1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Lean and Green - 15-12-14 - as complete as it's going to get

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Waynio, 28 Jan 2012.

1. bguilleminot

bguilleminot What's a Dremel?

Amazing work with the Jigsaw. Really outstanding

2. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

Nice work Wayne. I can appreciate just how tedious that is.

3. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Incredible Wayne, must be awesome looking at a finished piece after staring at it for hours and hours and hours and.....!

4. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

I'm not saying that it WILL warp. I don't think I have ever sandblasted any type of sheet except for the 3mm G5 case aluminum. I just know that THAT didn't go very well.

You can put it on the floor, or you can sandwich it between 2 cars. If it want's to release the tension it will do it. :)

All I'm saying is to talk to someone who does this on a regular basis, just to make sure that you follow the protocol on this one! :)

5. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

I know the picture's already been quoted but I think it needed doing again ( and probably a few more times ) :)

Just stunning and the best thing is that it's got that flow that the sketchup drawings had :thumb:

So much work but worth every millimetre with the saw :rock: awesome .....

6. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks KoSoVaR, already a work of art :D this is just the aluminium cutting stage, the 1st stage of many so it's only just begun mate. :thumb:

All approaches have their advantages & disadvantages, to be honest I contacted a pro fabrication place either before or just after I did air cube asking about having pci/io pieces made but they never replied so I cut that option right off my options knowing I just needed to get better at making things myself, glad it went that way really else I wouldn't have developed my skills or experience paying others to have parts made for me & can make what I want when I want which is awesome & find it a little bit exciting that if I make 1 bad move on a piece either at the beginning, middle or end it can wreck it, nice touch of unpredictability going manual so it's definitely satisfying when you make a piece & it turns out good. :D

Cheers Mosquito :rock::)

Thanks bguilleminot, a scroll saw is a lot like a jigsaw except instead of holding & moving the tool you move the work piece, really excellent tool & would make an excellent addition to any DIY modders tool lot. :)

Seen some pretty amazing things made with scroll saws besides really nice 2d panels where they take little blocks of wood & make custom clamps for them & make a sweet 3d piece out of it, something I'll have to have a try of some time. :)

I have no doubt you do voigts, thanks mate. :D:thumb:
    The crazy thing is though I still not tried cutting wood on the saw yet, :lol: went straight at the metal & acrylic cutting. :D

:lol: Yeah silly amount of hours indeed :D I know it could have been done professionally really quickly but I'm in no rush & it makes me appreciate it more, thanks Nate. :)

Will do Angel & cheers for the heads up. :) Seen people sand blast normal 1mm thin cases & it looked straight forward, looks like you need special overalls for doing it though to stop it getting all over you, but whenever doing something new I always do it on a test piece to see how it goes first. :D
    To be honest though I'll probably sand them, got all the gear to do that & think I can make fairly quick work of it with my sanding strip idea. :)

:D Thanks bugeye that picture doesn't get old :rock: love the look of it amongst the other cut panels every time I walk past it so can't wait to see it on the actual build. :jawdrop:

I totally slacked off today, think it's because I was anticipating another 4 long day sessions to cut the other panel & then finding the stronger blades wich will make far quicker work of it especially with the extra start holes I added so I'll finish it tomorrow. :)

7. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

These panels are looking awesome, and the method of manufacture is true dedication to modding :thumb:

8. AK71

AK71 What's a Dremel?

Wow. All that needs saying really :) I thought I had the patience of a saint but that would probably drive me nuts

9. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

That is amazing Waynio! It´s a very tricky pattern to cut by hand, and you really did manage to make it flooooooow :rock:

10. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks Graham appreciated mate. :)

Thanks AK71 :) the more mods you do the more your patience grows I think. :D

Thanks quizz_kid I'm quite happy with it so far. :D

Enthusiasm, energy & focus was getting scarily low so had to let it recharge plus there are a few other things that's been making me not want to spend much time in the cellar so things have been on pause the past few days.

The 10TPI blades cut fast but easily get stuck to the aluminium so not a good option risking high damage to the panel, already know using a lube makes it impossible to see the cutting lines so not an option, the extra 5 packs of 12 TPI came today so can get right back at it & change blades regular instead of rationing them out until they wouldn't cut a thing. :D

I'll only do thick high volume cut pieces on metal now & again because of the time they take but will stay dedicated to doing the ones on this project.

I am going to sand all edges to get an awesome all over look but I'll do that after fixing parts together but of course I'll have to sand any connecting edges so they are perfect before fixing them but the disc sander & sanding drums & sanding blades will make quick work of that. :)

This is an update on the status & a little eye candy of what is done so far for something good as a last post for a bit because I'm going to be getting really stuck into getting the high volume cut panels done & then I'll start updating again once I've got through them because I'll be able to do regular significant updates then, think doing updates between the time consuming panels is making it seem longer. :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Been having a big flood prevention job done over the past 5 weeks & the room I got sorted was soon filled with the stuff from the other room so has been like modding in a big bin so it's been pretty bad for keeping my mind in awesome mode really.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

But when they finish the job which should be this week I'll be able to get it straight again & I'll be sorting the room with the saw in to be an awesome little modding room moving all my tools & bits into it :D I'll eventually make it a sound proofed room also so I can mod whenever I feel like it which will be awesome since my energy levels seem to mostly peak at night time.

Plus I'm going to make a really good photo booth soon, it's something that has been way overdue for quite a while. :)

jeckulz, Sarakon and peteski like this.
  11. peteski

peteski long live the pc

[​IMG]

[​IMG]:rock: :rock: :rock: +rep & 5stars

12. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D Cheers peteski appreciated mate, I nearly forgot I said regular updates to come but been stumbling a bit on that but I'll keep at it to keep them rolling. :rock:

13. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

It's the 10th, awesome update day or slap day. :D

If I could be bothered to I would use joke blood capsules & film myself slapping myself with sound effects & make it look like I knocked myself out & do many words spelled wrong & random for a couple of days for giggles but I just can't be arsed with all that. :hehe:

So after finding out the chunky blades didn't do as good as I thought they would I decided I'm just waiting for that job to be done & out of the way so I can make the room I'm modding in a bit nicer, I could stand it for so long but simply can't now, really is like creating in a garbage dump & was starting to think my name is Oscar the grouch. :worried:

14. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Looking good, update it today, and slap yourself! :D

15. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

Having an actual space just for your modding will make things so much easier.

16. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:hehe: Been eager to get back onto this for a while now.

It will be awesome knowing where all my bits are & not having to work around other peoples garage time, I've had many times I went into the garage & wasted a good 3 hours searching for my bits, it's so disorganised. :lol:

9 Days since I did anything on this. :(

Was told by the guys doing the work in the cellar they would come & do the finishing touches on 8AM Monday, they never came & we had to drag them aside to say what's going on & they said this Friday now. :waah:

So I'm going to start on the more simple panels because they won't hog anywhere near as much time to do so I could take a quick break every few panels, so my name is Oscar the grouch for a few more days. :lol:

17. Paslis

Paslis Minimodder

I still admire the patience you have Waynio very nice result mate. :D Keep them updates comming dude. :D

18. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

I´m all ears...

19. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Really nice.

20. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Will do & thanks Paslis, kinda killing me not getting anything done for so long now though, highly revved up & ready to mod but can't yet.

I'm all eager to press on, really am. :D

Thanks Pranja :)

The other cellar room will be done tomorrow so might take me the weekend to get the new modding room sorted ready for none stop progress but today I stuck the rest of the 3mm panel templates to the htpc parts. ;)

A day off is fine, a couple days off, then a few, then a week & time starts passing by fast but luckily I am 100% dedicated to completing this project this year, just this running out of blades & the job being done in the next room which caused the cutting room to be an absolute mess made me take a break from it, forming the modding workshop will be a long on-going thing but the first thing is to tidy & clean the room, add storage for all my bits & tools so everything is where it should be, then I'll get busy, should have updates rolling again either on the weekend or early next week, depends on how long that high volume cut panel takes me. :dremel: