1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress [Project] Interior Des(k)ign - SR-2 - the Biggest Update EVER! 90% complete! 20/09/12

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by wejjy, 23 Nov 2011.

?

Which do you prefer?

Poll closed 20 Mar 2012.
  1. Custom coloured/made cables

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Sleeved cables with heatshrink

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Paracord cables without heatshrink

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Ok so the reason for me not updating this in a while is my daughter, she had the first of 3 operations recently on her brain so to say that modding has come second for a while is an understatement. Hope you all understand...anyway she is improving and well on her way to recovery now so the modding will resume.

[​IMG]

I managed to make a little tiny bit of progress on the rear radiator cover before I hung up my tools for a while, this was 3 hours work with a jigsaw and file to get it to look right, it will be glued in place with soundproofing between the steel and the ally.

[​IMG]

Looks ok to me and will be painted on the exterior too...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ignore the uprights, they were just there to assist with the clamping as its not glued yet.

The final part in the jigsaw is the laser cutting, I have waited and waited and waited for these guys to come up trumps with my panels but they are driving me mad, they never reply to emails, when I call them they give me excuses, so Im looking elsewhere to get these parts cut, as soon as theyre here, the case will come together really fast! In the meantime we have decided also that we might move house, so I need to find an equivalent corner to put this beast in, otherwise the move wont work! Although Ive been given permission by my wife to build the biggest coolest shed as a workshop/modding haven so I may be persuaded.

More updates soon I promise!

2. l3p

l3p www.^.nl

WOW, that picture of your daughter... :jawdrop:

Wish you, your daughter and your family a lot of strength with all this!

3. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Thanks pal, she's getting there slowly, had her stitches out today, got 2 more operations to go yet on her spine but sure we'll be fine, she's a tough little thing! Thanks tho!

4. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Super cool mod, hope everything turns out to be fine with your daughter. Keep up the good work but your daughter comes first

5. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

I hope your doughter has a speedy recovery man.

6. bguilleminot

bguilleminot What's a Dremel?

Lots of hope, luck and strength for that hard moments!

7. xSoMBrAx

xSoMBrAx Minimodder

Really shocked after seeing that picture of your daugther... Best wishes for her and for you of course.

As long as I see your worklog updated I will know that she is fine so I'm subbed :)

8. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Thanks mate, family always comes first I agree, thats why this things hasnt moved for the last 6 weeks or so. Be back on it soon dont worry.

Thanks pal, shes getting stronger every day and is able to do more and more of the routine things, kids are just amazing, they are sooooo strong compared to us dweeby adults!

Thank you, its been a tough last couple of months but as a family we are all closer so theres always a positive to come from things!

Sorry, hope the photo didnt upset anyone, just put it on to show why the mod has been on hold for the last few weeks. Thanks for the kind words again though.

As for progress, it will come very soon, I had a call from the laser cutters on Friday to say my parts are ready to collect so I will be picking them up in the near future and then its all hands on deck to get this thing sorted. The only good thing about spending so much time in a hospital is time. Lots of it! So I have tonnes of ideas ready to try to incorporate into the project now, it MUST be ready for the middle of March as I have another project waiting to start, the opposite to this one SFF!

Check back soon for BIG progress updates, but until then mod on:rock:

9. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Concentrate on your daughter my friend modding can come second, my thoughts and prayers with you my friend, all the best to your daughter. If you need a professional advice for alternative medicine send me a PM I will be glad to help as much as I can!

10. Paslis

Paslis Minimodder

When i saw the picture of your daughter it kinda scared me because i have a daughter and a son to and i can imagine how you and your family feel.So i wish you and your family all of the luck in the world and much strength.I hope she will be better soon.

11. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Thanks pal! Much appreciated, she is recovering very fast, once the sickness subsided she has made really rapid progress, as long as she doesnt over do it, you would never know now! Its amazing! Thank you though, you guys are awesome.

I know what you mean, it was a huge shock to us when this all started, it seems like ages ago now but we only found out about 6 months ago! But it is the same as everything you cannot control, it just makes you stronger! Thank you for your kind words mate!

12. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Minor update 19/02/2012

So my daughter is recovering slowly, my wife is fed up me being under her feet 'trying to help', so I got sent out to the workshop for 2 hours this afternoon... Heres what got done! Not major progress but ive been away for soooo long, plus my dad and I share the workshop and he's the best dad but sooooo messy, so I spent a lot of time looking for things that werent on my bench!

I wanted a usb header so tried to fit something discreet into the existing design, this is what Ive come up with to solve this headache...

I took one of the uprights from the front right hand end and modded it

[​IMG]

Marked it out and drilled the pilot holes

Then set about it with a file...

[​IMG]

Needs finishing but I didnt manage to find the square pin file! (ahem dad!!)

[​IMG]

Cut the slot out on the rear to slide the usb header into...

[​IMG]

How it looks

[​IMG]

Ive also moved the HDD hot swap system from the front panel to the left end between the two uprights as shown in the renders I put up earlier in the thread. They needed airflow over them, so Ive designed a panel to slide into the end with a 120mm fan on the rear. It swivels out of the way to allow full access to the hot swappable discs so cool and practical.

Here it is...

[​IMG]

It was only the same process of plasma cuteer and folding so I didnt take any progress shots of it sorry! One more...

[​IMG]

Im chuffed!

It was good to be back to normal, kind of. I will reveal the laser cut panels soon, Im just waiting for the 8mm steel bar to put around the perimeter then I can make progress.

I also treated myself to a 7970, the first of a pair hopefully! Oops! Wont bore you all with box shots!!!!

See you later in the week guys!

[​IMG]

13. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Update 24/2/2012

A reasonably big one this time guys as I picked my steel up from the laser cutting firm, and then had a decent day at the workshop excitedly getting it all together. I worked through things as logically as possible so here are the progress shots. I'll let the photos talk as they kind of speak for themselves!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shiny!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This forms the framework...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had always planned to cut these out as they are underneath so they need to fit around the lower fans like this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Im really happy with the proportions etc.

[​IMG]

Had to make a rear cover for the hot swap HDD cage so I cut along my shiny new panel and used 20mm angled aluminium to cover the sides, it needs to be cut to the right height, but Ive made a lid for it already, thats for tomorrow!

[​IMG]

Its a bit dark sorry, but this gives you an idea of my plans, the HDD rack will have two SSD's mounted on the front of it with little aluminium mounts, should look nice hopefully. Needs painting though!

[​IMG]
    Thanks again to my sponsors!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

It
    is
    EPIC!!!

15. Asouter

Asouter --------

Ohhhhh that looks good:cooldude:

16. bond0071993

bond0071993 What's a Dremel?

amazing build

17. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Wow! Thats a huge compliment, thanks pal!

Thanks, more to come soon hopefully!

Thank you!

Really nice compliments guys, thanks!

18. Paslis

Paslis Minimodder

That looks awsome mate. :rock:

19. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Wow, thanks Paslis, to hear that from you is a real compliment!

20. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Update 25/02/2012

Bit more progress today on the HDD rack. I managed to get the backplate cut down and the lid fitted. I blind-rivetted the bar to the front of the lid and then tapped it M4 and put two more cap-heads in the front to secure it. Once painted all will look uniform, at the moment it doesnt look crisp enough for my liking, but a lick of paint will sort that!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also fitted a fan to the rear, the SSD's will be mounted on the front so the fan had ro be placed here really. Not ideal but the only otherboption requires a lot more space so Im working on ideas for that currently.

[​IMG]

Front cover...

[​IMG]

This will hinge down to allow access to the hot swap bays...

[​IMG]

And finally, I managed to mount the radiator to the rear panels, this needs to be a reasonably easy way to mount them as the rear panels will eventually be welded into place, so the fans and rads need to be fully removeable whilst leaving behind the rear panel, the original mounting method would allow for this. More pics of this will follow...

[​IMG]

Thanks again to my sponsors!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]