1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Miniature webcam

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PawelKosi, 26 Mar 2012.

1. PawelKosi

PawelKosi What's a Dremel?

Hi Guys,

It might seem like a weird question but please bear with me I am dead serious.

I need webcam that will be small enough to be lowered through small gap between the wall and water pipes at my home... At this moment you probably think wtf?

My and my GF have (had...) two Gerbils that somehow got away during the night. We have turned the house up side down and after 10h (no joke) we have found a little hole in plaster wall that led to water main. Its like a square chimney running the height of the house with all the pipes in it. Access is bloody horrendous and the only way I can check that the little buggers are inside is by lowering down makeshift camera with led light. Is either that or ripping the wall off... at my neighbours.

This is serious request fellas, my GF is sulking like mad and I have to do something about that. It only happened yesterday and those Gerbils can survive for weeks without water... (they are dessert animals) I want to spare them slow death...

Gap is about 2 inches wide. I was looking around some websites already but cant make my mind up. I had old Technica (Tesco brand) webcam but it doesn't work. Logitech ones are way to bulky.

Also USB allows for cables to be only 5m long and (max 3m long in low voltage peripherals?)
    Is that true?

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

I know this is not something you guys get asked about on regular basis but I count on your intellects :) lets try to save them.

Thank you all!!!

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

3. PawelKosi

Omg that looks fantastic, if there will be no other suggestions I will get this thing - Thank you for such quick reply!!!

4. sparkyboy22

sparkyboy22 Web Tinkerer

I doubt that you'll find something better. I cant wait to see your review appearing on the product page!

5. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

6. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

And what will you do once you find them inside ? Rip out the wall at your neighbors ? :D

7. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Good point.

A far cheaper and better idea would be to buy some humane mouse traps (the ones that don't hurt the hamster) filling them with their favorite food and leaving them by the hole.

8. PawelKosi

Haha, I'll inform you guys here and If I will indeed get that camera I will leave review and post a link here :D

Will check them out, Thanks mate! As dumb as it sounds (probably because the lack of sleep) i didnt think about going on ebay. Borescope idea sounds great too.

"Hello Mr and Mrs whatever, could I just nip to your kitchen area and rip huge hole in your wall, please?" Nope, I am investigating ideas as much as I can when I am at work. I didnt get that far as to getting them out of there. I was thinking more on the line of having a thick rope that they could use to climb up. They like us, and are not afraid (but very curious - what killed the cat?) and I am sure when they get hungry and thirsty they wouldn't mind climbing back up. They are excellent climbers.

As I mentioned above, the hole (from what I can say) goes directly down. So if they could climb from there freely then we wouldn't have this conversation matey :) If the trap is small enough I could try to lower it down there on rope or something. Definitely worth thinking.

Thank you all for interest, I will try to keep you posted as best as I can. :)

Cheers!!!

Last edited: 26 Mar 2012
  9. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

No. Obviously, he'll use the magnet on the end of the camera from ebuyer...:sigh: :D

10. PawelKosi

Cuz everybody knows that gerbils are attracted to magnets (and vice versa). But for your information I will use sticky traps (if the gerbils are down there) I will get them glue traps, cut one to smaller pieces and try to lover it down on a string. Wait for Gerbil to get stuck and voila!

I am getting paid tomorrow so I will probably order that camera and let you know how it goes.

11. PawelKosi

Little update :)

I have ordered the camera from ebuyer with express delivery. I will post some pictures here later on and will post a review on ebuyer as promised :) (ofc after the successful or unsuccessful operation). *puts music from MI on*

12. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

good luck sir.

... and some inspiration to prepare you for the mission

[​IMG]

13. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

This thread made me LOL. Fair play to you for being humane buddy, good luck !

14. Necrow

Necrow Minimodder

Subscribed, I need to know what happens next!
    Where they there, have they escaped, do they live in the wall and head outside each night to stop evil, is one called Penfold, who is Baron Silas Greenback?

15. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Isn't this how BOLT begins?

16. PawelKosi

Camera should be in today... I live in hard to find place even though its a big block of flats. Half of delivery drivers always miss the place and drive for miles in wrong direction...
    Cant wait, each day chances are smaller...

Got rest of my Gerbil retrieval kit:
    1x Rope (good for climbing)
    1x String ball (for lowering things down there)
    1x Tiny metal bucket (normally as a decorative thing for tea-lights - can act as tiny lift)
    1x Bag of cashew nuts (for bait, they love it)
    1x wooden board 1m x 1m that I am going to cut to cover whole of the wall after the operation :) (I might need to do bigger hole in plaster board you see)
    1x Laptop, fully charged
    1x Sticky mouse trap (gonna use it as a 'hook' for Gerbils. Will stick some Cashew nuts to it so when little buggers will come to pick-up free dinner there will be surprise...)
    1x Sulking girlfriend :)

More updates soon :D thanks for all the encouragement guys and all the interest!

17. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

LOLz, good luck!

18. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Film it ! Youtube Title " Gerbil Rescue "

19. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

Best of luck to you in operation rodent rescue , I just hope that there isnt another tunnel leading off under the house or something :(

20. Tribble

Tribble Steals Avatars

They'll come out when they are thirsty and hungry, make sure you put water and food out, they will survive. They don't need rescue. I have had many gerbils and kept them in male female groups of up to 11, in huge Rotastak Houses with extra runs attached, my fav were the creepy castles, gerbils need plenty of room to be kept happy.

My hamster use to live under my bath in my bathroom, so he was a total house hamster.

Wonders how they broke for freedom. :eyebrow:

The worse thing are cages with nothing to do, i like my animals to have plenty of freedom and space.

Tags: