1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project [Power Mac G5]: Noir G5 - 2 June 2012 - Project completed

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Normano64, 28 Nov 2011.

1. Stem83

Stem83 Addicted to modding.

love these mac tower builds, this is looking superb so far.

2. Normano64

Normano64 What's a Dremel?

Thank you :)

3. kelmannen

kelmannen What's a Dremel?

ooh, nice one with the paracord! :) molten end? turtorial please! :D

4. Normano64

Yes, it's molten ends.

Here is a guide: http://www.overclock.net/t/1183655/heat-shrink-free-paracord-sleeving-shrinkless-sleeving-anti-tangle-tool
    I didn't use this guide but I can't take any photos right now.

What I used:
    Candle
    Paracord
    Heat shrink
    Scissor
    Cable to sleeve

I didn't use anti-tangle tool because I was crimping the cable while I was sleeving so I didn't have to pull the Paracord over the pins. And I used heat shrink to molten the ends to prevent miss coloring and removed the heat shrink with a scissor afterwards.

5. Normano64

I worked with the LCD holder last weekend. I wasn't done with it because I didn't have the time to finish it. I'm in the ending of the project. I still have to paint all parts and assemble the hardware and watercooling into the case.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Test if it fits.
    [​IMG]

After a bit grinding.
    [​IMG]

More grinding and some filling.
    [​IMG]

I got one last thing to do before I will paint all the parts, and that is making a new shelf for the PSU. Got the shelf but I have to drill all the holes that's needed. I hope I can do it this week. :D

6. XRIGS

XRIGS What's a Dremel?

This mod will be epic! bookmarked.

7. Normano64

Thank you. I've been having alot of school work to do but soon I will try give the project a big push forward.

8. Normano64

I've been working pretty much everyday this week to be able to finish the project before the deadline tomorrow or perhaps Wednesday depending of what my teacher say.
    I'm sorry for the quality of some of the photos, I used my phone in low light.

I plastered the front where the LCD will be, it is fixed with plaster and I also filled the holes to make it look better.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also started with the shelf that will hold the PSU and the hard drives. The hole is for the PSU fan and the square hole is for the cables from the PSU.
    [​IMG]

I've used primer and paint on all the parts, I only have pictures for some parts but the result is very good imo.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*The door*
    [​IMG]

*The shelf*
    [​IMG]

*The main body*
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Normano64

I'm almost done with the assembly of the case. I walked into a wall when I noticed the door lock didn't fit with the new shelf so I will have to drill holes in the shelf to make it fit and I have to file on the door opener. Other than that everything worked with a bit of luck and force ;)

This is how it currently look. The PSU in upper right, HDD holder upper left and LCD in upper front.:)
    [​IMG]

10. Normano64

I have finished the case a couple of weeks ago but I haven't made a post about it yet.
    I had to do a quick fix for the case door because the deadline was the same day.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The fix worked so I sprayed black color on the holes after covered everything else with paper.

Here's the picture of the finished case, I haven't made final shots because I need to borrow a camera for that, a mobile phone camera isn't suited for this.
    [​IMG]