1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Dreampc Obsidian mod

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ying, 11 Feb 2012.

1. ying

ying What's a Dremel?

Hi! My nickname is ying and i’m a Young learning modder of 17 years old. This is my first post but it doesn’t means that it’s the first time I enter to this forum, the first time I entered in this forum was 1 or 2 years ago, in the beginning of my watercooling experience.

I'm not english native speaker so it's possible that my english in this thread will sound rare.

First o all I want to give THANKS to Coldzero, the only company nowadays who is sponsoring my project ;):

[​IMG]

For those who doesn’t know what is coldzero, coldzero is a little company (www.coldzero.eu) which dedicates to work with the acrylic and they really make awesome things, they have done some mod’s but their main objective is to make your ideas to real things, so the possibilities are limited to your imagination :) and their own too, because they sell some custom stuff for cases like obsidian series or the famous TJ07.

Other sponsors:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let’s talk about the mod:

My mod will be based in a obsidian 800D from corsair. One of the first objective is to watercool the max. possible hardware maintaining the same simple style that the own obsidian case gives, so to watercool everything and make the watercool system aesthetic look as simple as possible.

Now let’s talk about the hardware. I don’t think that I will renew the hardware so I will continue using socket 1366:

-Intel i7 920 D0 @ 4.2 GHz
    -Asus Rampage III Extreme
    -Point Of View GTX 480
    -Corsair Dominator Airflow II 6Gb (3x2048) PC3-15000(1866Mhz) - CL9
    -Corsair HX850
    -Seagate Barracuda 500GB

And about the watercooling:

-Ek supreme HF Full nickel + Easy Mount system (black)

[​IMG]

-Aquacomputer Aquagrafx gtx 480 nickel

[​IMG]

-Ek-FB RE3 - Acetal+Nickel

[​IMG]

-Black Ice SR1 480

[​IMG]

-Black Ice SR1 240

[​IMG]

-Swiftech mcp 655 (x2) + Ek D5 dual top (single loop) White Acetal

1-The acrylic body (this pictures are old pictures because I use this combo in old project and this is why in the pictures says yingmod and not Dreampc :)! ) :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2-Acetal top with bitspower plug:

[​IMG]

3-Acetal connector for the Ek top:

[​IMG]

A custom killcoil:

[​IMG]

And there’s some pictures about the the reservoir mounted:

[​IMG]

And this is the Ek top for 2 d5 pumps and single loop configuration. It’s white because the day I purchased it, the black one was out of stock:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is how looks like mounted in the case:

[​IMG]

-Fittings: Fatboy fittings of 13 mm OD
    -TFC Pass Through Connector - Fill/Drain Port
    -Scythe gentle typhoon AP-15 (1850 rpm) (x4)
    -Scythe gentle typhoon 3000rpm (x2)
    -Ram waterblock: Ek RAM Dominator EN nickel + acrylic.
    -4x120mm Fan Radiator Shroud, Black

[​IMG]

Actual build:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Style:

My mod is not original, I know it! I would like to thank to MurderMod who make’s awesome build and inspired to make my mod, since the first day I saw it I loved this style but how to make something similar to murdermod if they doesn’t work in obsidian cases? The only response I found it was to design my own pieces so this is why this mod could be remembering to murdermod for a lot of users and including me :)

How I work?

Normally, the modders create mod’s with their own hands and their skills but unfortunately I didn’t born with such good skills but I still loving the perfection so decided to learn by my own way to use CAD software for previewing my ideas. Everything in this mod is designed with CAD software, for the main sketch in 2D I used Autocad:

[​IMG]

And when I got the 2D sketch’s OK I try to make it in 3D for checking that all is fine and they fit properly. To do that I use Solidworks 3D CAD software:

[​IMG]

And for “rendering” I use the photoview 360 from the own Solidwork. I know it, Photoview 360 is not the best tool for rendering but I didn’t got the enough time to learn to use other one’s.

The solidworks is not as easy as the sketchup but it gives some interesting options that sketchup doesn’t offers.

After the design is OK, I send the CAD file to Coldzero and they cut every piece to the millimeter with laser-cut tech. The result: awesome finish!

The main designs:

This is my first post in this forum but I’ve been working in my mod for at least 1 year. So there are some old designs which are a reality, some of they are:
    -PSU plate:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Custom GTX 480 backplate design:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Custom obsidian 800D midplate design:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Motherboard tray plate:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Custom 120/140 rear fan grill by coldzero:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nowadays I’m working in a new full faceplate which will be fitting in front of the default faceplate from corsair.

The basic structure is something like this:

[​IMG]

To place the faceplate, I will use few little backplates:

[​IMG]

This little backplates will fit inside the obsidian 800D default faceplate structure:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With screws like this one’s:

[​IMG]

but in black. There is a little space for the rehobus (lamptron fc5 v2) wich will fit if perfectly and will look like the rehobus it’s integrated with the own pc case:
    [​IMG]

Up there, this it’s just the structure but now comes the customization and design, so the aesthetical part. The most actual design of the faceplate is this one:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like it but I think that it could be better so I will try to make new design in the future :)! (The red circles are power and reset buttons)

But that’s not all, I’m working in a new motherboard tray plate. This one will be different; this one will follow the idea to "integrate" the hardware in the case.
    For doing that I will situate some plate's in front of the mother board which will look like a plate that goes out from the motherboard and the other idea in the new plate is to make the PSU cables invisibles, what I mean is that the own PSU cables will looks like they comes from the own case.

The new faceplate by now it’s just a concept so I need to work hard for getting it done ;)! (the design I mean).

To be continued... :)

Last edited: 2 Apr 2012
  2. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

doing well for a 17 year old! Nice styling, I'm pleased you ended up using zeros and 'O' with the middles left in, I think it looks untidy when they're not there.

3. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Very nice!

Looks a lot like a murdermod, but we all need some inspiration! :thumb:

4. ying

ying What's a Dremel?

Thanks! :) the main problem of being a 17 years old modder is the time, with the studies, I can't dedicate the enough time I would like in the project.

Yeah! it's true :). It could be a not really original project but thanks to murdermod, I interested in modding and learned to use autocad and solidworks and infinite things more :lol: .

Hope I can give some news about the project in the coming days :D .

5. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

A very great start, well done! Great work! :thumb:

6. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

this is just some great workart!

7. ying

ying What's a Dremel?

Thanks for commenting :) this is just the starting. Nowadays i'm working in something related with this:

[​IMG]

To be continued :)

8. ying

ying What's a Dremel?

Few new designs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This plates will be attached to the motherboard in the PCI zone and screwed directly to the motherboard holes.

9. ying

ying What's a Dremel?

The new design and probably the final one for the motherboard plate:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

It's an 800D, I'm following :D

11. ying

ying What's a Dremel?

:) yeah! it's a obsidian 800D but not for a long time muahaha!

A little offtopic, I've just found that:

-This are PSU plates for obisidan 800D / 700D cases and they are really intertesting :D :

[​IMG]

http://www.coldzero.eu/product.php?id_product=824

[​IMG]

http://www.coldzero.eu/product.php?id_product=821

[​IMG]

http://www.coldzero.eu/product.php?id_product=823

[​IMG]

http://www.coldzero.eu/product.php?id_product=822

[​IMG]

http://www.coldzero.eu/product.php?id_product=818

You have the other types here: http://www.coldzero.eu/category.php?id_category=143

My favourite one is the ROG logo one wich come's with SMD leds preinstalled :). In my opinion, a must-have accessory for obsidian users.

Mine is this one:

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/203/ying03.jpg

But due to major changes in the project, I will redesign it according to the other pieces.

Last edited: 11 Mar 2012
  12. Mork

Mork What's a Dremel?

This is definitely looking interesting!

How are you manufacturing the parts? Do you have access to some fancy CNC cutter or similar, or is it done the ol' school way? :)

/Mork

13. ying

ying What's a Dremel?

Good question :)

My project is sponsored by ColdZero and they are professional with the laser cutting tech so I draw the designs and then, I send to him the Autocad files and he, cuts the pieces with laser.

Is fascinating the finish of every pieces, it's like CNC cutting, but for cutting acrylic is easier with laser cutting.

14. ying

ying What's a Dremel?

New sponsor:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 17 Mar 2012
  15. ying

ying What's a Dremel?

New hardware update, a brand new gtx 480 for 200€:

[​IMG]

For a SLI config and watercooled too:

[​IMG]

With some accessories:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And new gpu backplates is going to be designed with LED integrated.

16. Maximilian

Maximilian WC Virgin

Awesome work, subbed.

I now want an illuminated ROG PSU midplate for my 800D!

17. ying

ying What's a Dremel?

Hi! this are the new bkacplates designs:

[​IMG]

The backplate consists in 2 plates, the main plate is the one that have the gtx 480 letters and this will be made with black acrylic, the other plate will be red acrylic and I will integrate some SMD leds connected directly to the gpu fan connector. The leds will illuminate the letters and the red plate wich will be under the black plate.

18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

17 And knows solid works nicely :jawdrop::clap: I wouldn't know my rear from my elbow on that :D looking excellent, subbed. :)

19. PowerChucker

PowerChucker What's a Dremel?

You may be young, but you are designing this like a seasoned Pro! wow. i love the vid card backplate you made, and the vid cards water block is very nice! :thumb:
    I cant wait to see how this turns out.

20. ying

ying What's a Dremel?

Thanks for commeting :D, I know how to use solidworks for what I want but there are a lot of solidworks features that I don't know how to use it so I can consider myself as a novice ;).

This are the renders of the final backplate design, illuminated with red leds. Simple and aesthetical:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]