1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Should I wait for the GTX 670 and Core i5-3570K to finish my build?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Perfectly Naded, 16 Mar 2012.

1. Perfectly Naded

Perfectly Naded What's a Dremel?

Aright guys I'm not sure if I have enough patience :p All I am missing to complete my build is the GPU and the CPU.

Basic question, should I wait for the new Ivy Bridge CPU's and the GTX 600 series to come out? Or simply get these 2 now:

Intel Core i5-2550K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Without IGP BX80623i52550K
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115230
    Now: $239.99

SAPPHIRE 11197-01-40G Radeon HD 7970 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card OC Version
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102982
    Now: $579.99

---

Here is my MoBo:
    ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131790

2. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

If you can force yourself to wait, then do so. More for the GPUs than the new Ivy Bridge CPUs which are unlikely to show big gains in games.

I'd never suggest buying a next generation card, especially a high end one until both sides have released their cards and the market becomes a level playing field.

3. down18

down18 What's a Dremel?

If you don't wait however, get the 2500K instead of the 2550K.

Cheaper, and still retains the inbuilt GPU that the 2550K doesn't have which you might need at some point.

4. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

If you believe the rumours, the first kepler cards will be launched on the 24th, which is a week on Saturday. Most people that would really know are keeping quiet about it, but I know I will be watching the NVidia site and a few review sites all of next week (not that I don't already...).

5. down18

down18 What's a Dremel?

Has there been a definite official release date for Ivy Bridge released yet? Still not sure whether it's been pushed back into June/July or if that's just the mobile processors.

6. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

Well, in the feedback thread, it was mentioned by BT staff that this week they've been posting fewer reviews because they are working hard on a major release. I think that can only be the 680 and or 670 so I really expect some reviews before the 24th. Not sure what that will mean for UK availability though.

Also I might be completely wrong :)

7. debs3759

According to an official looking slide leaked by donanimhaber, the first IB chips (including high-end processors) will be released on March 29. I'm hoping they are, coz I already sold my 2700K and my Z68 system is currently inactive.

8. down18

down18 What's a Dremel?

Hate to say but that says April 29th, not March!

That's kind of annoying anyway, I was hoping to build a new system around the 10th of April. Ah well, hopefully it's not true.

9. debs3759

Damn, I shouldn't try being helpful late at night :) Oh well, my X79 build will be well tested by then ;)

10. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

youll be at least an extra few months for kipper

11. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I have a feeling Ivy Bridge is released on the 24th March, Scan are having an event then, and not much detail has been given about it.

12. down18

down18 What's a Dremel?

I suspect that might be Kepler. A few things seem to be pointing to that date for it while I can't remember the Ivy Bridge date EVER being before the 8th of April. And without any major competition, what's Intel's incentive to launch it earlier when they still have Sandy Bridge stock?

I think annoyingly the 29th of April seems more realistic. Oh well.

13. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

for kipper to be release any earlier than april, seems extremely premature, taking into light the severe lack of public relations in Nvidia regarding this card. Currently there is no hype as such for this like there was with the new ATI's, as in a solid release date or even a verifyed benchmark that it defo exists lol

14. trig

trig god's little mistake

ib was original set for q1 of 2012...but that was long ago...i did see a few things myself that pointed to a late april release as well...

as far as what's the incentive? that's never stopped them before...what was their incentive for releasing sb when lynnfield was beating amd in everything and there is still stock out there...lol...i think the theory they delayed ib because of sb stock was a fairytale...that's never been a deciding factor...re-couping costs on the newer tech is more important than clearing old older stock...they just drop the price on the older stuff...a wholeseller i have used in the past told me they have no more sb stock at this point than they have had at other new chip release dates

i agree 100% on the pre-april release of kipper...nvidia has a pretty good track record of releasing info on specs and launch dates, and then not hit those dates...lol...i think they would have come out and said something if they were remotely close, if only to curb the impatience of the potential 7970/50 buyers just a little longer...but the web is buzzing about the 22nd or 24th or w/e...i'd love to see it, but i don't believe it is then

15. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

it will be a while after IB i think, were talking may/june/july period or dare i say it after