1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory BIOS Memory test failure... but only some times

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kensei79, 14 Mar 2012.

1. Kensei79

Kensei79 What's a Dremel?

Some help please guys.

ok I have just built (my first time) a pc with

I5-2500k
    MSI P67A-GD53
    8GB corsair Vengeance DDR3
    Dark Rock Advanced
    Cruical M4 64GB SSD
    1TB hard disk
    Windows 7 Pro

Now I seem to have an intermitant memory error. Firstly i have developed a series of beeps on boot up. Looking at hte MSI website it says my Click BIOS 2 is AMI BIOS and a long beep and 3 short beeps is a memory failure above 64KB according to several websites. So given that...

-Windows recognises the correct 8GB or Ram
    -Windows memory test reoprted no errors
    -BIOS memory test reported fail 1st time and an instant repeat of the BIOS test reported NO errors
    - i tried restore to optimal default settings options in BIOS (i've noticed my Mionix Naos 5000 mouse doesn't like the BIOS and a slight movement results in very rapid screen changes. I there for reset to optimal defaults in case a BIOS setting had been changed and I hadn't noticed)
    -restart after that 2nd test still resulted in the beep code indicating memory failure/error

I should note that due to the size of the cpu cooler I can't use the memory slot closest to the cpu, and the cooler ever so slightly leans on the the memory stick in the 2nd slot (from cpu) but i dont' think it leans enough to disrupt it. Unfortunately because I have 2x 2GB and a 4Gb sticks I have to use 3 slots for now. I'm hoping to avoid replacing the the RAM with new sticks to test that.

Any suggestions as to what might be wrong and how to fix it? I'm still trying to locate BIOS settings that some websites suggest might be the reason as its a new build with new parts.

Any help appreciated

2. Kensei79

Kensei79 What's a Dremel?

As an update and in the hope someone will suggest something....

I have removed and installed the memory 1 RAM stick at a time. Each stick still has the BIOS error beep code, and yet still passes the BIOS memory check individually.

Maybe its a BIOS setting, but I wouldnt' know where to start with that

Help please. Any ideas???