1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress EXO-S: TRANSPORT CASE DONE!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Mystikal0412, 31 May 2011.

1. Roboduck

Roboduck 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

I love this build. I think you have invented a new style "minimalist-bad ass" :thumb:

2. dream1

dream1 What's a Dremel?

Wow looks just great :)

3. xSoMBrAx

xSoMBrAx Minimodder

Great work, I loved this since the begining :) :rock: :thumb: :D

4. bond0071993

bond0071993 What's a Dremel?

great job :thumb:

5. wratterus

wratterus What's a Dremel?

Looking fantastic guys, really like the design.

6. (RFFN)-SqUeD

(RFFN)-SqUeD I eat dremels for breakfast

Thankz everyone :thumb:,

We were really glad with the first run of the system, it is a tense moment every time u fire up a new system.

Now all we have to do is get the last 'few' little things right and of course we have to finish the transport case. We will start with this coming monday.
    This will probably be a "case" mod also.........:lol: - We've got some ideas for that to. Just simple things but completing the total package!

7. Mystikal0412

Mystikal0412 Safety First, Think Twice!

Okay, after a few weeks of some flu we are back to tackle the transpot case.

This is the standard American Audio ABS case. We purchased this back in november 2010, which was the beginning of our mod!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The height of the case was not sufficient, so we removed the inner bottom and top part and made one ourselves. After some measurement this is the bottom plate.

[​IMG]

These metal strips where on the front and backside. To easily (and without damaging) insert the Exo-S into the case, we had to remove the ones in the front.

[​IMG]

Bottom plate is already screwed to the case

[​IMG]

To avoid any scratches to the paintwork, we glued this foam to the innerside.
    [​IMG]

And the otherside as well.

[​IMG]

Lets fit this baby... and it fits like a glove... This baby will not move during transport to the couple one LAN parties we are attending each year!
    We also did the top, but did not make any picture of it..
    [​IMG][/url]

[​IMG]

The lit on the backside we used the same foam.[​IMG]

And the Exo-S in the case...
    [​IMG]

We are now planning to create the same Exo-S logo in the case. Let's see if we can get some one to create a metal plate with the Exo-S logo, just like on on the case (only bigger). Ofcourse we will put some led light behind this logo as well with a switch and battery.

[​IMG]

On this photo you can also see there is a small space for a plate. We need to think what we are going to do with that... Unfortunately, we had no one dedicated sponsor, otherwise a nice logo of that brand would fit perfectly! :)

See you at the next update!

8. Mystikal0412

And the Exo-S is now for the first time in my house. We are not totally finished, but it is already running. There is a LAN-event coming, so I need to start practicing MW3, to make sure my gear matches my MW3 skills ;-).

I need to adjust the cables at the back, so they are not visible anymore. And we are going to make a monitor stand which will match the Exo-S case.

Keep you updated, and looking forward to your comments.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little bit ouf of focus, some pictures where shot without the camera tripod.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a total overview of my current game-room.
    [​IMG]

9. wratterus

wratterus What's a Dremel?

Love it, looks fantastic! :D

10. Mystikal0412

And after some time, another kick..

We have the plans to start working on the Exo-S next week. We still want to add the Exo-S logo in to the transport case.

Furtermore are we going to make a monitor stand which will align with the PSU cover. We want to include an external USB hub into this monitor stand. Ofcourse this stand will also be illuminated with blue light.

First rough drawing.

[​IMG]

In addition an overview of our current Exo-S logo. First one is out of metal and will be used in the monitor stand. The 2nd is made by a 3D printer in black ABS and will be used in the transport case.

3th and 4th are draft examples.

[​IMG]

11. weed2all

weed2all modder

it is a impressive pc case

12. weed2all

weed2all modder

i want to make something like that...do you be upset if i use your idea to make a case for me...
    sorry for my english

13. Karrek

Karrek Minimodder

The PC sures lights up that room in your house. The case is great - a good finish to the build. Well done!

14. Mystikal0412

This night we finally started to build the monitor stand for the Exo-S.

Once again we started with the frame. This frame will be used to put the monitor on, but this is under the actual monitor stand. The foot of the monitor not be visible. There will be another cover on top of this cover with the PSU cover design that will align with the design of the Exo-S.

Besides that we also started with the Exo-S logo in the transport case. There will be a non visible swithc on the front/bottom of the transport case to put on the led light behind the Exo-S.

The photo's will do the talking :).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Mystikal0412

It's not finished yet ;-). See above!

Sure, no problem. It's always an honor if we can inspire other people!

16. chris8224

chris8224 What's a Dremel?

looks good, nice to see something different :)

17. weed2all

weed2all modder

thanks for your willingness to let me do a case egual.
    Currently bought the materials needed and the tools ... the next week on monday comes the welding machine and I will start working on the case...i will think on a name too for my case
    sorry for my english

18. Mystikal0412

Give me a sign when you have openend your worklog! I really would like to follow that one in particular!

19. weed2all

weed2all modder

YES I WILL...I WILL SEND YOU A PM WHEN I START MY WORK ON

20. Mystikal0412

I know guys, our progress is slow. Maybe to slow. However this is a team build together with my Buddy SqUeD. We enjoy every moment of working on this case. But we are both very busy with work and our private life. Nevertheless like we always said. We are going to finish this build. We don't work with due dates. We only work to get it perfect!

This Friday we are attending a LAN with 175 people in the Netherlands. So we needed to finish the transport case and make sure the Exo-S is in excellent condition.

First of all my SSD of Corsair was death. He was not recognized within the bios and I got BSOD's on a regular basis. New firmware did not solve it, so it will be RMA. However this will be to late for the LAN, so I bought myself a new SSD. Samsung 830D.

The Corsair was painted and filled like 15 times, the Samsung is better, so less work on it. We sand it, filled it and paint it.

Besides that one of the CCFL's was broken in the first week the Exo-S was running so we fixex that one as well. Now it is in excellent condition for this weekend X-life Lan where RFFN will be attending with 8 guys!

First of all we taped the SSD, sanded the orange logo off and we filled it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Exo-S logo which was created with a 3D printer needed to be filled as well.

[​IMG]

Drilled a hole for the switch so we can switch the light on the Exo-S logo

[​IMG]

Behind the logo we needed an element to get the leds in. We build out of 2 plastic cases one case.

[​IMG]

Glued the battery cases on the inside of the transport case and starting soldering the wires.

[​IMG]

The inside covered with foam again, so everything is clean! The foam is partly cut to remove the batteries.

[​IMG]

We fixed the logo with 4 'inbusjes', completely in style with the Exo-S.

[​IMG]

The result in the dark.

[​IMG]

Close up of the logo!

[​IMG]

Done! Let's start gaming! COD4 it will be! Looking forward to frag some guys with the Exo-S!

Yesterday we discussed the build for my buddy SqUeD. There will be another scratch build from this team. What exactly we don't know yet. First thoughts are a 'mini' computer with external powersupply. But this probably will change another 150 times before we start and 15 times after we start!

First we need to finish the monitor stand! That will take again some time!

Keep coming with the comments and remarks!

Thanks guys!