1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress First Scratch Build, Monolith?

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by pAcMan, 31 Aug 2011.

1. pAcMan

pAcMan What's a Dremel?

Hello Everyone

So, this is my First projekt. It has been inspired buy Mystikal0412 Exoskeletonwith themes inspired by the Warhammer 40000 Necron Monoltih

The Marerials that I will use, will be mostly Plexi.

These are some pre-production SkecthUp Pictures, of how It will kinda look like.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a picture of the bottom of the case, the big black box is the PSU and the black cover around it is to cover up those nasty cables. The hole is for a 120 mm intake fan.
    [​IMG]

And here is an more detailed version of it, how I will mount the fans etc.
    [​IMG]

My Current Dilemas are:

How to mount the motherboard, since I don't think I got a spare computer case.
    How to get a good airflow thru the system. ( I am thinking about cutting out a hole in the bottom of the case, where air will be pulled thru (not the 120 mm hole but a smaler one in the front forgot that one in the SkecthUp Picture) but I do not know if that will be sufficient to cool my system, or if I should raise the black plexi and have holes under them, but I do i think it will ruin the look.)

So what are your thoughts?

/pAcMan

Last edited: 6 Sep 2011
  2. Harryo

Harryo What's a Dremel?

Sorry for my bad english but I will try to explain as good as I can.

About the MB I think that you should build a removable motherboard case(just like the ATC 840) and cut holes for the cables but leave some plexi(or other material) for the screws. About the airflow I think you can use the same setup as in the Raven pc case where the MB is turned 90 deegres so the graphiccard is turned up. With that I would use 1 or 2 intake 120mm fans in the bottom of the case and 2 at the top pulling out the warm air.

3. pAcMan

pAcMan What's a Dremel?

Okey, I see.

I am thinking about doing something like the ATC 840, but not as complicated. I not think that I will turn the motherboard since I think I will be hard to have the cables not ruin the look.

Could it work if I have the motherboard more in the middle of the chassi, so that I do not have to make an I/O plate and expansion slots, but I do not know just yet how I will do.

I will make an update with the motherboard I will use and some more SketchUp pictures.

4. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

5. pAcMan

pAcMan What's a Dremel?

Hehe, no, but I like the design :p

Here are some quick updates on the bottom and the back from the inside view.

Do you think the hole in the front will be sufficient? I think it is 5 cm (2") Times 16 cm (~6")

And how should I do about the motherboard tray? Should I have it more the the center to avoid expansion slots and I/O panel? And keep the Monolithic design on the back to?
    [​IMG]

And here is the Moderboard I will use, XFX nForce 780i, thought it would fit nice with the green and black.
    [​IMG]

/pAcMan

6. robi09

robi09 What's a Dremel?

Scratch looks great! I'm to my first scratch build too, you must be patient. ;)

7. pAcMan

pAcMan What's a Dremel?

Small Update, since I do not have my Saw yet I can't start cutting, but I will still work on the design, I now know how I will mount the side panel, I will slide it in. :)

And here are som SketchUps and a little teaser on my plexi :)

The Green Plexi
    [​IMG]

The Black Plexi, Shiny?
    [​IMG]

Yes, Shiny
    [​IMG]

My Rig
    [​IMG]

And How the rig will look thru plexi, I know the center line is not so sharp, stupid wind.
    [​IMG]

This is how I am thinking about mounting the HDD, you can also see the "grooves" I made to let the side slide in.
    [​IMG]

Side Panel from the front.
    [​IMG]

And a detailed view of how the should fit together.
    [​IMG]

/pAcMan

8. xMathiasD

xMathiasD What's a Dremel?

9. pAcMan

pAcMan What's a Dremel?

10. pAcMan

pAcMan What's a Dremel?

WOOO! Progress! Finally Started!

My first cuts today, I need to fix one of the sides, since it is not straight enough, but for a first time use with a "sticksåg" I am very happy :)

As I said, not the best cuts, but I am happy :)
    [​IMG]

How It will look from the inside.
    [​IMG]

How it will look from the bottom
    [​IMG]

Will try to cut more Tomorrow :)

pAcMan

11. Stark.Jr

Stark.Jr What's a Dremel?

Like your design and i hope you the best whit your first Scratch Build :)
    I will follow :D

//S.Jr

12. Skeese

Skeese What's a Dremel?

Good luck! :)

13. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

Good luck with the scratch it looks a nice design, the black and green combo will be a great look

14. pAcMan

pAcMan What's a Dremel?

A little update, just text though.

The side, back and middle panels are done with the outline cutting. The bottom is now completly done, screw hoels have been added to attach the fans.

Will try to get some photos of it progress tomorrow.

/pAcMan

15. james888

james888 What's a Dremel?

I am planning scratch build and was wondering how to connect a side panel. Your idea works with my build. I may use when I finally get there.

16. pAcMan

pAcMan What's a Dremel?

Okey, If you don't mind screws that is aloooot easier :p

17. Mystikal0412

Mystikal0412 Safety First, Think Twice!

Sorry, I missed your PM (5 months ago...). Great to hear that we actually inspired you to make a casemod as well!

Not sure what the status is on this mod? If I can give you advice, try to connect the lines from the bottom of the green window to the top. That would give it a more total idea.

Please give us an update. I will inform SqUeD as well on this mod!

Keep it up!

18. james888

james888 What's a Dremel?

Man. I would like to but I am not able to right now. Time and money issues. I would love to make a scratch mod. It would be my case that I would design to be just an amazing case. I have ideas kinda based of silverstone and corsair. Nothing much.

To sum it up... I would like to make a scratch build but I am just not able to right now.

Thanks. I'll keep you in mind.