1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Mass Effect 3 review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 9 Mar 2012.

1. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Was really looking forward to this game, but the outcry regarding the ending is seriously off putting, it sounds like they couldn't think how to actually end it or rushed it out the door before it was truly finished.

2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

think they were trying to get that snuffaluffagus crowd.. the ones that never played the others

that's the way ea is anyway- like the huang of games.. I'm not sure what roger is on about skyrim.. that's bethesda.. awesome game- no hype there imo.. but I also liked oblivion

3. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

I'm just bitter cause it got 10/10 all over the place and I don't like it :p

4. triprunner

triprunner What's a Dremel?

5. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

This is the last AAA title I'm buying. This and BF3 were a let down. I'm getting loads more fun from all the indie games I've been buying. Blows my mind that these studios with massive budgets can put out crap.

6. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

It seems like Bioware really liked the idea behind Matrix: Revolations idea (did they not notice how many have mentally blocked that this film even exists?)

7. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I thought you were spot on, ME3 and Skyrim seem to be in exactly the same boat. Massive marketing campaigns to make sure the game will succeed at all costs without really living up to their hype.

They both seem to have the same kind of fans: people who really enjoy certain aspects of the game and are willing to overlook flaws in the game because of them. There's nothing particularly wrong with that, people are free to like whatever game they want, but when reviewers who are meant to give objective descriptions of the game get affected by it I get annoyed.

8. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

9. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

Exactly! You said it better than me.

10. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

I read enjoyed the game, but wow, that ending better not actually be the ending and be followed up by some free DLC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

The ending was terrible. Not only are the 3 endings essentially identical, they also make no sense. Oh and choice went out the window. You are forced into picking a crap ending which leaves you with more questions than answers.. and it offers no closure at all. Why Bioware thought that ending this fantastic trilogy (ME3 is great up until the end) this way was a good idea, I'll never know.

12. Podge4

Podge4 Oi, whats your game?

I've just completed it. Im like some ppl, i loved this but the last few mins are a bit of a let down, but it won't detract from how much i enjoyed the 3 games.

13. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I just finished it last night, having avoided reading every review and opinion around in order to have an unbiased point of the view. The only thing I didn't avoid was that the ending was controversial (or more plainly: apparently crap).

Having now finished, the ending was a hundred million times better than I had come to expect. Honestly, was THIS what people were complaining about?

When people were claiming it was an unsatisfactory ending that didn't offer any closure, I was expecting Shepard to get suddenly killed off halfway through the last mission, leaving you with no idea whether the Reapers were successfully defeated or not. That would be unsatisfactory.

Instead, I got every answer I was hoping for, specifically: will I save Earth? Will I defeat the Reapers? Will I save my crew? I got answers to all of these. Job done in my opinion. Everything else is fluff. Okay so the ending wasn't dictated by my in-game choices like ME2 was, but that honestly didn't bother me. Deus Ex has pretty much precisely the same ending, and that didn't stop it being classed as one of the greatest PC games ever made. Granted there have been better endings out there, but compared to recent tripe like Rage's ending, this was first rate.

All in all, I thought ME3 was pretty bloody amazing, and I'm surprised at the negative comments on here. In many respects, I'd say it was better than ME2.

Specific things I liked about the game were:
    - Improved side-mission structure (as opposed to ME2 repetitive system of every single crew member having a "favour" they need you to do to ensure success at the end of the game)
    - Improved combat. The one-button system I thought worked very well, and I didn't struggle with doing the wrong action in the way Joe did. For the first time, the balance between weapons, ammo type and biotic powers really came together to make for an interesting fighting experience. Plus I got endless kicks out of one-shot gibbing enemies with my upgraded Black Widow sniper rifle. I even thought the turret sequences were better than most.
    - Far more interesting enemies. Reaper, Geth and Cerburus made for a very varied roster to fight, and enemies such as the Banshee are triumphs of design (whilst being bloody terrifying)
    - More varied combat arenas. Typical levels weren't as linear as in the past, and special stages like fighting a Reaper one-on-one with no backup just didn't happen in the previous games.
    - More dynamic hub levels. Places like the Citadel were far more interesting to run around this time around, as they changed every time you visited them.
    - More involving story. As good as ME2 was, the Collectors always felt like a side-mission. This time we're dealing with the end of all civilisation, made for a more engaging plot.
    - More satisfying story. Even ignoring the ending, I managed to get so much 'big stuff' done in ME3. Ended a 300 year war, cured the genophage, reintroduced entire species into the galaxy. Even got Joker a girlfriend. That's a lot of stuff to feel satisfied about. In comparison, ME1 and more so ME2 just seemed to deal with smaller things.

Granted there were some things that could have been improved: I still miss the vehicle missions from the first game, but the pros so hugely outweigh any cons in my opinion I'd go as far as giving it a higher score than Joe did.

All in all, I'd put it up there with the very best of recent games, and taking the trilogy as a whole, one of the greatest gaming experiences of the last decade.

Tags: Add Tags