1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Licorice (updated 5/11 with sanded window panel pic)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by bust0aster, 7 Apr 2003.

1. bust0aster

bust0aster What's a Dremel?

OK, so after reading this website for umpteen months I finally have the time to start my first real mod (I've only done some etching previously). For a real website with my progress visit http://www.speakeasy.org/~bust0aster/project_licorice.html
    but I'll put regular updates here as I go. Nothing really exciting or new planned for this case, just a regular beginners type mod. Some painting, some windows, maybe some electronic stuff. Oh and its called project Licorice becuase it's gonna be all black and red (get it? black and red licorice).

Ok, so now the pics.

First a shot of the case
    [​IMG]
    Now a shot of the side
    [​IMG]
    A shot of the side with no panel on
    [​IMG]
    and my first start to modding it, drilling out the rivets that attach the top to the rest of the case
    [​IMG]

This week I hope to get some spraypaint to paint the inside of the case red (probably this weekend) and once I get my jigsaw I'll tackle the side and top windows (no design for those yet).

Last edited: 11 May 2003
  2. Lithium

Lithium super spunk

Well good luck and enjoy mate...Keep us updated:thumb:

3. bust0aster

Will do. I'm at work now but I should be able to get a couple designs online for my window plans. I came up with a couple of ideas last night before bed.

4. Iamgoodyy

Iamgoodyy What's a Dremel?

I bought that same case except beige like a month ago and have yet to start on my project for it. GL with yours

5. bust0aster

I did a couple of window designs today. Figured I would post them to get impressions or other ideas from the folks here on the boards.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm kind of partial to the one that looks like a barcode. Please forgive the messiness of them, but I did them on a laptop and it aint so easy to draw stuff with a touchpad.

As for painting im gonna leave the outside black for now. I may repaint it black again if I decide I don't like the current finish. The inside I'm gonna prime and give it a couple of coats of a dark red. Other plans are still in the works. I probally wont be able to do anything till this weekend cause of work and because it just snowed and my "workshop" is my porch :)

6. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

Re: Project Licorice

i recently painted my case black(see www.themainframe.tk) and i noticed on you case especially around the 3 1/2 inch and 5 1/2 inch expansion bays you have a white from the case showing what u need to do is either get a black marker or paint, or spray etc and remove the blanking plates and colour the edges of the plates and then the lines will be gone.

:thumb:

7. bust0aster

Wow, good eyes. I should be painting the interior of the case this weekend or next. The blanking plates will be coming off. Ill have to take some pics and see how it looks afterword. Not bad though for a case that came black. The finish isn't too bad. If it annoys me I may repaint the exterior myself but its fine for now. I should have some updates later on this weekend.

8. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

what colour neon are u fitting i paintsed my case black and i bought a yellow cold cathode when i get it installed ill post pics

9. bust0aster

well the outside of the case will stay black. the interior is getting painted red. I'll probally buy a red cc and put it in. I figure that should look decent.

10. bust0aster

I did the interior paint job this weekend. Not too bad concidering I did it outside and had to let it dry out there. Theres a little bit of dust in the paint and a few drips where I sprayed too much too soon, but on the whole I'm happy with it. The color is cherry red gloss by krylon. I may sand it a bit and do another coat. But enough talk, here are a couple of pics. [​IMG]
    Just in case you cant tell the top is black. Its just washed out a bit because I took the pics outside.
    [​IMG]

I also bought a Makita Jig Saw today to take care of cutting out the windows, a dremel would just take too long for me :). So, what'cha think?

11. complexprocess

complexprocess What's a Dremel?

[teen girl squad]That case is getting ready to look so good![/teen girl squad]

:D

12. bust0aster

hey, it may look pink but its really a dark bloodlike color. darn flash and sun. :)

13. CooLJoE

CooLJoE Minimodder

As someone who has that same case (cept my back has 2 fan spots that look the same as the front fan spots), I suggest cutting the fan grills. They are quite restrictive.

Funny though, I was going to paint mine black also. Although a recent idea may have changed it to silver.

14. complexprocess

complexprocess What's a Dremel?

It looks more red than pink. I was just saying how I think the case will come out well, and doing so under the identity of some characters in an internet cartoon I saw. I guess it los domething in the translation from my head to the internet. :(

Anyway, this case looks like it will come out well. :D

15. bust0aster

:) no harm no foul, I thought you were just joking about it looking pink. my wife and a guy i showed it to at work thought it looked a little on the pinkish side :)

16. bust0aster

got a little bit of a better shot of the case in better light showing the color a little bit better
    [​IMG]

17. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

dude, that looks really sweet...
    I am modding a pc for a friend of mine, who actually wants his entire computer in that color :)

18. bust0aster

cool. just so you know what color I used, it is Krylon Spraypaint, Cherry Red Gloss, 2101 I believe. This would make a really nice all case color.

19. bust0aster

just a quick update. I cut out the side and top window this weekend. Needless to say my jigsaw cutting skills arn't as good as some other peoples so I have some clean up work to do :). I started clean up by cutting the case with some scissors and a hand file. The windows arn't quite ready to show pics for yet but I should have somthing worth showing next week.

20. bust0aster

ok, so i did some more cleaning up of the windows with a dremel and a reinforced cutoff disc. needless to say i just about wore out the disc. its the little dot to the left of the regular cut off disc.
    [​IMG]
    ok, now how about showing you the windows. here are three pics that show how crappy my cutting skillz are (well this was a buy a cheap case to learn what the hell i am doing job so im happy with it). there is lots of room for improvement but i think after some paint and some moulding that i picked up today it will look pretty nice. ok, now here are the pics.
    [edit: just a little note. ignore the paint. its getting sanded down and repainted. i decided on that a while ago. these pics are just to show the general shape of the windows. its not as bad as it looks trust me]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    you can see in the pics where i messed up some and will have to hammer down the bent metal somhow. anyone know a good way to flatten it? is just hammering it ok?

Last edited: 28 Apr 2003