1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Systems Administrators Unite!

Discussion in 'General' started by CraigWatson, 14 Mar 2012.

1. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I did a job 2 months ago for a big chain of car dealers over the south east, all it was was an antivirus upgrade, 500 machines though, accross 24 sites. that was long. horribly long, and some of the worst machines I have ever seen!

2. Margo Baggins

im familiar and well versed in group policy, but that wont take the workstation off the old domain, put it on the new domain and back up/restore the users data. sadly :(

3. PowerChucker

PowerChucker What's a Dremel?

that would have drove me Insane!! props for not killing anyone during that upgrade! lol:jawdrop:

4. saspro

saspro IT monkey

USMT to migrate the users to the new domain & move their stuff then a quick batch file using NETDOM to remove the machine from the old domain & move it to the new one.

You can batch most things.

5. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Just roll a procedure out using your management software or write a script for it.
    It'll take a day or two to write it but you can then roll the whole thing out in less than a day.

6. Margo Baggins

ah no no, it was not as simple as that. cloud management service, wasnt hosted on any of their servers, yes could have scripted installation using the msi to install, but thats relying on their network not being held together by gaffa tape and chewing gum and their computers being predictable and reliable! and a few machines in odd places apparently not on the domain.