1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Project - Neophyte

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Briaireous, 12 Dec 2011.

1. Briaireous

Briaireous What's a Dremel?

Hi guys,

So ive come up with my first ever case mod design!

And i would like some opinions from the guys that do it best :)

I'm planning on doing a single WC loop for the CPU and just a simple air cooling solution for the NB, Ram and GPU for now depending on how my first watercooled pc goes.

General design is around ease of access and minimal maintenance which has always been a big annoyance of mine so im trying to design everything in such a way as to be able to access what i need when i need it as well as having lots of extra room for, whatever i guess

As i said previously this is my first time modding and also my first time using sketchup so go easy on me please :D

The general plan is to make a scratch build, i know a lot of people from what I've read anyway, don't recommend this approach for the first time modder. But for me I feel as though its either go big or go home because i need a new case, anyway onto the design :)

[​IMG]

The general idea is to compartmentalize the build. I'm a bit worried about leaks since im going to be using an all copper radiator from a car and an aquarium pump (Yea going budget on my first build but i honestly cannot afford prices of pumps here in South Africa not to mention the lack of selection) Not to worry I will be getting a Koolance CPU-370 for the CPU water block :)

Back to the point, this way I'm hoping that if there are any leaks it will keep them away from any hardware and wiring.

[​IMG]

I'm not sure if the reservoir is too big? (Making it myself) That would be one single cylindrical acrylic tube joined on top or a square/rectangular reservoir. My main reasoning behind this is because i want to eliminate the difficulty or refiling the system by having the refill cap/lid usable from the outside of the case. Also im hoping this will cause some turbulence as i want the inlet coming in fairly far up on the cylinder. (Turbulence = extra cooling?)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You may be asking what the lines are coming from the tunnel shaped cylinder in the centre there that was my attempt at creating an elongated shroud which might help create a vacuum affect thus sucking out the warm air that has been blown across the ram, gpu and NB. At least I have something encase i decide not to water cool the rest of the PC

In my mind it will work as below, Science wasn't really my subject so i may be wrong since warm air rises and cold air sinks, But the air is coming in with the rooms ambient air temperature.

[​IMG]

Two fans either side of the rad. One side sucking in the other blowing out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm going to go with white/black/blue theme, Black inside, white for the exterior with blue lighting, UV blue Primochill tubing, distilled water and a silver coil.

Any feedback and comments are appreciated. Alot of the ideas i have in mind are inspired from the amazing work I've seen on this website, so thank you for the inspiration and helping motivate me :) Ill try keep note of the builds that have insprired me and give credit to the modders when ever i can. The aluminium will be arriving soon so im hoping to start a project log for my build.

Thanks for your time guys

2. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Um, hot air rises I think you'll find- you need to reverse the airflow in that case otherwise it will be very inefficient at removing heat; put the intake(s) at the front and exhaust at the rear :thumb:

Otherwise it looks fine.

3. Briaireous

I figured that would be the case, but since the front fan was so far away from the motherboard i figured it would be inefficient as well....

Then again I don't know if the rear fan would be able to cool the warm air rising from the GPU and ram.

Thanks for the advice i think the way you suggested will probably be more efficient though :)

4. OmightyOne

OmightyOne Minimodder

loving the cad design, cant wait to see the outcome! might need some intake holes for the psu rather then just the standard exhaust at the back of the case.

5. Briaireous

Thanks OmightyOne :)

I have the aluminium now so ill be starting my project log soon, with the christmas season it will be a bit slow though.

6. mikeyandrewb

mikeyandrewb What's a Dremel?

Nice Ideas,
    Look forward to seeing the progress made.

7. Briaireous