1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Socket 2011 Cooling

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by healthhazad, 4 Mar 2012.

1. healthhazad

healthhazad What's a Dremel?

Hmm doesn't sound like the H100 is that great then?

I noticed Scan had one of their overclocked kit deals using a 3960X and a H100 - 4.6Ghz which was what lead me to believe the H100 must provide good cooling.

Out of curiosity Pookey - what is the cooler like when your not overclocking the chip?

I'm not intending to overclock, at least not any time soon.

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

At stock the H100 is fine. At 4.6 it will "OK"... at 4.7 it starts to become merely adequate, and at 5GHz, ****ing useless.

Temps at 4.7GHz (my 24/7 OC) running Intel Burn Test on Max are around 75C.. and that's with the H100 in Max... so it sounds like a small tornado!

3. healthhazad

Ouch that's toasty!

I don't suppose you have rough figures for the temps at stock - rest and load?

There should just be a shop I can go to and say 'put this build together and let me see if I like it'

4. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

the spacing may be the same, but because of the built in backplate your meant to screen it in to the plate, but obviously there is always X- socket :thumb:

if your talking size problem, then that should't be a problem, I had a NH-D14 running on the RVIE before I got her water-cooled.

5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

That's running IBT at maximum bad assness however. Running prim95 is around 70C... gaming never tops 65 or so. Even 75C is acceptable for SB-E.. it's a hot running chip compared to standard SB.

At stock, with H100 on minimum, I see idle 31 full IBT load 67. With H100 on Max... I see idle 29 - full IBT around 60C

6. healthhazad

Not too bad then - I keep hearing that SB-E is a hot chip, I suppose I am comparing it to my old kit which is nothing like as powerful or hungry.

7. thetrashcanman

They have a throttling temp of 91 C if I remember correctly. and for general use you don't really want them to go over 80 degree's C.

8. healthhazad

Yeah - I very much like to keep all my components running as cool as is reasonably possible.

As a custom water loop is currently not on my options list it comes down to something like the H100 or a very good air cooler which doesn't impact on my RAM slots

9. thetrashcanman

What Ram will you be running? When I had my RIVE I had an NH-D14 with corsair dominators and they fitted underneath fine, as long as you take of the heat spreaders on top of the dominators.

Anything like Mushkin Ridgeback ram or Dom GT's with the heat spreader's off would be fine, or Low profile Vengeance.

10. healthhazad

You read my mind - I was going for Corsair Dominators and I have seen the article on removing the spreaders from the tops of them.

Always been curious how this effects the heat dissipation if at all?

11. thetrashcanman

Made bugger all difference to mine mate, just as long as you have a fun blowing cool air over them it will be fine.

12. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

I missed your reply earlier. I had forgotten the the ROG boards have X-socket. That means I should have it up and running tomorrow afternoon :)

Got a few days of testing thermal compounds under air (I'll be testing 6 thermal compounds for aquatuning, with the added bonus that I will know what is best for my use) before I put it under water. I already have everything for water cooling it, and by the time I wet it I will have a couple of quick disconnects so I can swap out GPUs without draining the loop :)

13. thetrashcanman

Ah you managed to get there reviewer thing? I saw that on Facebook, shall have to try it when they next are going to send samples out :D

14. debs3759

Yeah, I was one of those selected. I already had a couple of decent compounds, and have a couple more en route to me. I know some people got a review back to them pretty fast, but I'd rather be known as thorough :)

I found out about it by reading posts in their forum area here. I kep an eye on all the sponsored forums just in case of a good opportunity :)

15. H4wk1e

H4wk1e Minimodder

anyone suggest a good a air cooler that will fit the 2011 socket and will cool a i7 3930k good enough to get 4.5 - 5ghz

16. debs3759

I'll be trying a Dark Rock Pro on my 3930K later today, using the X-Socket. The same cooler bought now has the proper 2011 fittings. I'll post here if it gives me good results.