1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Blocking off areas of Windows Desktop for icons?

Discussion in 'Software' started by DD_nVidia, 1 Apr 2012.

1. DD_nVidia

DD_nVidia Minimodder

Ok so with stuff like rainmeter etc. you can place cool stuff on your desktop.

On my desktop rig, this is fine.

On a 720p laptop screen however... Icon's occasionally get in the way.

Is there any way to cordon off part of the desktop and stop icons from going there?

2. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Why don't you just change the size of them?

On the desktop, hold Ctrl and move the scroll wheel up or down to make them larger or smaller.

3. DD_nVidia

DD_nVidia Minimodder

I'm not looking to do that. It does semi-solve my issue though. However for some things like image thumbnails making them smaller is not ideal.

Basically I'd like some 3rd party program to let me see the desktop icon alignment grid and say which parts can and can not be used.

4. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I don't think there is mate. Why not turn off desktop icons and use the explorer to view the desktop?

Simples :D

5. immoral

immoral What's a Dremel?

Not really sure what you mean but I use this in addition to rainmeter which might be what you are looking for.

/Dante

BentAnat likes this.
  6. tp148

tp148 Minimodder

DD_nVidia, forgive me if you have already tried this, but have you changed the horizontal icon spacing in appearance settings?
    Default is 43 I drop to 36 to make better use of space...

7. DD_nVidia

DD_nVidia Minimodder

tp148 - That would help a bit on the laptop side.

Is there any way to stop windows from when you hit the maximise from going over the top of the Rainmeter things?

I often full screen chrome on my right screen, but on the right side of my right screen is where I have my widget stuff, (some of the furthest left of the left screen too) and when I maximise stuff I'd like it to not go over them - and forcing them to appear over them isn't an option either.

I know, I'm being overly fussy, but if a solution out there already exists then yay! If not, I'm not gonna lose sleep over it.