be a dodgy cable that's happy at the moment? That wouldn't account for the problem staying with the Benq, which would seem to imply the problem is with the Benq. I'll just have to leave everything as it is and hope the problem is kept at bay.

Interestingly Asus support suggested this was a hardware problem and advised changing the card, Benq suggested changng the DVI-D cable for one no longer than 5m (which is the length of the longest cables anyway)!

6. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Did you get this sorted in the end? What's the status of your GPU/PSU now?

7. Dangthrimble

GPU seems to be behaving itself now :) though the Dell sometimes seems to lose contact :confused:. Left a message re PSU but had no reply as yet. Perhaps I should email instead.

On the whole, though, I'm pretty happy with my setup for now. :thumb: