1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People who know their push bikes> a query by me.

Discussion in 'General' started by Dorza, 14 Apr 2003.

1. Dorza

Dorza What's a Dremel?

ok was looking at some bikes and i came across the one below. Now my question is: What is that thing sticking out next to the rear suspension? Its like a tube thingy next to the Coil. what is that? I havent noticed it on some of the other duel suspension bikes i was looking at. Could it be a lock for the rear suspension?

[​IMG]

2. penski

penski BodMod

Fluid reservoir?

*n

3. Sowler

Sowler What's a Dremel?

I think you will find that that is the damper for the rear shock, it should have a couple of dials on it to adjust the ride i.e softness hardness. It changes it by moving oil about basically. Hope this helps.

Sowler

4. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

The non softies among us still ride on rigid bikes with no suspension apart from the body, ;) My Marin Rocky Ridge circa 96' is an old faithful companion.

5. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

im not sure what the frame is on mine but i like my bike.
    specs i know
    Shirmano laser shifters (i think)
    shirmano top noch gears and basicly everything is shirmano
    Judie rock shocks on front
    and has lots of gears

Im not acting dumb its just i dont know the spec by bro built it. But my dad has just bought a kona Dr Du which is an amazing piece of kit mmmmm dribble dribble

6. Dorza

Dorza What's a Dremel?

thanks for the replies every one. :) Ok another question. Does any one know where i can get hold of a lock for the rear suspension. I heard u can get locks for them when ur going up steap hills. Is this right? Oh and i heard their expensive???

7. 19nine78

19nine78 What's a Dremel?

It depends on the shock, they usually come factory fitted though, its not something you can add yourself later without changing the shock.

They also tend to feature more on shorter travel air shocks rather than the more conventional coil-sprung variety found on free-ride and downhill bikes.

more to the point, that kona's not really the sort of bike for going uphill on...

cheers

alastair

8. MadSkunkBurner

MadSkunkBurner What's a Dremel?

I can help you out a bit here;)

The cylinder is a damper adjustment as pointed out by Sowler. As far as your rear suspension locking out is concerned all full suspension since the GT RTS series have automatically 'locked' the rear triangle when you are peddling uphill. This stops it rocking quite so much but does not actually stop it from moving totally. After all - this is a downhilling bike so peddling uphill as not really on a bike like this.

I hope this helps!

9. Dorza

Dorza What's a Dremel?

thanks for the replies. Would i be right in saying that most bikes whichhave full length shocks in the front tend to be made for downhill and hate going up hill? Because ive noticed on bikes which ahve these types of shocks in the front the rear of the bike is quit low

10. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

yeah the other thing that gives it away norm is the big fat tyres that they have, Disc breaks, not that many gears and small front mech i think im right if not huh im an amature. Although i like bikes :D

11. andyunder

andyunder What's a Dremel?

downhill bikes dont have front mechs on them as they are normaly only running one ring up front of about 48+ teeth.

the kona is actually a freeride bike which is a cross between downhill and everything else

it is a ******* good bike