1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Icenhancer 2.0 GTAIV

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by CoffeeTwoSugars, 22 Feb 2012.

1. bushi

bushi What's a Dremel?

+1 rep coffee. :D

I'm experiencing the exact same problems as bdigital.

2. CoffeeTwoSugars

CoffeeTwoSugars What's a Dremel?

Icenhancer guide

Right then,

Hey, here is a guide to installing Icenhancer 2.0 as per request.

I've reinstalled everything my self just so I can remember the whole process. Now this is mainly for the steam users but I think the same things will apply to disk holders minus a few little changes , which I’m sure will become obvious as we go through the installation.

I would just like to stress that I am no expert on modding games or anything like that, I just spent a lot of time trying to get it right. So hopefully if I make any mistakes along the way you guys can give me a heads up, thanks :thumb:

It is very important to keep a backup of all the changes you make just in case anything goes wrong because reinstalling is a real ball ache all the time, granted this will take up a lot of room on your hdd but it only has to be temporary until you have everything perfect!

1)First off you will need to install GTA IV fresh, if any mods or old patches are on there it could ruin the whole thing, such as the camera thing that I have seen a couple of you have had already. Once this is installed on steam you should go to this page and download the patch 1.0.4.0. while downloading navigate to your steam library and right click 'Grand Theft Auto IV' and go to properties then choose 'updates' and in the drop down bar select 'Do no automatically update this game', this will make sure steam doesn't overwrite any changes you make. Now that this is done install the patch, this is nice and simple, it comes with a handy installer so you don't have to do anything.

2)At this point you will want to decide whether you would like to be adding any further mods to GTA IV, specifically any script mods, if so you should download and install this if not just skip this step. In the downloaded folder you should see dsound.dll and scripthook.dll just copy and paste them into the root folder which in steam is steam/steamapps/common/Grand Theft Auto IV/GTAIV and thats that.

3)OK, we have done the preparation now time for Icenhancer itself. In the download you will see "Patch 1.0.3.0 to 1.0.0.4" open this. Now you will be faced with six folders, click on the first, "Only if fresh installation", copy xlive.dll and xlive_d.dll only and paste them to steam/steamapps/common/Grand Theft Auto IV/GTAIV

4)Next go to the second folder Main files and copy the entire contents to your root folder "GTAIV". A dialogue box will appear just select yes to copy and override for everything and you will be done.

5)Now which of the Anti-Aliasing is entirely up to you, personally I use FXAA as I have found it runs better on my system for whatever reason. All you need to do is either open the folder FXAA or SMAA and copy the file iceconfig.ini into the root folder.

6)You can leave out the 4th folder for now and go straight to Options this is where a few things get complicated, I'm not entirely sure on this part myself but i got it working my way for the most part, if anyone could let me know how they did it, it would be much appreciated. But I'll let you know how I did for now anyway, it hasn't caused any problems thus far.

For bloom files just do as it says and copy and replace the file in the folders to the root GTA IV. The next one Color palettes you need to extract the rar file using 7zip or something similar into the root folder, then in the root folder find iceconfig.ini and open with notepad and scroll to the bottom and under UsePaletteTexture change from false to true.

For Film Grain and Sharpening just copy and replace the option file to the root. For HD Blood BETA copy fxprojtex.wtd to GTAIV/PC/textures.

What I did for HD Trees is a little different to what it says in the folder, I first extracted the rar into the same folder which created a folder containing ext_veg which I then copied into GTAIV/PC/data/maps/props/vegetation and copy and replaced.

I never got round to installing Light Sprites correctly :confused: so anyone who has give me a shout.

7) Hopefully you guys all have kick ass systems to take full advantage of this mod but if not and you are scared your gonna blow up your rig just open "I'm afraid of overheating" and copy d3d9.dll to the root.

8)Finally we come to the "Optional - iCEnhancer 2.0N" folder, if you want this installed its entirely up to you, reading through forums I have seen that its a love or hate thing so I would suggest playing through at this point and seeing if you want the change before you install. For installation extract the .rar and copy and replace all the contents to the root. If you dont like it make sure you have made a backup of everything you have done so far so you can revert.

9) One last thing you won't be able to see any writing as for some reason Icenhancer gets rid of all the text in menus, this is easily fixed though just download these files and copy and replace fonts.dat and fonts_r.dat to GTAIV/common/data.

This should be all now, I hope it helps anyone that is struggling installing this amazing mod.

i know it's not perfect I still have a lot to learn about the process but I hope some people out there with a better knowledge about this than me could help me improve.

Rogan, bdigital and mikemorton like this.
  3. bushi

bushi What's a Dremel?

Thanks mate, I'll have a read after I try running it after a complete clean retry.

Also I found this little tip:

run LaunchGTAIV.exe instead GTAIV.exe (to prevent "drunk" camera).

That would probably be my problem.

4. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Awesome thank you!! - I got it all going late last night. All looks ok at the moment, got everything maxed out.

Are theyre any other mods/things you would suggest doing to make the game look better? I would like to get some new cars in there

5. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

+rep for WoT. Now if I can just muster the effort to follow and try to run the game again. It was so sluggish last time I played. :''/

6. CoffeeTwoSugars

No worries, glad you got it working. There are a load of car mods out there, you could go for a whole package or just individual cars, this is how to install individual cars that you have downloaded.

There are a few texture packs that I found on http://www.gta4-mods.com/ you'll just have to read through them to see which one is best for you

7. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

8. bdigital

9. nuc13ar

nuc13ar What's a Dremel?

good luck to all. gta IV is too buggy for me to install mods. i am just happy the way the regular disk install (patch 1040) looks @1920x1200

10. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

11. CoffeeTwoSugars

There is a patch for it but the author says it may be a little buggy

12. bdigital

13. bdigital

I managed to install this one, but i cant really see much difference from icehancer if im honest.

I can seem to add my own cars. Whenever i try to add them i seem to break the game :(

14. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I've been wondering, how do the damage effects translate onto the custom cars? Do they still react the same way to crashes and so on?

edit - also, any word on performance? Does Icenhancer have any bits that improve performance, or are all its components performance hits?

15. CoffeeTwoSugars

Yeah they are built pretty awesome, in some of them i would say the damage effects are better than the stock cars! The handling files are all customised as well so they feel and drive close to the real thing (I haven't driven them in real life so it's only a guess).

16. bdigital

Hey Coffee - Dont suppose you have added a decent car pack that works well?

Ive tried individual cars but a) it takes a while and some fiddling and b) the game wont start once ive finished adding them!!

I followed the guide you linked.

17. CoffeeTwoSugars

Yeah I found a decent one in the end, made a few tweaks to it but this is what I use.

IT comes with a great installer with loads of added stuff. I really recommend the traffic loader, it's pretty much a must otherwise you only have taxis, but you will need quite a bit of ram to use it I had to buy and extra 4gb's to utilize it

bdigital likes this.
  18. bdigital

Awesome thank you - downloading it now.

Another question. Ive heard that the DK road textures? are a must have? Can i still install them over icehancer? and do you know of any texture packs i should have?

19. bdigital

Well ive got icehancer and the car pack you linked.installed.

Unfortunatley after about 40mins it just crashes to desktop, so I need to find out whats going on here.

Also still looking for a decent texture pack as above.

Any thoughts?

20. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

not sure if your actually bothered anymore lol but I had an issue with the game crashing as well. I decided to import my own vehicles and the problems have gone