1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 7 Install - Needs DVD driver?

Discussion in 'Software' started by DD_nVidia, 29 Feb 2012.

1. DD_nVidia

DD_nVidia Minimodder

Hey there.

Went to re-install W7 on my i3 rig and after booting it wanted a driver for the DVD/CD Drive...

NEver had that the first time.

Everything is on the SATA2 controller (intel) - SSD and DVD drive.

Any tips?

ga-z68mx-ud2h-b3 motherboard, Sandisk240GB SSD, PioneerDVD drive

2. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

You don't need drivers for your optical drive.
    Your probably have your BIOS Boot order wrong. You need to have the DVD drive be first, than HDD.

If you want to do it via USB, for some super speed install (7min in my case), as Volund suggested:
    Here is the direct link of Microosft ISO to USB tool.
    http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

Windows doesn't have any disk protection. So any tool to make an ISO out of the disk, will work.
    I highly recommend a high-speed USB 2.0 memory key (the idea is to have something faster than your optical drive :), else the setup would be the same speed (~25-30min) or even slower)

BEFORE you install Windows,
    Be sure that you set your SATA controller (the one(s) that you are using), to AHCI, and NOT IDE.
    AHCI mode provides the following advantages:
    -> TRIM support for your SSD. Prevent rapid performance degradation of the SSD.
    -> NCQ support, boost HDD performance significantly, by reducing significantly it's access time:
    [​IMG]
    -> eSATA Support
    -> Hot swappable.

Use IDE mode only on Windows XP and older OS. Anything newer than XP, use AHCI.

Other BIOS feature to make check:
    -> have HPET set to 64-bit Mode, as you'll be installing 64-bit OS
    -> Under the memory section of the BIOS, be sure that you have eXteme Memory Profile set to Profile 1, and not Default, to use your RAM specifications.

Now you are ready to install Windows 7 (or 8 beta tomorrow)

Last edited: 29 Feb 2012
  4. DD_nVidia

DD_nVidia Minimodder

All the BIOS settings are right. Last time I installed it from a USB stick, but my large USB stick has my install for OSX lion on it for my 1TB drive. Suppose I could wipe it and lob windows
    On it.

Just weird. Nevergot an error like that before. It's in the windows installer after you select the language, it would ask for drives for the chipset, like on my i7 rig it asks for the SAS controller drivers. Bit it wants DVD/cd drivers, I stuck my motherboard disk
    In and tried everything possible. No further forward

5. DD_nVidia

DD_nVidia Minimodder

Just lobbed the install on a USB stick and it's doing the same thing... maybe it's a bad ISO..

Any legit sources of a W7 x64 HP iso? I've not got the disc but I've got my serial ): (Opreft with SP1)