1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News GAME Group closes 277 stores

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 27 Mar 2012.

1. MaverickSB

MaverickSB What's a Dremel?

It won't help them by keeping stores open if they continue with their pricing strategy of full prices for games that have been out for 6+months. It is only a matter of time in my opinion till every store is shut for good and good riddance too I say, they don't deserve the loyalty they actually have from their customer base.

2. VaLkyR-Assassin

VaLkyR-Assassin Minimodder

I'm annoyed they closed our local GAME, but kept Gamestation open. Since I buy PC games, and Gamestation haven't sold any in store since they were originally taken over by GAME, it means if they do ever have any sale, or continue in some form, I will have lost out anyway. All Gamestation ever has is shelves of pre-owned console games.

3. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Thats actually surprising...I always found Gamestation packed in Birmingham...

4. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

As far as I can see there is no longer a game or gamestation in the north east. My guess is that the competition from Grainger Games is too strong

5. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

I know I'm being a bit picky, but there's no capital w in PwC, or PricewaterhouseCoopers. Looks a bit odd with the capital in there.

6. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

i forgot the one they're shutting in lincoln even existed!! they're keeping the in town GAME and gamestation open though but i cant see either lasting long, the staff in that GAME have always been totally useless and uninterested in anything.

Its a shame for the gamestation though, the staff there are much better, really friendly and genuinely helpful, but since the CEX opened next door its been noticeably quieter.

7. TheManicGibbon

TheManicGibbon I have no idea what's going on

That's odd...I have a GAME and a Gamestation in my local shopping centre, literally no more than a minute's walk apart., yet both remain open. How odd...

8. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

The Game in Oldham is shut but the Gamestation a minute walk away is still open.

The Spindles Shopping Centre is like a ghost town, it has so many empty shop spaces.

9. mattbailey

mattbailey What's a Dremel?

I have lost £10 in loyalty points - c'est le vie. I wanted use them to get Tropico 4 - Game price £19.99. Listed online for £9.97, at PC World and Curries! Where will I buy 'xxxxxx Sim?'

Sorry for those losing their job, but their prices were out of kilter with the market place! I suspect they will come back like Zavvi as an online only e-tailer.

10. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Odd we still have three with in the same 1/4 mile stretch according to that list. Doesn't make much sense to me but at least those people will still have jobs.

11. Matticus

Matticus ...

Strange that they haven't closed any in Peterborough (unless control+F failed), last time I checked we have two Games and one GameStation. One Game and the GameStation are not far from each other in the city centre, and the other Game is in the big Tesco shopping centre.

To be fair they are always pretty full, but given the scale of the troubles I would have expected at least one to go. At least it doesn't mean extra people out of work in the area.

12. Fused

Fused Minimodder

Odd that in Crawley that the two Games have been announced closed (old EB and original Game) but the GameStation apparantly remains open. Guess it was the one with the cheapest rent (is the smallest). I have mixed feelings about their closures. Sad for the staff who now have no jobs, as a pc gamer the stores havent been much use to me for a long time, but for the odd console item and gifts. Will be odd to walk down the high street and not see them though.

13. holzj17

holzj17 What's a Dremel?

tbh i never really saw why they had two GAME stores in crawley? you could pretty much spit from one to the other they were that close!

14. Fused

Fused Minimodder

I was never sure why they kept two but the one inside the Mall was originally Electronic Boutique (I feel old now just saying that). We have some EB gameboy stuff somewhere....

Anyway why they didn't close it given the fact the one outside was larger and rent inside County Mall is suppose to be very high I'll never know. I think this may be the long drawn out effect of trying to keep too many stores running after EB and gamestations mergers. Still the Game stores in Crawley always seemed busy! One thing that has surprised me is that Blockbuster is still going! Never would of predicted Game would go before that (Heard rumours Blockbuster is in financial trouble though..)

15. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Feel sorry for people losing their jobs, that's never good.

16. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

It would be interesting to know if the stores that have closed either have been underperforming or have had high rents as its not clear why some have gone and not others in the closures so far.

17. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Game in Chester and Ellesmere Port remains open, yet Gamestation in both these areas have shut. Surely keep one open of each.

18. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

I can only imagine it's based on individual stores profit/loss margins else why leave some towns with none and others with 3?

19. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

just die already! i feel the upper management with no clue are geared up towards a smaller svelte setup, but i just dont think they realise they are responsible for this mess. and i think RBS will do what it can to keep it open in the vain hope it might get some money back.
    my opinion is kill it quickly let some other company or enterprise set up shop and have a go at retail game distribution and if they are any good they'll create jobs with more of a future than now, after all everyone pretty much agrees that GAME corp are "not very good" and the only reason anyone seems to want to keep them open is for the minions.

20. Anneon

Anneon What's a Dremel?

Falkirk
    Unit 34, Howgate Centre

Game store with a cheaper HMW directly opposite.

Gamestation on the high street seems to have survived. Don't use either. Digital downloads with backups do me nicely. Not one for the boxes.

Tags: Add Tags