1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Ex-Intel engineer pleads guilty to IP theft

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 10 Apr 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

3. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

Judge: Mr Pani, have you been up before me before?
    Pani: I don't know your honour, what time do you get up?

4. Thedarkrage

Thedarkrage Thats not a pic of me its my gf

and a rapist only gets 3years but ****ed up if you ask me not that anyone did.

5. Thedarkrage

Thedarkrage Thats not a pic of me its my gf

that was meant to be bit not but

6. b1candy

b1candy What's a Dremel?

Bankers can shaft the economy for trillions and still get bonuses
    What this guy did was wrong sure, but decades in prison? Two things could happen here:
    Intel lose profit. Everyone benefits from better processors.

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

How disappointing. If this guy were successful he could've brought AMD the secrets to better performance that they needed. However, I'm sure AMD threw him under the bus when they discovered he was in trouble, and I wouldn't blame them either.

I'm sure intel's endless line of lawyers are what got this guy to be imprisoned for so long.

8. longweight

This is theft and would deprive Intel of millions of dollars whilst boosting AMD no end, big punishment for a big crime.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

9. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

This is a rare bubbling to the surface of a massive corporate espionage war that has been waged in the tech sector since the RIFing of CIA and KGB agents in the 90s.

Most of the important history of the last 50 years is not in the public's consciousness, be skeptical.

10. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

$200-$400 mil is the value of the docs? How was that determined? FBI: "And what is your estimate of the value of the documents stolen?" Intel: "All the money, sir." FBI: "What do you mean, all the money?" Intel: "Just that, all of it. They were worth all the money in the world, past, present, and future." FBI: "Ooookaaaay. Well, how about I put down $400 million, and we'll call it good." Intel: "Fair enough."

And word, to Thedarkrage. How about we swap those - decades for rapey, murdery assholes, 5-10 for this white collar **** that only hurts corporations. Take his money, leave him bankrupt, but make room in prison for real criminals. Or hey, homie should argue that he was raping Intel, not stealing from them. Then he'll be out in 3-5.

11. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Intel can cry me a river, too. Why are you defending a gigantic, faceless corporation? You think they wouldn't screw you over if it made them a dollar? THAT'S WHAT THEY DO, THEY'RE CORPORATIONS.

3lusive likes this.
  12. longweight

Yes I know.

13. west

west What's a Dremel?

@fluxtatic
    Intel makes 54,000,000,000 a year, 400,000,000 (0.7%) seems reasonable - considering these technology 'secrets' pretty much determines their CPU market success.

14. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

This is crazy a man can go out and kill a person then get about 20 to 25 years in jail but a man steals a few files and could face 40 to 50 years... there's something terribly wrong here

15. west

west What's a Dremel?

@penryn 2 hertz, fluxtatic, Thedarkrage
    You wouldn't think that multi-decade imprisonment for robbing a bank of $400 mill to be inapropriate would you?
    Sure it's only a corporation - not a person, but it's money pays many people. This guy 'stole' potential money from a lot of people (not just a corporation).

16. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Since intel spends millions (maybe billions) of dollars a year in r&d, it doesn't seem fair that someone can just go take it to a rival company, serves him right really.

17. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

I know it might not be PC but I think it's a shame he got caught. Intel got away with bribes that have led to their market dominance, might be nice to see a little Karma..

18. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Everyone seems to be missing a major point made in the article, which is that "The FBI was able to recover these documents quickly, before Pani could use them to Intel’s disadvantage, largely because Intel reported the theft quickly and assisted the investigation" - so there was no loss to Intel. Sure, the guy should go to prison for this, but decades does seem a little harsh, and a billion dollars of damages is absurd if (as the article suggests) Pani wasn't able to use the secrets or communicate them to anyone else at AMD.

19. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

I feel obliged to point out he MAY go to prison for decades(an even century, in fact, is the upper limit in this case, according to the US Department of Justice). He MOST LIKELY won't. Maximum sentences are just that: the maximum allowed.
    Also, as he pled guilty to five counts, each with a maximum prison term of twenty years, it could also be five twenty-year sentences... served concurrently. So even IF he gets the maximum sentence on all five counts, he could still be out in twenty.

Though... given his career prospects look pretty dim now, he may want to push for as much of that free room and board as he can get.

And if I were AMD, I wouldn't have touched those documents with a hundred-foot pole. If I knew someone had documents like that, I would fire them so fast they'd get whiplash. Hell, I'd even ask the police to come pick him up on Intel's behalf.
    If they'd wound up using that information in their own products, they would've been in a ridiculous amount of trouble. Damaging Intel? He could have destroyed AMD with his "help."

20. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

Interesting... what would have happened if he'd defected to AMD after being privy to Intel knowledge without stealing documents? I know he'd presumably be under several NDAs, but there would be nothing to stop him from being "influenced" by the work at Intel akin to white room development?

I presume both big companies have measures in place that mitigate the likelihood of this happening since it's obviously not the first time an employee has left for another company.

Tags: Add Tags