1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Empire Strikes NEC

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by citizen.evremonde, 24 Jan 2012.

1. GeordieGoose

GeordieGoose What's a Dremel?

For plastic filler I used Milliput standard.

I got it from model zone in the town centre.
    The only issue is its a yellow colour but that was no issue for me as I'm planning on painting over it.

2. citizen.evremonde

citizen.evremonde What's a Dremel?

I picked up some Milliput at Hobby Lobby yesterday. Here is the progress, so far:
    [​IMG]

Bill Owen has been very influential in my modding. After reading a book from MaxPC, I ended up on Bill's case mod blog and was mesmerized. Bill is amazing and has taught me a ton. I was shocked when I private messaged him with a question and he actually responded (twice.)

Also, I think I have found the perfect sized Imperial logo for the power button. It is a Disney Collectible pin from the theme parks:
    [​IMG]
    I'll probably order the whole set, so I'll also have similarly sized Mandalorian and Rebellion insignias. Thanks again for all the help, you guys rock! :rock:

3. big F

big F What's a Dremel?

Miliput is an excellent thing, so many uses.

4. The Crusher

The Crusher What's a Dremel?

Nice :) cant wait to see the finnished product :)

5. citizen.evremonde

I got the Milliput sanded, apparently I didn't mix it long enough because there were soft spots even after 2 1/2 days of curing. (If you look at the last pic I posted, you can a large unmixed area of grey. I should have noticed that. :wallbash: ) The exposed soft spot sanded off and I have done two layers of epoxy on top of the milliput, so I can sand it smooth and flush.

[​IMG]

I took the plunge and got a real mask to replace the little surgical masks I've been using. This is a 3M "Paint Project Respirator." It's excellent so far. The epoxy I'm using has a very obnoxious odor, but with the gas mask on I can't smell it at all. I didn't check the price of cartridges, but the mask was only $30.

[​IMG]

Later today or tomorrow, I should have time to get some more work done (priming?)

Cody (citizen.evremonde)

6. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Cool, looking forward to that.

7. citizen.evremonde

Some Painting, Some Cutting, Some Planning

This is the front panel after two coats of regular primer. I'm concerned about the uneveness where the milliput and epoxy are. Does anyone know if filling primer will hide that?
    [​IMG]
    This cut reflects my initial plan to cut the back of the chassis to directly accommodate the angled mobo, now I have changed my mind about and it's reflected in the next pic.
    [​IMG]
    Now I've decided that acrylic is easier to work with than metal (famous last words, I'm sure.) I cut almost all of the back off. I left the sliver of metal on the right hoping that will still provide some support for the case. I want to fill this in with acrylic and possibly add some etchings to it.
    [​IMG]
    I ran past a garage sale near my house and picked this up. I'm thinking companion USB hub???
    [​IMG]
    I also picked up the automotive lights recommended to me on MNPCTech's facebook group. Apparently they run on 12v DC like molex connectors.
    [​IMG]
    By next week I hope to have the lights mounted (removably) in the front panel. I should also be finished cutting on the chassis and it will be ready to prime and paint.
    Cody (citizen.evremonde)

8. citizen.evremonde

Fan hole cut with 120mm fan mounted.
    [​IMG]
    It's not as lop-sided as it looks, scout's honor ;) Because the tri-panel goes fully around the the chassis it needed to be cut as well.
    [​IMG]
    Top fan hole, ready for mounting.
    [​IMG]
    I borrowed a contractor grade drill because my usual was dead. This DeWalt pack a mean punch. When you get close to going through the metal, the hole saw starts catching. Most drills stop, this one throws you around the object in a vicious attempt to break your wrist.
    [​IMG]
    Ta-da! Paint is on and the case looks awesome (even if I say so myself.)
    [​IMG]
    Another view of the paint job. I still need to make a few touch-ups, but I positioned the camera so no one can see them :)
    [​IMG]
    I haven't mounted the lights to the front panel yet, but I did paint the front panel (no pics yet it's not perfect.)
    See you guys next week,
    Cody (citizen.evremonde)

9. citizen.evremonde

Window Mounted and Front Panel Assembly

I used some indoor mounting tape (3M brand) to mount the front panel mesh as well as the acrylic window. I would have preferred the 3M 4010 "tape of the gawds," but is was unavailable at my local Home Depot. This stuff has a rating of 2 lbs., so it should work.
    [​IMG]
    The pièce de résistance of the project; the window mounted with the Storm Trooper details spray painted the same color as the case. At the last second, I thought this would look better than engraving mixing a fourth color (the frosted glass, with the glossy white, satin black, and silver) into the case.
    [​IMG]

Now all that is left is the acrylic backplate, the mobo tray mounting, and lights on the front panel.

See you guys later,
    Cody (citizen.evremonde)

10. BnZn

BnZn What's a Dremel?

Very nice so far, I love these old cases. I am looking forward to seeing how you manage all the cables in there, though :p