1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Downloads and documents

Discussion in 'Software' started by IamJudd, 18 Mar 2012.

1. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

So, finally I have installed Win 7 pro x64 on the 64GB Crucial SSD.

I'm now wanting to install programs and documents including save games and such. Also, it seems that any downloads I do automatically send the setup program to c:

Is there any one that can help me set this up so the only things that are going to the SSD are Windows related only?

Thanks in advance,

2. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I have an SSD and a second storage drive. Depends on what program you are downloading with. But you can point Firefox to a different folder as well as all other applications. I moved my music folder to the storage drive and then just changed the location Music in Start menu went too.

3. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

everything inside your user folder can be moved - you can either do it in some settings menu, or click the start menu, click your name (user profile), then just drag the folder to whatever drive you want it on, bam done. I have my downloads on a separate disk, my music on a separate drive and my videos on a separate drive. The folders will still all appear in that window but when you open them, it will open the directory from the new location.

You can also do a registry change that means that "program files" and "program file (x86)" will also be on a different disk. gimme a sec ill find a link...

edit: This links got it all http://benosullivan.co.uk/windows/h...er-folders-in-windows-7-to-a-different-drive/

edit2: or from your user profile, rather than dragging the folder where you want it, you can change the location in the properties tab

[​IMG]

thats a poor example as its on my laptop, and I havent moved it, but you can move it there to another drive.

4. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

Ultimate Windows Customizer may be worth a look as it does appear to allow you to change the location of documents, programs and media files.

Another method would be to use NTFS junctions to redirect specific folders on your C: drive to another folder elsewhere - Link Shell Extension is one of the most comprehensive tools I've found for managing junctions.

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Just right-click on the folder that you want to move in your profile folder, select properties, and go to the location tab. Done. (as Margo Baggins, mention on his edit).

Don't break your head with complicated registry and useless tweak tools. No need to re-invent the wheel.

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

As for the various Libraries, add your respective folders to the respective libraries... set them as the default save locations... done...