1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Slim custom-case. Returning to work.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by philosopher, 18 Feb 2012.

1. dream1

dream1 What's a Dremel?

Nice work :D

2. MADKiller7

MADKiller7 What's a Dremel?

That's real modding.Excellent work.
    Lot of imagination and a pile of junk.

3. philosopher

philosopher I use a Dremel to clean the teeth

More offtopic ...

A little offtopic.
    I decided to buckle down and fix a broken second mount for GPS. Experience in working with carbon fiber can not be over. The status of this sample was much worse. In addition to not having any part of the fixture, it breached the axial hole, the whole body was covered with a network of small cracks, and when pressed on the detail of it "breathe."
    Do not damaged was the "stress response" in which the latch is set. Only this part I decided to leave.

Еще немного оффтопа.
    Я решил взяться и отремонтировать второй сломанный крепеж для GPS. Опыт по работе с карбоном лишним быть не может. Состояние этого образца оказалось намного хуже. Помимо отсутсвующей части крепежа, было проломлено осевое отверстие, весь корпус был покрыт сетью мелких трещин и при надавливании на деталь она "дышала".
    Не поврежденным оказался "ответный упор" в котором установлен фиксатор. Только эту часть я решил оставить.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The entire process of creating the matrix had to be repeated again, as it was necessary to cover the entire piece to ensure the preservation of the correctness of its shape.
    Like last time, the first layer was a release agent, then there was a layer of silicone sealant, after drying, the whole piece was covered with plaster.
    When the form was ready, I pulled out the whole piece, which starred the form and put in its place a piece of fasteners from the last photo. The empty space I filled out the same mixture of epoxy with chopped carbon fiber, in addition, the entire length of the resin was drowned a few entire carbon fibers for greater strength.

Весь процесс создания матрицы пришлось повторить заново, так как нужно было накрыть всю деталь для обеспечения сохранения правильности ее формы.
    Как и в прошлый раз, первым слоем был антиадгезив, потом был нанесен слой силиконового герметика, после его высыхания вся деталь была залита гипсом.
    Когда форма была готова, я вытащил целую деталь, с которой снималась форма и вставил на ее место кусок крепежа с последнего фото. Свободное пространство я заполнил такой же смесью эпоксидки с измельченным карбоновым волокном, кроме того, по всей длине в смоле было утоплено несколько целых карбоновых нитей для большей прочности.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I grind all sharp edges, drilled holes and laminated piece on both sides with two layers of carbon fabric for greater durability and beautiful appearance.

Потом я сточил все острые края, просверлил отверстия и заламинировал деталь с обеих сторон двумя слоями карбоновой ткани для еще большей прочности и красивого внешнего вида.

[​IMG]

Waynio likes this.
  4. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

philosopher, Your a crazy awesome modder mate. :rock::D

Love modding, it applies excellent to virtually everything, I would do some electronics recycling but I wouldn't have a clue what I was doing. :D

Your an über handyman. :)

Last edited: 11 Mar 2012
  5. branndailor

branndailor What's a Dremel?

i think this is funny because this looks like it would function way better then a slim store bought alternative cooler.. but man oh man i wish i had this talent :/

6. NoobNeb

NoobNeb Enthusiastic Lurker

Did you get the chance to do any more work yet??

7. thegyufi

thegyufi What's a Dremel?

Oh man, if one day I can know how to work the same materials than you !

Amazing work !

8. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Really hope you can continue this truly amazing build philosopher, seeing a scratch build made from the electronics working outwards is an absolutely interesting thing to watch unfold, I'd love to see such a build complete. :)

Never seen modding so in depth before & I'm learning a few neat things along the way, so is an awesome project & awesome teaching. :dremel:

9. spigs_rex

spigs_rex Minimodder

wow thats incredible, every bit of the build is original and different
    really interesting to watch n read

10. dream1

dream1 What's a Dremel?

Men you have golden hands :D

11. modscases.com

modscases.com What's a Dremel?

oh my god waiting for more update

12. MrWizard

MrWizard What's a Dremel?

So, I just read through this log for the first time, and my jaw hit the floor. The level of dedication is truly amazing. I mean...the SATA cable? I'm speechless. High five good sir. High five.

13. geebles

geebles Own's a Dremel

I've had this tab opened on my pc for months refreshing every day waiting for an update!
    Want more its so good!

14. dirky90

dirky90 Minimodder

amazing work, loved the sata cable. how did you do the carbon lamination?? looks great!

15. philosopher

Friends, I apologize for the long absence. I was promoted at work, so the new responsibilities takes more time and effort. I hope, will soon be easier, and again I will continue to work on the system unit.

Друзья, извиняюсь за долгое отсутствие. Меня повысили на работе, поэтому выполнение новых обязанностей отнимает больше времени и сил. Надеюсь, скоро будет полегче и я снова продолжу работу над этим системным блоком.

The next will be the power supply. It is rather qualitative, not to try to improve it so that the stuffing will be changed only by its size, number and type of connectors for power supply devices.

Следующим будет блок питания. Он достаточно качественный, чтобы не пытаться усовершенствовать его начинку поэтому будут изменены только его габариты, количество и тип штекеров для питания устройств.

patient :

[​IMG]

Waynio likes this.
  16. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I'm patient, just thought you left :D love to see you complete this. :):jawdrop:

I'll sit tight for updates when you can. ;)

Congrats on the promotion. :clap:

17. fr0Zen

fr0Zen back i guess

:jawdrop:you sir got skills:dremel:

18. RealWeaponX

RealWeaponX What's a Dremel?

This is an insane amount of work... can't wait to see the finished mod!

19. philosopher

Hello all.
    I can not determine the position of the power supply relative to other components. It is necessary that the PSU is not too increased the size of the finished hull and had a good air flow. With this problem.

Здравствуйте все.
    Никак не могу определиться с положением блока питания относительно остальных комплектующих. Нужно чтобы БП не слишком увеличивал габариты готового корпуса и имел хорошую продуваемость. С этим проблема.

Var. #1 445x230mm
    [​IMG]

Var. #2 350x320mm
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 16 May 2012
  20. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Nice to see you back and congratulations on the promotion.

I'm not an electronics expert but option 2 might result in electrical interference from the power supply. Option 1 may have some also but shielding it should be easier.

Last edited: 17 May 2012