1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. Splooshiba

Splooshiba Minimodder

2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

3. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

4. kopite

kopite What's a Dremel?

Hey all,

I`m about to take the plunge and purchase a filco ninja majestic 2 keyboard as my first mechanical keyboard but I have a couple of questions first.

The first one is full or tenkeyless. I`m leaning towards the full one as its only a fiver more but then i`m thinking that the fact i could buy a seperate keypad and have it anyway also sounds good. So what is the general consensus? tenkeyless Cheesecake?

Next up is the issue of iso or ansi. Being engligh I have been using iso forever. Is ansi better for typing or is it all down to personal preference.

I tend to have a hybrid typing style where i`m using the old home finger positions (asdf jkl;) but my I do tend to use only a couple of fingers when typing.

Thanks in advance ppl

5. longweight

TKL and ANSI!

If you don't really do much numerical data input then the numberpad isn't really needed and the extra desk space is awesome.

ANSI is much better than ISO in my opinion, much easier to hit enter and it looks a lot better!

6. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I would say TKL unless you do a lot of data entry, as there is hardly and downside, and you get more deskroom :)

ISO/ANSI is a personal choice IMO, I now use ANSI since most replacement keycaps are ANSI, and some keyboards (like my current poker) are only available in ANSI, so I didn't have a lot of choice ;P
    However Splooshiba here recently got the ISO Filco TKL, and loves it, and since he's not looking to get a complete new set of keycaps, the 'downsides' aren't really there.

7. kopite

kopite What's a Dremel?

Well tkl it is then :D

I am tempted by ansi keyboard layout but I`m a bit worried that having a different keyboard at work and home would cause issues.... I`d probably have to buy one for work as well...

lol

I do want to change some key`s but I`m not thinking of a full key layout change atm. probably the wasd, Esc key and some others maybe although after reading throught this thread it sounds like I`ll get addicted and be buying loads more!

8. longweight

You won't have a problem using the different keyboard layouts, I have a different one at work and home and then on my laptop and the GF's laptop!

9. down18

down18 What's a Dremel?

Did you find anywhere to try them out or did you just go for it? I'm also in the Manchester area but don't have a car and can't be bothered getting a bus up to Bolton!

10. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

11. down18

down18 What's a Dremel?

I can't access the members market yet but kind of interested in that.

I can't seem to find any that completely match my criteria - not overly expensive, plain looking, MX Browns.

6GV2 would be perfect if it had browns instead of blacks.
    Filco Majestouch would be perfect if it wasn't so expensive.
    MK-85 would be fine if it wasn't so garishly decorated. That WeLoveGaming logo is utterly horrific!
    Noppoo Choc Pro would be ok if it was ISO UK layout.

Also something I was wondering - does tactility wear out? In however many key presses, will some feel different to others? Kind of pushing me towards red if that's the case.

Last edited: 21 Mar 2012
  12. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

No, tactility doesn't wear down much unless it's heavy heavy use 24/7 like a retail or industrial environment. I've had MX board over 20 years old and it still feel like a new one. When tactility starts to fade, it's usually the contact leaf not the tactile point on the stem. More likely for USB to be obsolete first than you wear out the switches.

13. leslie

leslie Just me!

More costly is just the nature of mechanical, it's why they originally died out. Their limited numbers is what hurts the cost now, they are seen as a luxury.

Take a look at Das keyboards.
    Not very cheap, but not super expensive either, with a nice basic look to them (and they use browns).

http://www.daskeyboard.com/model-s-professional-silent/

14. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

15. longweight

Trust me you will be fine with the ANSI layout, it is much easier to use and only takes a couple of hours to get used to :) I use mine with a custom US layout to substitute the dollar sign for a £.

16. longweight

Payday so.....

[​IMG]

17. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Anybody recommend me a keyboard ?

UK Layout with number keys, use them far too often so would miss them.

I do game but i would also like to hear a keypress so would cherry blue be the ones ? I do want some feedback on the keys, i dont want it to feel like a jelly keyboard.

18. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Cherry G80-3000 :D

Very basic mechanical keyboard and a helluva lot cheaper than the others, but it has cherry blues and will last for a long time. I'm really tempted to get myself a black G80-3000 to replace the beige one my brother loaned me...

19. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Depends how much you want to spend, you could just get a Filco with ISO layout.

Blues sound the best switch for you certainly :)

20. Shichibukai

Shichibukai Resident Nitpicker

Why doesn't someone knowledgable on this subject of mechanical keyboards make a buyers guide/ explanation of why they're much better etc. etc?