1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Lean and Green - 15-12-14 - as complete as it's going to get

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Waynio, 28 Jan 2012.

1. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Thats some seriously nice handiwork Wayne. I think this is going to turn into an epic build mate...top modding dude..:thumb:

2. Paslis

Paslis Minimodder

The parts look awsome and allot of hours spend on them all ready. :D Keep them updates comming. :thumb:

3. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:hehe: Cheers cheaps, I'll give that a try mate. :thumb:

Thanks you Pablo just wish I could go as fast as CNC but at least I can in the video I made :lol: things are soooo much nicer to cut after getting past the 10mm alu. :thumb:

The bulk of the weight in this build is the 3mm alu, weighs a ton but I will probably make a load of additional cut out patterns in all of the plain panels to lighten it up a lot but so it still retains it's strength, pile more work but would be worth doing. :)

A team project sounds awesome & I'd be up for it :rock: only issue I see with it is what to do with it once it's made, sell it & share the money as well as all put equal amounts to the funding of it?.

If I was to get ill again :sigh::duh: I'd probably end up getting seriously ill with it mutating. :eeek:

Thank you Jeff :D made it so I'm extremely busy with this now because of that mini dead line I set. :lol:

Thanks Paslis & will do mate. :thumb:

It was proving to be a tad difficult searching through the 3mm alu I cut up to get the project started which I didn't label what cuts were what :lol: so it took an hour or 2 just to work out which are which & get them all labelled so continue I could. :D

Took me about 24 hours altogether to cut close to all the edges & cut spot on the seams for the multi page templates, just decided to get them ALL done so they are ready for sticking to the materials, will make for a lot less messing.
    [​IMG]

So with the 10th March deadline I set for myself I have 12 days with 1 of them being today a partial day to cut it ALL now lol. :D

I will do updates every 2 days showing how much I'm getting through. :)

4. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Good stuff! Lets see it cut. :D

5. Metrodusa

Metrodusa What's a Dremel?

Looking forward to seeing that done. This project is awesome.

6. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I'm eager to get cracking. :dremel::rock:

Thanks Metrodusa :)

Knowing the spray adhesive is only good for basic not so complex cut panels I'll cover the complex panels in power prit stick & spray the templates also to make sure they stay held down so I'll do those panels in a few days when I have more prit stick but get all the basic ones done in the meantime.

7. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

I'm going to buy you a CNC so you don't end up 40 and bald from all of this manual cutting.

8. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

Like a BOSS! Totally forgot to follow this one, but going trough the pages I can see that you have not disapointed!

Keep up the splendid work mate:D I have a soft spot for thick alu plates worked by hand xD

9. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Actually just remembered I bought some a4 sticker sheets so printed & cut & taped together the complex panels so I'll be able to do the complex ones first, deadline has already shrunk to 11 days to get a load of cutting done but I'm confident & can do it so early night for me & a really busy day tomorrow to get an update made. :D

:hehe: Awesome comment Achron :D:rock:

Thanks p0Pe mate :D:thumb:

10. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Was a little concerned about sticking the busiest templates to the material with the weak spray adhesive but remembered I bought 50 a4 sticker sheets :D so printed all the busiest panels on them & got them cut up & taped together & did a final measure of them to make sure they are spot on & just stuck them to the alu.

I'll get busy drilling for access & cut them tomorrow but I'd be nicely surprised if I manage doing them all tomorrow but think it's doable, there is the front & back & both sides of the gamer rig & the rear htpc panel which are all the most detailed panels for the aluminium so expect updates to be rolling every 2 days from now with the first of them tomorrow evening or night. :)

11. AK71

AK71 What's a Dremel?

Awesome job so far Waynio! Still a long way to go though... You've inspired me to maybe try my hand at some aluminium fabrication

12. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks AK, thin alu like 0.5mm to 2mm is nice to work, for bending 1mm or less is ideal 3mm is not too bad to cut but the thicker you go the longer it takes & the harder it is to bend it like you want to :D I see some using routers or filing to weaken the alu at bending points where they want to help bend chunkier alu easier but I'd rather stay with what works best without need for doing that like 1mm for curving or bending & just reinforce it which will make it just as strong & would also be lighter but will mean more parts.

After seeing your modding skill I'd say you'll be fine using alu mate, I started off with thin 1mm alu sheet & flat bars & angle bars, was a heck of a learning curve going straight at scratch builds & aluminium from my first but could definitely feel the progression with each new rig. :D

------

So I'm staying with the do the lengthiest bits first & remembering I bought some a4 sticker sheets I chose to tackle the busiest aluminium panels of the build out of the mountain of alu I have to cut up. :D

Freshly cut, taped together, stuck on & drilled ready for cutting, only about 4 holes I think needed to be 1mm holes, all the rest were 2mm.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what I was hoping to do lol. :D
    Took ???????? to do 1 of the gamer side panels
    Took ???????? to do the gamer back.
    Took ???????? to do the gamer front.
    Took ???????? to do the htpc back.

But it took an hour to cut 6 of the smallest cut outs on 1 of the gamer side panels lol wow this will take quite a while but to be honest these tiny cut outs take far more effort to do than the bigger cut outs so I might still manage to complete 1 panel today & if I do I'll do another update later to complete this particular update but still aiming for an update every 2 days & these high volume cut out panels are definitely the most time consuming out of all of them besides the 10mm stuff already done. :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anodised colour selection :D I'll know for sure which colours I'll want once everything is built up.
    [​IMG]

Now I'll get right back into it but felt I was going at it for quite a while & not getting very far so stopped to check how long I was going to get those 6 tiny pieces out lol but it is very quiet work so I could go all day, all night & all day again which I very well might do & just take a 40 break every few hours to watch an episode of Chuck. :D

wejjy likes this.
  13. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Wow that is some dedication my friend, and if your previoous projects are anything to go by, this will be immense! I hope my metalworking skills one day match up or even get close to yours, subbing this deffo!

14. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I actually like the lime green finish there.

15. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

Mmmmm titanium finish. Yum.

16. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

great work so far waynio, Violet and Gun Metal Grey look great together.
    But could you live with a Violet computer ?

17. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Ouch! That is some life-consuming alu cutting... Brave you are, brave! :rock:

18. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Damn... I can't imagine cutting all that... :rock:

I'm torn... Ambivalent... I really wan't you to reach your deadling, but I also REALLY want to see you slap yourself in the face! :lol:

Keep it up man! Dedication that a Shaolin Monk would drop his jaw at!

19. alain-s

alain-s Minimodder

Lol that is a LOT of work u got there Waynio :D
    I have bin following this new build from u from the beginning. I never knew what to say every time i saw your progress. Because i just didn't had the right words for it. :(

Good look with sawing and maybe place the coffee maker next to your jigsaw :p

20. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

No words here, thats the most crazy amount of work ever bro! I wish you patience and strength my friend. About the anodize.... gunmetal and red perhaps? ;) Mod on bro you rock!!!