1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals New mouse time

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BioSniper, 11 Mar 2012.

1. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Hi guys,

My old Deathadder (1800dpi) is on it's way out so it's time for something new.
    I purchased a R.A.T 7 recently (I loved the adjustability) but it turned out to be a steaming turd with massive tracking issues, so that was returned right away.

The Steelseries Sensei is too slippery for me as I suffer the dreaded sweaty palms when gaming, the Roccat Kone+ apparently is badly built suffering random stuff like failure of the scroll wheel, and the Lachesis I have the feeling may be slightly too small for me in terms of it's over all height.

I'm a palm/claw grip with a predominance of palm usage over claw depending on how I feel.

So what really are my options if I don't want another Deathadder?

Budget < £80.

2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Logitech G700, amazing mouse for the money!

3. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I probably should have said I prefer wired!I tried the G700 in a shop actually and didn't like the feel I'm afraid.

4. longweight

Oh ok, you can run it wired and I do most of the time.

5. PyrO_PrOfessOr

PyrO_PrOfessOr What's a Dremel?

I really like the CM Storm mouse - I bought it instead of the WoW mouse (because I'd rather hold a spiked ball than that beast) and its really great. Tons of programmable buttons and modes and really comfy in the hand!

6. catsol75

catsol75 What's a Dremel?

I use the roccat kova + and for about 35-40 its decent

7. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

How about the Razer Imperator? It's an evolution of the Deathadder in many ways. Having used it before I can attest to the Imperator being a great mouse, but if you can you should go to a store, try a few mouses and then either order the one you like most online or try to get a rebate or something like that.

8. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Source up a Logitech G5 - V2 with the dual thumb buttons. Only mouse you will ever need.

9. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

Mionix Naos, great mouse if you have big hands, picked up mine for around £40

10. down18

down18 What's a Dremel?

I resigned myself to spending about 60 quid on a mouse before going into PC World and finding the Logitech G400 suited my hand shape better than any of the more pricey options (apart from perhaps the Sensei which you already discounted.)

Unless you're wanting more buttons than you had and you have nowhere nearby where you could try some different ones out, I'd recommend the G400, but really I would try and find somewhere to try them before splashing out.

11. Seglespaan

Seglespaan What's a Dremel?

I have the gigabyte M8000X and love it. It's not too slippy, 4 dpi settings, a host of macro buttons and looks the part too.

Not too pricey either.

12. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Cheers all. I'll have to pop down pissyworld as I know they have some of the Logitechs, Roccat's and Razers on display.
    Did some digging into the logitech mice and it still seems like on them though you cannot disable acceleration/prediction ? Seems kinda crazy..

13. longweight

I am sure that I can disable acceleration if I want to on my Logitech!

14. down18

down18 What's a Dremel?

By prediction, do you mean when the mouse predicts when you're moving it in a straight line?

My G400 seems to do it a lot less than my flatmate's MX518 anyway. Not sure if it's been completely removed, but if it is there then it definitely seems less intrusive.

15. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Logitech G400, I got mine recently and I'd say it's a step up from the MX518 (which was in itself a seriously good mouse).

If you pay more than £40 you're just getting macro buttons, only you can decide if you want that.

16. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

I have this mouse and can testify to its greatness.
    Good aesthetics/price too.
    Old Bit Tech review here:-

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/peripherals/2010/08/29/cm-storm-inferno-review/1

17. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

I got a g400 to and its great, but you can get the g500 which has some more buttons.

18. phoenixck

phoenixck What's a Dremel?

The problem with asking advice for a mouse is that the fits more important than anything. Any decent mouse will have enough DPI and all the buttons in the world is no good if the mouse is horribly uncomfortable, looking at you razer naga epic.
    Personally The roccat kone is brilliant if you have more of a claw than palm grip, and nearly all the issues with the mouse come from the kone not the kone +, which is on a totally different level and has a far better build quality.
    Personally I have yet to find a Logitech that feels comfortable and doesn't give me cramps in under ten minutes.

19. kol

kol What's a Dremel?

Mx510/518 or microsoft intellimouse 1.0/3.0

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

20. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

So, I went and had a play with a handful (pun totally intended) of mice the other day.
    I managed to test the G500, G400, the wireless model (G700?), Razer Deathadder (my current rodent), Razer imperator, Razer Naga, Roccat Kone[+], Roccat Kova[+], a Razer lachesis from one of my mates, my old MX 510 that I dug out of the cupboard, a Sensai and a couple of regular Microsoft mice and some other low end ones for comparison.

The newer Logitech G500 and G400, while having a nice palm feel were oddly too narrow. Compared to my old MX510 they felt a lot more slender than I had expected. I've not looked into the physical size of them at all because I think feel means a lot more than measurements :)

The Deathadder and Imperator which I was able to try side-by-side were almost the same size in width and length, however because of the much higher arched back of the Imperator, the Imperator felt too short in the body. This resulted in a claw grip. Later reading indicates its a claw/palm rather than a palm/claw which I prefer.
    So the Imperator was crossed off my list.

The Naga, surprisingly comfortable for a mouse that looks so horrid. But so many buttons made it actually loose it's usefulness as a mouse.

G700, nice size, but the "pinky rest" on the right, by god was that just uncomfortable for my hands. Other than that could have been the one.

The Lachesis and Kova were very similar. Actually a good hand feel but a little too "flat" so not enough for me to really palm with. Out of the two the Lachesis would have my vote however being closest in comfort to the deathadder.

The standard stuff was a "meh" as most of the standard stuff goes. Very much either too small or too heavy.

I did however, try the Roccat Kone[+]. This ended up being the one for me. I had to put my fear of one failing aside because it was so comfortable!
    Oddly ends up being a slight finger-tip grip which seems to work OK for me even though I thought it would be horrible.
    One of the features that I thought a gimmick actually has ended up being one of the best things about it, the sensor calibration to surface function. First time I placed it on my cloth mat (old razer mantis) the cursor skipped across the screen like mad and I was glad to have bought a new hard mat which I heard laser mice prefer, however punching the calibrate button resolved it quickly and I was able to use my cloth mat. Not sure what I'll use the hard mat for, I'm sure I'll find something.
    The downer however was cost. £65 is NOT cheap for a mouse, however it was within my budget and I figure, other that my monitor and keyboard its the only other physical interface to the machine that gets significant use and you have to buy the right thing.

Many thanks for all your suggestions and I wish I could have tried every mouse on the list, but my local store didn't have everything :(

Tags: