1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project RabidCicada (Mineral Oil Computer) - 20th October 2010

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by RabidCicada, 21 Oct 2010.

1. RabidCicada

RabidCicada Minimodder

By requesting I meant I was requesting them from Maxim...the maker of the dallas one wires that crystal fontz uses.

I've been thinking about my issue. I might just have to go full nerd on this one:

I could focus on a high torque, check valve system. I'll be thinking more.

2. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

the problem with almost any positive displacement pump is they are never as quiet as centrifugal pumps. since your pump is submersed, that might not be as much of an issue provided you can isolate it so the vibrations dont transfer through the case.

positive displacement would make any restrictions in the system a non-issue though...

3. RabidCicada

RabidCicada Minimodder

If I did it with a nice slow but strong torque motor with the piston design like the video, I think it would be fine.

However I've had another turn of events.

I overlooked the pump they used in the PugetSystems mineral oil computer V4 DIY kit. I just got done talking to them on the phone, and through online chat, and they use the mcp35x pump. It was a pump designed with better hydraulic power than the standard. As a matter of fact it has better head pressure rating than my aquarium pump (eheim1262).

I had assumed that if I used legoman666's pump I'd be alright but I underestimated the pressure load.

I'm doing a pivot here and I'm going to trial the mcp35x. It has a WAY better form factor than my current pump and I'm guessing it would be quieter. If it trials well then I'll probably order another 1 or 2 and use those in my setup.

If that fails then I'll come back to the piston-pump idea.

4. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

Could always use a car radiator, cost is about the same if not cheaper than that rad you have. With a 3 core unit flow should be a non issue. And some still come full copper/brass so AL wouldnt be an issue either.

Or theres this, and daisy chain 2 or 3 of them, or dual 655's?

5. RabidCicada

RabidCicada Minimodder

Well,
    I'm pretty much done. Now I just get to tinker.

I've finished all physical construction and major case work.

[video coming as soon as it's uploaded and processed by youtube]

If you don't want to watch the video the following is a summary.

Updates to Computer itself:
    • Got 24 inch LED strips and trimmed shorter to fit in height of the aluminum post.
    • Dremel cut channels in aluminum stock for and routed LED power cables.
    • Cleaned up and sleaved all of the cabling.
    • Bundled cabling in the tank itself (vid cards, main power, and 3 x Deltek fan power).
    • Added much more cable management, tie-down spots, and zip-ties.
    • Tied-down heavy cables that exit the lid to the inner frame and to the lid itself to prevent cable tugging when the lid was opened (trying to pull cables out of the IO panel from the action of opening the lid)
    • Tested and love the MCP35X and now have a dual pump version of him on the way MCP35X2.

Updates to Radiator:
    • Added home-made 3 way splitter
    • Populated last 3 slots with fans
    • Only one cable from Radiator to case now

In the video I mention not being able to find Male 3 pin hooded power connectors. What I mean is find them on a large electronics distributor to buy in bulk. You can find them on Xoxide, as I did, and get them....But you're not able to get them in bulk for a reasonable price. Same for the pins. I spent a long time looking at molex's site and asking other EE's at my work.

The thing in the bottom of the tank is the "artifact mask" I bought from petsmart to decorate with...it just fell over >.<.

I took the computer to work for a local hackerspace meeting and a lot of people liked it. It was just as "easy" as I planned to move.

Moving Case:
    • Disconnect radiator tubes and cable
    • Exhaust 3 jugs worth of oil by hookng up an external 5a 12v power adatper with a molex connector directly to the pump and exhaust tube (Quick disconnect and tygon tubing).
    • Disconnect all other cables
    • Load jugs, computer, radiator onto vehicle

I did have one large spill though. I got distracted and overfilled one jug...luckily my wife didn't kill me:). And it actually cleans up reasonably easily with multiple towels. I might have damaged the washer though. I put a whole bunch of oily towels in the washer and washed then like 3 times in a row with tons of detergent. Apparently there was enough oil it warped a little of the seal. Still works far as I can tell...but now I gotta watch it.

Last edited: 16 Mar 2012
  6. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

effin awesome man, really glad this is all getting squared away!

7. RabidCicada

RabidCicada Minimodder

Hmmm....The top right fan in my radiator likes to make a little click. Gonna have to replace him. I pulled him out of my old computer and I guess he's just old.

8. RabidCicada

RabidCicada Minimodder

UpGrayeds!

I upgraded a little. Got my dual mcp35x2 pump yesterday, then sleeved and installed it today. It is two physical pump/motors that are tied into a single pump top.

Full Comp
    [​IMG]

Mask And Pump
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I had the motherboard extracted I figured I could also upgrade the PSU fan. I noticed some noise being caused by cavitation and wavering of the fan because it wasn't fully attached(only on one side). That wavering caused the fan-blade-axle to clonk back and forth perpendicular to the fan blades which made some noise. No more noise after the fix.

Extra Struts on PSU Fan
    [​IMG]

I also did go ahead and make a servo-syringe driven airpump just like the other guy cause I thought it was a cool idea. I knew it would be entirely too loud but I really like the idea. I specifically like the motion and would like a longer stroke with the armature to allow more "life" in the computer. The only problem is the servo is way to weak to drive the pump with a longer arm and WAY TOO LOUD period. It would be great to find a method that is quieter and capable of driving a longer stroke.

Keep Modding!

Last edited: 17 Mar 2012
  9. RabidCicada

RabidCicada Minimodder

whoops...realised I accidentally flick you guys off at 1:06.
    >.<

10. RabidCicada

RabidCicada Minimodder

Anyone got a good idea for filtering the oil? I put 2 layered coffee filters on before but the pump has enough force it popped the filters like a balloon.

11. Wicked_Sludge

dont forget that any pump you use can be submerged in the oil. ill bet that servo wont be all that loud once dampened by the thick oil. but if your really after some kind of positive displacement/piston setup, why not just use a regular crankshaft? that way you can use a normal single speed motor that doesnt have to reverse directions which will be quieter and more efficient than the servo.

why are you trying to filter the oil? are you having problems with dust? puget systems has been running their mineral oil PC for like 3 years with no filter and no problems....

12. RabidCicada

RabidCicada Minimodder

I was thinking for aesthetic reasons to keep the breathing apparatus outside the tank....but actually the pump being inside the tank seems like a good idea.

I wanted to filter because I've got a little bit of thermal interface material that settles on the bottom of the case, I think from the power supply internals. When I go to wipe it up with a papertowel it re-disperses into the oil (tried a couple times).

No big deal though.

13. Wicked_Sludge

use a hose and pump/siphon to suck the TIM up after it settles again?

14. RabidCicada

RabidCicada Minimodder

Well that was fun. I went to PAX East and won second place in the Custom Computer Case competition. Got a Geforce gt 440 for it.

I also added an intake tube to the pump to draw hot oil directly from the top of the case and I now top out at 55c on gfx cards and 60c on processer.

Better temps than before...but not quite where I want them. I might go try the cooler master TPC812 if it will fit in the tank. Gotta get measurements later today. I think it's thermal performance will be better than the current heatsink.

15. Wicked_Sludge

gratz on your award. you deserve it for the work you put into this case!

last year was our first year at PAX prime and it was phenomenal, so i can imagine PAX east is just as good.