1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Why must decisions be so hard! (SLI advice).

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The_Crapman, 22 Mar 2012.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

So, I'm not after some seaweed that Nvidia have fashioned into graphics cards or anything that would do enough folding to find a cure for aids in 4.387 seconds, i'm after something with a little more 'subtley explosive'.

I'm currently gathering parts for an upcoming build, which will feature the cpu and mobo in my sig (not the ram, it really doesn't like being ran at non-native speeds which makes overclocking a nightmare and will be replaced with something more appropriate), but my poor old 460 just doesn't quite cut it. The whole build will have a general theme of being a bit 'old school', what with it being a 775 setup and there will be no ssd, just my raptor and a larger storage drive. possibly even a floppy! But what to replace my 460 with that stays with the general theme???

Now 2 460's in sli are fairly formidable, but with the increasing demand for vram in recent games 1gb wont be enough for longevity. there 2gb versions out there, but they're quite pricey due to their rarity nowadys so i gave up on that.

You can get 2gb non Ti 560's for a very reasonable £140-150, giving you 672 cores with 2gb vram for about £300! 560's are essentially 460's with higher clocks off less go-go juice so would fit with the theme. Then i spy the 480 on scan for £180. definately oldschool with a very healthy 960 cores for £360, but just the 1.5gb. i just couldn't decide!

Now all of a sudden a complete spanner is thrown in the works. I have an opportunity to get 2 GTX 560Ti 448 for under £300. :clap:but:wallbash:. they're not what i'd call old school so i'm not sure how well they'd go witht the overall theme and it'd be the least amount of vram of the lot. but they are an absolute bargain!

The cards will be watercooled (which will pretty much hide the fact there's slightly more modern gfx cards in there) along with cpu, nb, sb, and vrm. I've had my q6600 up to 3.3 on my p5k-e and i'm hopin my striker ii will get it higher, especially once i've got the ram sorted and the bios flashed to the extreme version and some serious cooling.

At the moment the highest res i play at is 1080, but will be getting a 1920x 1200 monitor soon.

My question boils down to this:
    2 x GTX 560 2GB (672 cores total) for £300 approx OR
    2 x GTX 480 1.5GB (960 cores total) £360 OR
    2 x GTX 560Ti 448 1.28GB (896 Cores total) under £300

Help me please!

p.s. There's also a disticnt possiblilty of going tri-sli (in the case of the 560 it'd be just a physx card for the games that support it). i mean, i've got 3 pci-e slots that all run at x16, so why not!?

Last edited: 25 Mar 2012
  2. jakobfrimmel

jakobfrimmel What's a Dremel?

I don't know if I missed something out..... but I reckon that 2x 560ti 448's should yield the best performance!!

3. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

+1 for the 2 x 480's in my opinion the extra cuda cores will keep you going far longer than the extra 512Mb of vram per card.

Because when those things are water-cooled those are two monster cards :D

4. Deders

Deders Modder

Personally I'd be happy with a single 2GB 560TI (384's)for my 1680x1050, for higher resolutions 2 of them would be plenty.

I think upgrading your CPU to an overclockable sandy bridge and motherboard to Z68 would give your graphics a fair boost, but not really help in the vram situation.

560's would be ok but you'd be missing out on a few shaders (48 to be exact, maybe not a huge loss)

480's would be good for memory but they would cost you in electricity, on the other hand you wouldn't need a heater in that room. Would need to make sure your case and cooling system could handle it too.

Again the 560TI 448 is low on memory and a usual a bit of a false economy if it's still so closely priced to the 570. In your case it is a bargain.

Unless you can find a good price on some 2GB 560TI's (384) then all I've done is add to the confusion.

5. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

the 448's should be the most powerful at 1920x1200. Until you get a 2560x1440, I can't see you using more than the 1.28 gigs for several years.

6. Deders

Deders Modder

Newer games, Like BF3 are very Vram Hungry. A 560TI (384) could easily handle it at 1080p if it had enough (1.5GB) Vram, but because it's only limited to 1GB, It can stutter at full detail.

If the Frostbite engine is going to be used to develop other games (Need for speed: The Run already uses it) then 2GB will be the sweet spot in the near future, and if you're investing that much in hardware it's better to be safe than sorry.

7. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I'd say the two 480's, so long as you remember to replace the TIM with some better stuff; they reputedly get a bit better. The sheer horsepower should keep you going too. It's a little above the 448-cores.

Side note; The Run is awful. It's FPS locked to 30 and seems to show no scaling over GPUs because of that. (And demands about 700MB of GPU memory @ 1080.)

8. aaronbraich

aaronbraich What's a Dremel?

I could do with another 560ti (448 core). Right now they're retailing at £195 for the cheapest one I can find (Palit).

Where are you getting yours from? And are they brand new? If you can share this with me i'll definatley be getting myself another! :)

9. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Well we have kipper now and since that has new TXAA, better physx and PCIe 3.0 then I would personally not want to waste money on previous gen.

I have 2 x 560Ti 1gb. Disappointed I can't run BF3 in ultra due to lack of gddr. I could ditch them and get 2gb 560ti but why? Kipper is here and thus far the benchmarks have not disappointed. It's not just about fps either, I want the better AA and the dynamic fizzics is the way to go for games.

10. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

That CPU will bottleneck on most sli setups. I would spend some money on that for an upgrade

11. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Yes, get an i5k. In fact even the lowly i3 2100 will give better performance than the 6600.

12. The_Crapman

Yeh the cpu is probably the biggest bottleneck at the minute and i would LOVE some i5 goodness, but that's for another day and another build, when i can afford to spank out on a completely new system. most of my money on this one will be spent on the case mods and watercooling setup.

Besides, it's all about the old school cool, so i'm leaning towards the 480's. do you think i'd see much performance boost from 1 480 to 2 with my currently cpu?

13. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

The 2x 480s would blow the others away. But make sure your waterloop is built to tame them. They push out massive amounts of heat.

Personally, i wouldnt go for any of the options! I would save up an extra £60 odd, and wait 2 months or so and buy the best single card £360 will buy. You could be looking at a 7970 or GTX 680 for that money in a few months.

14. The_Crapman

I'll have 3 240 rads, 2 for the gfx, so should be plenty. i know that getting the best single card i can would most likely give the best performance and be the sensible option, but modding isn't about being sensible though is it? I think I'm gonna go for the 2 480's. They may be lacking in ram and get out performed by the latest gear, butthey're sure gonna look sweet for what I have planned :D

15. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

Good choice :D *patronisingly pats on head*

16. Deders

Deders Modder

Considering how efficient Nvidia's memory is you probably won't need much more than 1.5 for the near to medium future. Plus with water cooling, the 480's will be a great choice.

17. The_Crapman

They'll be ordered on monday when i get paid :D then all i have to do is.... well,...... everything! lol

18. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Just made the exact same decision myself, picked up the pair going on the marketplace with full cover blocks. As long as I'm using FXAA and not MSAA I think even I should be ok with 1.5gb vRAM.

The power delivered by the two cores should be an absolute sledgehammer. The only thing I don't like is the idle consumption. Yowch.

19. The_Crapman

But then again.....

So, I was really happy with my decision to go for 2 480's. Till earlier this afternoon that is. sitting in my rocking chair watching the Maylasian GP highlights on iplayer. I glanced down to my pc as one of the HD's was making a racket and happened to ponder on my PSU. 620W. 480's in SLI and 620W. 480's in SLI and....... far-canal bar-stewrds! That's never going to be enough. Is it?

A quick check on Enermax's PSU calculator revealed no, no it would definitely not. Now i will need a more beefy PSU in the near fututre to run the watercooling loop off, but i'd want 850W at the very least, if not a 100W for longevity and future upgrades, so i'd be looking at £200 for that.

After a quick look round and for the price of 2 480's, I could get a 3GB 580 or a 7950! So i'll be waiting for the lower-end kippers, see which give best 'bang for buck' at about £350 and get me one of those. It'll give better longevity and I can always get another at a later date for SLI/Crossfire set-up if i want.

And yes bdigital, i know you said this a long time ago! lol

20. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I guess that's pushing it isn't it? I have 2 x 560Ti on a 625w enermax psu. Crysis 2 DX11 can consume 620 watts of power but the enermax barely gets warm. Have never had an issue. The 480's use a hell of a lot of power though don't they.