1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Recommend me a new PSU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 3lusive, 18 Mar 2012.

1. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

As per title, I'm after a new PSU to replace my Corsair CX430 Builder Series. I currently cannot determine whether the problems I am having with my system are related to a defective GPU or related to the fact my PSU simply cannot run my system with the GPU installed.

I therefore plan to try a higher rated PSU to see if I still get random system freezes. If I still get them, I will know that it's a defective GPU and just return the GPU and PSU, and then look for a new card. Hopefully, however, it will be that I need a more powerful power supply.

I am no expert when it comes to PSUs, but would prefer at least a half modular one, and for it to be quiet and of course fit snugly in my case (Antec 300).

I was thinking about this one off amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCZ-600W-ModXStream-Power-Supply/dp/B001GLFD54

Any recommendations?

2. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

A good 430w PSU will handle that easily. It isnt an issue of wattage. Anything more than 500w is just overkill for that system.

3. Deders

Deders Modder

Not the best brand, although it is a bargain. According to one forum (from 2009) OCZ RMA around 800 PSU's a day.

I've been very happy with the Antec Trupower new 650 (not the 750) does exactly what you've mentioned in your post, Efficient (although there are more efficient out there today) Uses seasonic parts and designs (as does most corsair PSU's) which are renowned for being the best.

Edit: as bob says, the 430 should be able to handle it, if your problems are down to the PSU it's because it is faulty.

4. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Well its a big question though, because I need a gpu to run 2560x1600 but I can't live with these random hangs. I need to absolutely determine that it is a defective GPU that is causing it, and not the fact my psu can't run it.

I'm not convinced my psu can easily run such a system. Other sources have said it will be the psu, and hard hangs are often linked to power issues (apparently). If my 430W can 'definitely' run it, explain how it can?

It does say in the gpu spec that it should run on a 300W psu. Perhaps it is a defective GPU afterall, but I'm stumped, tired and need it fixing soon.

5. Deders

Deders Modder

or a defective PSU.

6. Deders

Deders Modder

Delete me.

Last edited: 19 Mar 2012
  7. tonpal

tonpal What's a Dremel?

Have you tried cleaning the heatsinks on your CPU and graphics card?

8. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

The GPU has no dust on it, but the cpu heatsink will. I will clean it thoroughly tomorrow when I get a new can of air.

9. GuardandGo

GuardandGo What's a Dremel?

I think it really depends on your spec. Can't really tell if the issue is on your old PSU.

I've been using the Fusion 550 for my rig and is working pretty well so far. but the one you linked is actually a good one. But again, I don't know your spec so can not be certain if you even need a 600w PSU.