1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Lian Li PC2 modz

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Dremel_Freak, 19 Jul 2001.

1. Dremel_Freak

Dremel_Freak What's a Dremel?

Here's what I'm working on at the mo:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 4-way rheo will be connected to an ALU fanbus with plug-in connectors and inter-connected via a DIN lead. All case LED's are clear blue. :D

2. slau

slau What's a Dremel?

I like it :) Although I much prefer big expensive shiney cases which I spend all summer saving up for *grins*

3. Darkhorse

Darkhorse What's a Dremel?

Slau

Would your shiney case have a 140mm fan fitted by any chance? :p

4. Evilbob

Evilbob What's a Dremel?

thats a nice lookin case , methinks it wud look better in black thou :p

5. Koolvin

Koolvin The Modfather

well not everyone can... this is what the article was done, to show u can have a KICK ASS pc at a wicked price!

6. [GiB] Spawny

[GiB] Spawny Xqpack Lovin

DIN Plugs

Nice to see other people like the idea of DIN plugs.

Makes life alot easier if you need to move things around.

Any pictures of how you went about it, so I can compare?

l8ers.

Last edited: 23 Jul 2001
  7. Dremel_Freak

Here's the latest images:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The red illuminated rocker switch doesn't light up because it's not a 12v switch - anyone know where I can get 12v illuminated rocker switches?

Another interesting problem. I changed the PWR and HDD LED's for clear blue ones, usually no problems - doesn't work here! Normal 5v red, orange, yellow etc ones work fine but I tried 4 different blue LED's and none work. Strange. Anyone help here?

8. slau

slau What's a Dremel?

Got them the right way round? Silly question I know, but just got to ask :) what Mobo is it?

Looks really good though.

9. Dremel_Freak

Eh - yeah :) The mobo is an Epox 8K7A+. Strange thing is it worked fine with blue LED's in the Coolermaster case - hmmmmmmm..............

Dunno.

10. Koolvin

Koolvin The Modfather

Looks like the fanbus from a APS 2000 only pluggable and with a LED - Nice touch with the ALU - Look out for the APS 2000 review soon (yeah yeah I always say that - had a SCUZZY card failure :( )

11. [GiB] Spawny

APS 2000 (Patent Application Number: 0030712.4)

APS 2000 (Patent Application Number: 0030712.4)

Same but different or is it?

[​IMG]

It's nice to know my idea is good and original, that's why I patented mine last year.

The simple ideas often make the best solution but must be protected for that reason. If you have an idea and business model built around it you need some sort of security. That's why I patented mine for peace of mind.

I hope the DIN plug is just a similarity with the APS 2000 and does not compromise my patent on its design?

I'm sure this is the case as we have been down this road of discussion in forums on more then one occasion.

Competition makes cooling solutions better products for it and gives the customer value and choice.

12. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

That depends; I'm not an expert on copyright or patent law (obviously :D) but I think that you have certain amount of leeway for activities deemed for personal use. (Like covering songs, copying art etc..)

I do believe provided that Dremel_freak doesn't intend to sell, distribute or publicise detailed construction notes then there's no compromise of patent.

13. RTT

RTT #parp

heh, kna, u took words right outta my mouth.

basically, as long as you dont go into production, or as long as you dont go saying its yours or spreading how you did it or make it for others youre ok :)

14. Dremel_Freak

Yeah, I don't intend on mass producing these things - it's a hobby! I adapt ideas and improve on them! I used a 1m midi cable I got from Maplins, I didn't make it from scratch as you do with yours. I've seen the DIN plug and cable method years ago, long before the APS2000 was born, in fact I've been talking with Cliff Anderson and he is doing the very same thing!

Cliff invented the fanbus years ago so if anyone thought of anything first - it's him!

Now don't u go copying my ideas of the RCA jacks, ALU fanbus or the power LED then will you Gib!!! :)

15. [GiB] Spawny

Cliff Anderson is well known on this topic and a founder and God in Bay Buses and Fan Buses in my opinion.

Glad you clarified the situation DF.

As Koolvin is doing a review I just wanted to point out that I didn’t copy yours or you mine which I now believe is the case.

Some readers can be a bit fickle and see things at face value. Me included.

Just a thought on yours?

While you have your power LED on the box, its not always visible unless you have a windowed case that’s why we mounted ours on the faceplate. The RCA jacks are sweet and are a quality touch, but not always an option for Newbies to fit to their fans. Again the ALU box is nice to but will need greater care and attention to build quality and machining. Still that said you have shown your ability to be at an exceptionally high standard and praise you on pushing the frontiers again. This also goes to the guy’s in the bOrg (Bit-Tech) to.

An update on the APS 2000

I have two new models on the drawing board and one in R & D. I’m also going to do some comparison testing to prove a theory I have on loads just waiting to get access to the right test equipment. I preparing for i8 and will dedicate some resources on it when I get back.

16. Dremel_Freak

Thanks for the kind comments Gib - I take pride in my quality of work and it's decent comments from guys like yourself that make it a rewarding hobby.

I couldn't mass market these anyway - took me ages to cut the ALU box !!!

I put the power LED there for a change so if there is a problem, I can see if power is getting to the box - just fancied doing it that way for a change :)

17. SuperScrubber

SuperScrubber Mad Chemist.....buwahahaa

Case looks great dude - fanbus in particular, I also really like the laser cut grill on the back, it just seems to fit in perfectly........

BTW where did you get the alu enclosure from m8? Maplins?
    I'm looking to put an LCD in one - I'm toying with the idea of building an MP3 box which itself would be hidden and thought it would be cool to have some kind of display...........

18. Dremel_Freak

Yeah Maplins - my favourite place!

Code LF10L - ALU box AB9 - £1.99.

19. SuperScrubber

SuperScrubber Mad Chemist.....buwahahaa

That was quick m8 - cheers :D

Now to choose between a VFD and a blue lcd.....................;)

20. Oddball

Oddball What's a Dremel?

just ordered mine :)

many mods coming it's way :D

oddy