1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics What GPU to upgrade to???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trueno!, 18 Mar 2012.

1. trueno!

trueno! That's TRUE-N-NO if ure not sure!..

Hi all,

I've been thinking of changing over to AMD GPUs for a while now... I've been running on 2 different Nvidia GPU cards to support 3 different displays, a 16:9 23" Dell screen on my primary GPU and the other 2 on my secondary GPU card which are 4:3 17" LG & FullHD 32" TV...

What I've been wanting to do is find the cheapest possible AMD GPU card which has 2 DVI and 1 Displayport (or maybe HDMI) connections and that the card can handle my three different displays for general non-gaming PC use and also watching all kinds of video formats plus video streaming, but, I have no idea how cheap I can go to be practical for my display set up...

I'm assuming I would need to connect my Dell via Displayport, my TV via HDMI using a DVI to HDMI cable, and my 17" via DVI... I've read that AMD GPU cards can not support HDMI if the card has 2 DVI connections and are being used by 2 other displays, is that still the case?

I hope you knowledgeable people can help point me in the right direction please! :p

So, I need to know is, is HDMI still non useable when 2 DVI supported GPU are being used and if so what (cheapest) card is best (with 2 dvi and 1 displayport) should I go for, and is there another type of 3 port GPU card that I can consider?

Much appreciated the response... Thanks :D

Last edited: 19 Mar 2012
  2. trueno!

I apologise for the double post but I would like answers/repsonses to my query, hence the BUMP, and Wow, is this forum so busy elsewhere to answer my query? :p

Thanks...

3. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

The new gtx 680 from nvidia niw supports 4 monitors so Im presuming that most of the other ones will, that is a guess though :)

4. jdageek

jdageek What's a Dremel?

I've got an Nvidia card and I have 2 monitors connected via DVI and my hdtv by hdmi, however I can't have all 3 connected at the same time, I have to disable a monitor and then enable the tv through the display options in Windows when I want to watch something on it.

I always thought graphics cards just can't have 3 screens connected at once?

(I have since changed my setup and have both screens connected and then stream video to my Xbox 360).

5. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

The current generation (GTX 500) and below do not support more than 2 screens at once. The next generation, arriving now(GTX 600) supports up to 4 monitors on one card. AMD graphics cards support 6 monitors on one card. AMD cards don't like more than 2 passive digital connections at once. In order to get more than 2, you'd need an Eyefinity Certified (mini)displayport to DVI or what have you connector. I don't know how the new nVidia multi-monitor system works, but I think it wouldn't be out of the question for it to work the same. If you can wait about a month, the GTX 660 would fulfill your needs.

An alternate option is to get a super cheap graphics card (GT 520, etc) and run your TV off of that. It's possible to get GT 520's with HDMI-out for as little as $30 USD for the 1gb version.

6. jdageek

jdageek What's a Dremel?

Excellent, thanks for the info. Gives me a good reason to upgrade my graphics card in the near future. :)

7. immoral

immoral What's a Dremel?

Do you have a set budget?

8. trueno!

More suggestions please! :p

I appreciate all the responses so far and hope for more suggestions to come :p

I'm hopefully gonna be able to find a gpu card for under 100£

I'm not sure whether the GTX660 is gonna be in my budget, but I'll see when they are released, also I don't think the GT520's are gonna cut the mustard when I'm doing stuff on my pc, surfing the net inbetween on one monitor whilst having either a video file or streaming video played on the fullHD TV at most times for background noise and also for when I stop doing stuff on my main screen aswell... ATM, my two card setup struggles to play the different types of video sounds played on my TV whilst flicking through web pages full of java, flash, and what not, audio stutters throughout the video playback, not sure whether that is due to the weakness of the gpu's or onboard sound chip or a combination, you tell me?...

I was thinking about changing over to AMD gpus partly because of Eyefinity as it supports 2 digital DVI's and 1 digital Displayport output all at once, however not sure whether it supports multi-different monitors at once as I've read and heard that the 3 displays/screens must have same resolutions, true or not?... If so, I might be better off with 2 newer Geforce gpu cards costing as low as possible that can handle my requirements with some head room aswell...

I'll still consider whatever response this thread receives and hope to find the perfect answer/suggestion soon... Again, Thanks so far for the responses... :)

EDIT:
    Since the first posting in this thread, I have been able to borrow a Geforce 7900GS gpu card, swapped out my Geforce 9500GT for this, and swapped out my 7300GT for the 9500GT, changed my connection configuration from my two monitor on the primary card and TV on the secondary to having just my primary monitor (U2311H Dell) on the 7900GS and my other monitor (DVI LG) & TV (HDMI>DVI AOC) on the 9500GT... This has reduced the stuttering considerably but still has stutters but only slightly, so the audio problem can be partial to the gpu and connection setup I had...

9. immoral

immoral What's a Dremel?

In my opinion there isn't really anything good about sub £100 cards so I would recommend looking at getting a used graphics card: the GTX 460 is still a fair option.

Thanks,
    /Dante

Edit: Looking at your description of what you are looking for I think a 460 may be suitable and then add a cheap graphics card as mentioned above and use it passively (the 520 would work but as would a PCI graphics card)

10. trueno!

You're suggesting staying with a two card setup but getting slightly more powerful ones!... In that case which card that is suitable in my situation and requirements to replace my current ones which are also more less 100£ altogether ( not each! )?... Looking at the prices on GTX460's they're pretty costly for 2!?... Also I see there aren't any 2 DVI supported gpu cards for under 75£ anymore ( my 9500GT cost me less than that new back then ), why is that?... I just see cards with 1 DVI, 1VGA, & 1 HDMI, again why that configuration?... Not sure what you mean by passively use the secondary card, please elaborate?... And PCI cards are too expensive because they're rare and not worthy anymore! :p

However, I do see that there are some AMD gpu cards costing less than 100£ which has 2 DVI 1 HDMI configuration but would be useless to me as I can't use the third output for a 3 display/screen setup... To me I think the best option would be to find a reasonably good 2 DVI & 1 Displayport configuration ( or 1 DVI, 1 Displayport, & 1 HDMI configuration ) gpu card that costs around the 100£ mark for my situation, I'm seeing x770 between 85£ - 125£ ( but not sure what the differences are ) anyone got comments on this one as well please?

Thanks a bunch :D

Last edited: 26 Mar 2012
  11. immoral

immoral What's a Dremel?

What I suggest is that you hang on to one of your cards and replace the other with a used GTX 460 such as this(the link is to a brand new card but the price is more typical of a used model).

/Dante

12. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I would think it would be wiser to try to get a 560TI second hand. They go for about £160 new. So should be affordable 2nd hand. I would only go for a 460 if it has to be under or around the £100 mark.

13. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

*dirty second post...uurruk*

14. trueno!

I don't wanna be rude or anything but isn't there AMD alternative?... If I have to I think I can stretch my budget to 150£ no more!...

- Sent from my GingerSkate via tapatalk

15. trueno!

In most cases partically with pc components I don't believe in second hand, last few times I bought some second hand items for my PC, they went faulty in a matter of hours, regrettably they were bought off eBay and from non refundable sellers, so yeah, don't trust. second hand... I can't say what it's like buying from people off forums due to past experience buying second hand, but reading from the sales threads, no one has had problems... I may check there for a good deal...

Last edited: 28 Mar 2012
  16. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

The 6850 is a great value for money. At that budget it might be possible to get a 6870 if it's on sale or used or something. I just loathe the Catalyst Control Center, that's why I try to avoid recommending AMD. But if you really want easy many-monitor setup, it's the only way to go, at least until the GTX 600 series gets more fleshed out.

17. trueno!

Okay, I'm in no rush, I'll wait till the new gpu's are released.... Thanks for the recommendation too :)