1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Wedding rings

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Darkened, 25 Jul 2010.

1. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

It's been a while since I last contributed here, so here goes.

I'm shooting a wedding next weekend and I thought that I'd take a head start and do the ring shots before the actual wedding day.

So, here they are. C&C welcome as always.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gear used here were the E-3, ZD 50mm macro with and without the EX-25 and the 50-200mm with and without the EX-25.

Feel free to comment.

Darkened

LennyRhys likes this.
  2. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Nice shots mate! I personally prefer the bark one.

3. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Thanks OleJ,

The only thing about the wood background is that it kind of camouflages the rings, since the rings reflect the wood. Otherwise I like it myself also.

Darkened

4. ringoiom

ringoiom What's a Dremel?

I think I prefer the 'gravel' shot - the bark one is sweet but the reflections are a little ott for me....not a lot you could have done tho

5. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

I really like the white and black background ones and the what looks like denim background one. the bark one the rings just seem to disappear, and I prefer the not quite so head on placements of the rings than happens on the gravel shot. but they are really well lit, did you use a flash at all? and how much time did you spend polishing off fingerprints?

6. Ginger_Ace

Ginger_Ace What's a Dremel?

Cracking shots, i prefer the all black ones as this has a high contrast with the silver.

7. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Thanks for the comments guys.

So far it seems that there is no photo that stands out from the crowd, which I take is a good thing :hehe:

I did several variations since I had the time to do these at home and not on the wedding day. The soon to be married couple liked the middle one (white background) best, since the engraving is most visible there. I already printed out a A3 - size of that photo.

@whisperwolf

I did use a flash with these, the first two were lit with a softbox from the top and it was placed quite near to the rings.

The white background was lit with two flashes from both sides without any modifiers, except they were bounced off of two pieces of foamcore and on to the background.

The last two were lit with a shoot-trough umbrella from the left side of the camera and with the "gravel shot" I kept a flexible piece of plastic in front of the rings to give them more light from the right.

The last one was on a wooden table, which has glass on it, so that's why there are a few reflections. This was also lit with a shoot-trough, but a bit lower than the last one.

For fingerprints I didn't do much, since the rings are new and I wiped them down with a micro fiber cloth and placed them on the sets with tweezers. Only thing I regret is that I didn't clean them well enough after the "gravel shot" and I've spent a good couple of hours cloning out dust from them in the last shot :sigh:.

Keep commenting, I'll try to answer if you have more questions.

Darkened

8. LeonaS

LeonaS What's a Dremel?

Nice shots, I prefer the one with the white back ground, the rings stand out a lot more.

9. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

White one; the photo is all about the relationship between the rings, not how polished they are! :)

the fact you can see the inscription more clearly on the white background is the real winner

10. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I like all of them - very nicely done. They look crisp and well balanced in terms of tone and contrast, but not overworked. :thumb:

Critique: the white and black background shots are my least favourite, because they look like product shots for a catalogue - technically very clean, but without personality IMO.

LOVE the bark one, and the fabric one too :)

Did you do a lot of pp on these, and did you polish the rings yourself?

Edit: answered - yes you did polish them, and yes you did do a lot of pp :D :D

Last edited: 27 Jan 2012
  11. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

I get to say "Holy thread revival Batman" only so often, but it's fun to see that someone still reads through older stuff as well.

And of course, thanks for the comments :)

12. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I totally didn't read the dates - just assumed it was a current thread. LOL

:thumb:

13. sam1216

sam1216 What's a Dremel?

nice shot i like first one

14. micromediaman

micromediaman What's a Dremel?

You're creative bud! I like it! The first picture is my favourite! Hope to see more of your shots :)

15. Bob Berkowitz

Bob Berkowitz What's a Dremel?

I fell in love with the first photo. Great job. I love nature and natural things. Maybe that's why I liked more the first photo, because the background is made of wood.

16. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

They almost look like renders as opposed to photos

17. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The one with the wood does - it looks just like a show-off-the-texture type render.

18. marksovereign

marksovereign What's a Dremel?

The Gravel and the Bark for me! Nice and balanced shots

19. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Oh, this is back up again :hehe:

Thanks a bunch for the comments/compliments, but this is really old stuff. Although I haven't been posting much here, so it's mainly my fault I guess.

Once I get my school finished, I'll try to liven this forum up a bit...

20. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

only usable one I can see is the white one other then that you can't actually see much of the rings as they get camouflaged by more over powering textures.

Black one takes 2nd place some more light from above and that would of been a killer shot.