1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project Sumerian Cry (26/04/2013) UPDATE

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by g1lgamesh, 12 Dec 2011.

1. g1lgamesh

g1lgamesh Minimodder

NEXT UP

Drilling the holes for the Motherboard LED Backlighting, this is so that the motherboard itself is backlighted (similar to the old abit boards)

ALso Mountain Mods motherboard trays have NO WIRE MANAGEMENT AT ALL (please feel free to mention this to MM)

So in essence though I will not be creating wiremanagement holes for the wires to go through instead one will be creating the facility to cable tie the wires onto the aforementioned mobo tray without using stick tie clamps

2. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Cant wait for the next update man!

3. g1lgamesh

g1lgamesh Minimodder

yeah the wire management will not be much, just a series of 3.6mm holes (similar to the LED holes) Ill be posting updates of the motherboard tray mod bit by bit

4. g1lgamesh

g1lgamesh Minimodder

5. g1lgamesh

g1lgamesh Minimodder

right LED's ordered and onthe way

6. Toppy

Toppy What's a Dremel?

Sweet build dude

7. g1lgamesh

g1lgamesh Minimodder

MOTHERBOARD BACKLIGHTING!

Been a while

Just to recap

I looked at an old universal abit tigerforce motherboard the other day and noticed the underside motherboard back lighting and i thought ooooooooh lets try to recreate that!

Now obviously i cannot solder leds to the motherboards used... however i can ALter the motherboard trays to give the same effect.

NOTE THE PLURAL... motherboard TRAYS as two computers fit inside one case here.
    THe other task was to ONLY USE what i had available on the HOUSE without having to go out and buy any further (for this section only) parts.

The choice i had in the house were SMD LEDS (these are fiddly to work with but give a GREAT viewing angle)

OR

Regular 3MM LEDS i opted for these as i WANTED the poor viewing angle as the motherboard outline should be SUBTLE and not like an ex-hippy at woodstock with his groovy mushrooms!

Now the rest of the case is essnetially BLUE in colour and indeed blue LEDS are a cliche these days and the other fashion (white) looks a bit cold so i opted for warm white (which i had in stock)

take one BORING mountain mods motherboard tray

front

[​IMG]

back

[​IMG]

using painters tape to slyly mark out where there LED holes should go:p

[​IMG]

I couldnt find my centre punch to mark the drill holls so a bit of creative effort was needed... I used the ENGRAVING tool to mark a little dent where the leds should go and then used a 1MM drill bit on the end of the dremel to make pilot holes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then simplyfrom there drill the holes......... CAUTION! Phenoptix says that you only need to drill a 3.8mm hole for the LED (to house the 3mm type holders....... This is incorrect indeed, you need to drill a 5mm hole in order to do this.......

Now thats all done we look at powering all these 29x3mm WARM WHITE LEDS......

Now i COULD have orders a power board for all of this, butthe idea is to re use whats in the house already soooooo..

TAKE one LAMTRRON FC 3 that has been in the cupboard for a while......

and use THIS for powering all the LEDS

NOTE YOU MUST HAVE 12 VOLT PRE-WIRED LEDS for this method to work!

BTW I recommend purchasing these from www.kustompcs.co.uk

[​IMG]

use an alan-key to unfasten the four bolts and the front face plate and the wire mesh comes off.

[​IMG]

By the way some shameless plugging of lamptron products here:D:D

There is a reason why lamptron are more expensive as they use the ORIGINAL METAL and not a plastic housing:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The knobs for lowering and rasing teh voltage are held in by washers sooo off they go..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next at the reat where hte circuit board is. there are two screws. Please remove them both.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

housing removed...

[​IMG]

underneath the circuit board there lies a glued on protective foam layer DO NOT REMOVE THIS

[​IMG]

Peeling a little off to give you an idea.

[​IMG]

now your thinking..........if the 5.25" housing has been removedwhere are you going to install this?

Good thinking batman! However since all the leds are wired into the motherboard trays it would be PRUDENT to SCREW the fan controller onto the back of the motherboard tray-this acting as the power source:D

This is why I said to keep the protective foam layer on.

http://forums.bit-tech.net/picture.php?albumid=1674&pictureid=26487

[​IMG]

If you see the RAF cup in the background.... no my family and i are not RAF rather my old man is ex Special Boat Service.

The method used above is why use the fc3 as just a FAN CONTROLLER....WHEN you can use it to POWER and change the brightness of LEDS and indeed CONNECT A WATER COOLING PUMP up to!

anyway this is where you get THE LEDS from.

I like this company they do some quality gear and at a fair price.

wHY opting for pre-wired? well lets face it i would have had to solder the wires on by hand and with a resistor to handle 12 volts that the max output of fc3 gives (per channel)?

My answer would be....why reinvent the wheel ? Another quote here comes to mind.. work SMARTER not HARDER!:D

[​IMG]

those LEDS

[​IMG]

http://www.phenoptix.com/index.php/prewired/3mm/12v/3mm-warm-white-led-12v.html

WWW.PHENOPTIX.COM

next will be installing and testing the LED's

EDIT NOTE!!!!!!!! I WILL be CHANGING THE FAN GRILLS to my own Customised version.

Each fan hole will be in the shape of a cuneifrom symbol

WHY pay 100 to 200+ for a 140.3 Fan grill at mncptech when you can make your OWN UNIQUE grill for a fraction of the price:D

Last edited: 10 Apr 2012
  8. g1lgamesh

g1lgamesh Minimodder

FAN GRILLS CONCEPT

I am NOT happy with te standard fan grills, they are FAR too basic and BORING!

lets change them shall we?

We have sumerian cuneiform on the side panels so why not on the front also???????

Lets change those fna grills and make some of my own. the FRONT fan grills will be in the shape of Cuneiform Symbols

For those whom are not aware SUMERIAN cuneiform stands for IDEAS AND CONCEPTS and not sounds and is non Semetic (like every other language including english)

These symbols are HOPE, Inanna (a sumerian goddess) and Reliability!

I have RENDERED These SYMBOLS using 3D STUDIO MAX and below this image is proof of the render done!

THIS IS CONCEPT WORK ONLY and will be designed soon!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. g1lgamesh

g1lgamesh Minimodder

First BASIC google scetchup image of the fan grill

[​IMG]

10. Fuganater

Fuganater What's a Dremel?

Those fan grills look CRAZY!

11. g1lgamesh

g1lgamesh Minimodder

cheers man

[​IMG]

thanks to secret reevie for helping out with turning my 3DS MAX files into google scetchup models

12. g1lgamesh

g1lgamesh Minimodder

fan grill coming along

[​IMG]

coming along now

13. g1lgamesh

g1lgamesh Minimodder

reevie and i opted to go for a LAYERED design giving the grills a 3d effect.

Disadvantages are that this cannot be laser cut and only cnc machine will do the job.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

middle symbol looked too fragile so 1mm bars were added.

[​IMG]

oops looks like there is a small issue on the lefr of the frame.

NOTE ONLY THE MIDDLE PART HAS BEEN LAYERED THUS FAR!

[​IMG]

fixed

[​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Apr 2012
  14. SilveR_172

SilveR_172 Minimodder

Wow ive seen this , before if i recall correctly :sigh:

15. g1lgamesh

g1lgamesh Minimodder

Ofcourse you have Martin!

i gave credit where its due if you read the above CAREFULLY you will note that I have given credit for the idea from Universal ABIT boards:D

and the LEDS are not soldiered onto the fan controller like YOURS, this is totally different these are on the MOTHERBOARD tray and is a TOTALLY a differing concept mate

16. g1lgamesh

g1lgamesh Minimodder

first symbol now has been layered

[​IMG]

17. g1lgamesh

g1lgamesh Minimodder

all symbol layers now completed

[​IMG]

18. g1lgamesh

g1lgamesh Minimodder

MOTHERBOARD TRAY LEDS

taking a small break from the fan grill for now let us move back to the backlit MOTHERBOARD LED SYSTEM!

after installation of all the LEDS pOWER SOURCE not turned on

[​IMG]

this is with just ONE test connector soldered on 7 leds out of 29 so far

stripped down fan controller powered on (this will be screwed into the BACK of the motherboard tray)

leds are split into four connections 3x7 1x9 so far i have powered on 7 LEDS' more to do in the morning.

[​IMG]

test power on

[​IMG]

note these leds are NOT differing colours they are just viewed at slightly differing angles. if you saw these and looked at them per LED they are of equal brightness and same colour.

[​IMG]

point proven

[​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: 11 Apr 2012
  19. secretreeve

secretreeve Lead design and realisation manager

hey gilg, no problem in helpin out with the rads, glad to be a part of it really. thanks for crediting me :D

the builds definatly coming along! cant wait to get the other thing but i have here for ya on there! hehe. you know what i mean ;)

keep up the excellent work!

also i got more done on those grills.

20. g1lgamesh

g1lgamesh Minimodder

Anytime fella

good to see someone an turn my ideas and 3d studio designs into real sketchup models.

Pleasure working with you:d