1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Custom ATX PSU housing

Discussion in 'Modding' started by DevilsShooter, 21 Feb 2012.

1. DevilsShooter

DevilsShooter What's a Dremel?

So for awhile ive wanted a monitor with its own backlighting but refused to to pay silly money for a kit, I also have planned cutting out a large top section to my desk and fitting UV acrylic with my own etched design into it and run UV lights underneath to backlight the design.

I went and bought a 4 in 1 cathode Kit from sharkoon thinking that I could just use an old PSU to power these outside of my case. I have modded my PSU but not too keen on the ugly design of it so had an idea of making my own housing for it so it could blend in better with my desk. Also plan on cutting holes for my switches for easy access. Just wanted to know if anyone else has ever done anything with a PSU outside of there case and how they went about hiding/covering it whilst keeping it safe. Any suggestions will be welcome, its still early stages but will draft up some designs of my box and desk before committing fully to it.

2. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

well there is acrylic kits for PSU on shelves. don't have clear idea what You want to suggest - any pix?
    for safety: there could be high voltage on some parts of PSU even after turning it off and one should wait for a while after shutdown to touch 'parts'. and don't forget about grounding - in normal case metal parts of PSU case connected with grounding wire of wall socket plug. therefore one should take care for grounding PC components especially MoBo and drives

3. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

DevilsShooter likes this.
  4. DevilsShooter

ahh now that would save me a lot of time and hassle. Was already halfway through building a wooden box to sit the PSU and switches in. Only chose that option as my PSU has only 1 cable with x4 molex on and was a stretch to even attempt and outside connection. Thanks +1 rep

5. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

Youve always got options of this or this as mentioned.

6. DevilsShooter

ended up getting a PCI backplate off fleabay. Swore never to use that site again due to dodgy deals and i got sent the wrong plate lol. Guy sent me one with x2 eSATA ports but luckily the guy was really quick to respond and reply, new one on way. Also got a 72inch molex extension to run from the plate.

Got lots of room now to manouver my lighting setup and customise my desk. May still end up using the spare PSU for a testing setup, ill post pics if i ever get round to putting the box together. cheers all for help and suggestions