1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Lan gaming cube

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cerbrus2, 23 Feb 2012.

1. cerbrus2

cerbrus2 What's a Dremel?

Hi guys. I am looking at building a Lan gaming cube, one i can just throw in the car and go to my m8's and get some gaming done.

Of course I can use my Main rig, but it weighs a bloody ton. And I dont like rattling around watercooling wilst driving down the road.

So I want to build a half decent gaming rig in a tiny ITX case.

The hardware I have selected are:

Thermaltake Element Q case with 200watt PSU

8GB of corsair vengeance ram

Asus p8h61 micro ITX motherboared

Powercolour HD 7750

Intel G840

This should be more than enough bang, to play the games that we play at lans ie c&c 3, MOHAA, BF1942 desert combat mod. Rise of nations, Total annialation, supreme comander 2. and sometime companey of heros.

However. The case only comes with a 200watt PSU. Now wist it might just about run the system selected especially witht he 7750 being such a low powerdrawer.

I dont want to be thinking the back of my head that the PSU is about to blow. As thets face it that 200 watt will be peak power.

So I am wondering if anybody knows anywhere that sells these SFX psu's i would hope for around 400watt. but i think 300watt might just do it.

So any info will be great.

2. Moppi

Moppi Minimodder

3. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

the link for said case: Sugo

4. cerbrus2

cerbrus2 What's a Dremel?

that case is way overpriced well maybe not overpriced but overpriced for the build i am doing. I have a nice flashy expesive rig. I just need a lan gaming rig. So a 150 quid case is pointless.

5. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

How about a case which supports ATX PSUs like this?

6. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

Really the Element Q is just sort of a mediocre case. Go with a Silverstone or Lian-Li and a full size ATX PSU (or one of Silverstone's magnificent SFX's in their cases). You NEVER want to skimp on your PSU. Also personally I would only use 4gb of RAM. You've got a 7750 in there, so you're probably not going to run games high enough to use all 8gb, or even 4gb. But RAM is fairly cheap, so that's up to you. Also it's rediculously expensive, but I'd recommend the Lian-Li TU200 case. It's got a handle and it can probably survive a few bullets, let alone a couple drops. But it's out of your price range so I'd go with one of the cheaper Lian-Li's or a Silverstone Sugo of some sort.

7. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Look at either the Lian Li PC-Q08 or PC-Q11.

Both are ITX cases that take full sized ATX PSU's and can also accept relatively beefy GPU's as well (up to ~GTX560TI in size).

With a decent PSU (corsair CX430v2 should suffice for this build) you will be looking at around £120 all in.

I would also suggest looking at the HD6850 instead of the HD7750. The former is quite a bit quicker, costs roughly the same and barely uses more power in the real world (unless you use the system 24/7 the differences will ne negligable).

8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Not sure if you have access to the marketplace yet, but Shakeyjake is selling a Silverstone SUGO SG05-B Mini-ITX PC case wtih a 300w PSU.

Description:

Case designed for mini-itx boards, I've been using it with most of the bits listed here as one of my htpcs for a while now and it's been brilliant but now I only need one so I'm seeling the one that I reckon will earn me more money. In the time I've owned this case it's been a desktop and a server as well as a htpc. It's a very nice and very versatile case. Small, but big enough to house a 78mm heatsink, 1x3.5” disk, 1x2.5” disk, slim optical drive, and a double-width nine-inch gpu. Included 300W 80+ power supply reckons it's good for GTS250 and the like.
    I know it's used but you couldn't tell and they still sell for like £80 new so I'm asking £60 incl.
    As ever, open to offers if this is too high.