1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking I7 930 OC

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by towelie, 9 Apr 2012.

1. towelie

towelie How do I Internet!!

Evening lads, just want a general consensus of this overclock.

Right so I'm new to overclocking but saw this article and thought I'd give it ago as it the same Board and one version below my I7 930.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2008/11/06/overclocking-intel-core-i7-920/3

So i have clocked it the same as in the pictures.

Have changed to reflect current testing parameters.(will change V to 1.32 if confirmed that a next step.)

CPU voltage 1.35
    CPU PLL 1.96
    QPI/DRAM Voltage - 1.35V
    CPU RATIO 21.0
    BLCK 191
    DRAM Frequency - 1,600MHz

Here is CPU-Z screen one at idle and load.IDLE 56c LOAD 89c

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When stress testing the mouse was a little slow to respond but i guess that fine seeing as the machine's spanking it self one.:naughty:

Cooler Corsair H80 and more spec in sig.

:hip::hip::hip::hip:

Last edited: 10 Apr 2012
  2. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Voltage seems a little too high, but it does depend on the CPU. My old 920 did 4GHz pretty much square on 1.3v... my current 920 does it closer to 1.25v. The only way you can work out what voltage(s) you need is by trial and error, unfortunately. :)

I recommend trying 191x21 because it will give you an easier 4GHz; using the 20 multi on a 930 kind of defeats the purpose! ;)

A couple of pointers: you're using only 1GB of memory when running IBT, and that's not going to establish whether or not your system is stable - you should test with at least 8GB of memory if you have 12GB installed; and try to keep your temps below 85C if possible. 89C is very high for that voltage in IBT - any idea what your ambient temps are? And what program are you using to measure temps? Use Core Temp if you're not already.

I would also recommend testing your system with Prime 95 as well. It takes a lot longer, but it's still a good test of system stability.

towelie likes this.
  3. towelie

Cheers for the quick reply Lenny.

i will get a temperature gauge to check my ambient temps but it was quite warm in my room last night i am also going to reapply some TIM this weekend see if that helps.I am using core temp and have just download the 64 bit version of PRIME.

I thought 1.35V was a little high but as i said i just monkey see monkey do from the article.

I have changed the Multiplier/BLCK to what you suggested 21X191.

So it would be a case of dropping the Voltage to 1.32 and testing be a next step.

Also as in the pictures i disable VM technology will this have a knock on affect to my Virtual machines.I give it a go tonight either way but thought I'd ask.

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

You are using Intel Burn Test on standard. This will not mean your rig is stable. It's not using all the RAM unless you stress it on Maximum! It's very, very common for a rig to pass Intel Burn Test on standard, and then fail maximum miserably.

Do at LEAST 20 loops of IBT at Maximum before you can even think of it as being stable. It takes MUCH longer, and uses ALL your memory. On standard, as you can see on your screen shot, it's using 1MB of RAM to test. This is unrealistic, as it will be using way more than that during games, or any intensive apps. Just use Max.. test with all your RAM then you have piece of mind.

towelie likes this.
  5. towelie

Morning Pook Yep realised that now...I'm using Prime 95 now either way.

Update
    Testing this morning with Prime 95 and it crashed after 30Mins with temps hitting pretty high 95c on the first core.But the mouse wasn't flakey as it was before during the tests.

So it would be a case of dropping the Voltage to 1.32 and testing be a next step, as it been suggest from Lenny that it's quite high.I also assume dropping the Voltage will reduce some of the heat?

FYI i don't require it to be 4GHZ just something to aim at, as i plan this to be a 24/7 OC.

Also any idea of the effect of disabling VM technology.

If it will help i will upload pictures of the BIOS,NOTE i am trying to learn..

6. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Which test are you using on P95? The standard tests don't use all your RAM etc. Also 95 is incredibly high for 4GHz on that voltage. You sure the cooler's seated correctly and getting some air flow?

towelie likes this.
  7. towelie

Daemon following this concern i will reapply TIM tonight after gym and ensure it's correctly seated to rule that out as a cause.I was using the standard test on P95.

History i installed it in a new case a NZXT 810 SWITCH this weekend, so airflow i doubt is a problem, but Seated properly and Thermal could well be as i did not re place it as i only installed the H80 in November(proberly a bad move)

8. rollo

rollo Modder

95c is thermal shutdown temperatures, anything above 80c and your not really in 24/7 territory
    If I was guessing The rad is not getting enough cold air even then your still cutting it close.

Seems to me like you just have a bad chip try scaling it back to 3.5ghz and go from there

towelie likes this.
  9. noizdaemon666

Ooh, towelie also check how your fans on the H80 rad are setup. Make sure they're both blowing the same way.

10. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

That will only test part of your RAM under load too. Trust me.. it ain't stable until it can run at least 20 loops of IBT set to Maximum.

Prime95 doesn't push anywhere near hard enough, and only seems to use a maximum of around 4-5GB here. Again.. not enough to guarantee stability.

IBT... Max.

To give you an idea... If I set IBT to standard here... or run Prime 95 I can run my normal 24/7 OC with 1.28v... it will sit running IBT all day at that. However.. on Max... it falls over within an hour at those volts. On max it needs 1.36V to be stable. That's how much of a difference it makes when you stress test with ALL your RAM.

11. towelie

See Pookey this is why you're good you don't just tell me I'm wrong but explain and give examples for me to understand.Gives me a bit more bearings seeing as I'm shooting in the dark...

Right guys Changed the TIM last night and made sure the cooler was properly seated did a quick Intel burn test Maximum on stock 2.80GHZ temps got to 68c on core 0 will upload picture later(quick morning post).

But something had to go wrong right, well the fan at the bottom of my rad has stop spinning between last night working fine and this morning go figure...will replace tonight or reseat may have knocked it got the two corsair one that came with the H80 in a worst case.

Really appreciate everyone's assistance.:hip::hip::hip::hip::hip:

Questions
    Any idea of the effect of disabling VM technology in the BIOS will impact my VM (VMware workstation)?

In the Pictures in the article there in an option to disable Intel Turbo boost i don't see that in my BIOS?

Last edited: 11 Apr 2012
  12. noizdaemon666

I can't answer the two questions you have, I don't use VMs and aren't familiar with your board. Sorry. But I will say that 68C seems still very high for stock clocks. My i5 only reaches that sort of temperature when I'm running at 4.2-4.3GHz, and that's using my Fenrir which is nowhere near as good as a H80.

You have 2 fans on your H80, correct? Are they blowing at/away from each other by any chance?

13. towelie

Daemon

Until this morning yes both exhausting, when i fit a new fan or fix the old one(suspect loose connection)

Perhaps my ambient temps are high(will post tonight with results) or i have a hot chip or a not so effective H80?

On stock it usually idles on 34-38 or incorrect result from core temp?

14. noizdaemon666

It is possible you have a naturally hot chip, obviously it could be down to ambients so we'll see later tonight.

38, again, seems very high given your setup.

15. towelie

16. Tesla effect

Tesla effect AKA ZombieKiller1

I've been running f@h on my i7 950 over the past few days. It's highlighted weakness in my 4.2Ghz OC. To stop the '124' bsod codes I've had to up the core to 1.4v+ under load, with LLC enabled (MSI call it non-intel spec vdroop). Yes, they can run very hot under air. Mine's under a Frio in an Antec 902. 200x 21, QPI@1.4v rest on auto, ram at 1.5v 1600Mhz / uncore at 3600Mhz btw. Low voltage ram (1.5v vs 1.65v) seems to help but could be wrong. Have had to increase my case fans as temps exceeding the 80c mark on low. Previously p95 testing led me to believe it was stable at 1.35v under load...

Edit: I would look at your QPI voltage with 12GB RAM you might need 1.4v, CPU PLL probably doesn't need to be so high either.

[​IMG]

Sent from Bittech Android app

towelie likes this.
  17. towelie

Right guys so ambient temperatures are 20c.

Just Ran IBT Maximum max load on core 0 was 81c but soon leveled out to around 75 average.
    [​IMG]

In the morning i will attempt a mild OC

Possibly
    CPU voltage 1.32
    CPU PLL 1.90
    QPI/DRAM Voltage - 1.32V
    CPU RATIO 21.0
    BLCK 150
    DRAM Frequency - 1,600MHz

18. noizdaemon666

75C on air at stock in a 20C room is, IMO, horrendous. Something must be wrong somewhere, even hot chips don't run that hot under load...

Wait a minute, does the H80 use the CPU FAN connector on your board for the pump or anything? If so make sure it's set to 100% all the time.

19. Tesla effect

Tesla effect AKA ZombieKiller1

Funny you should mention that. One of my Frio fans, the one pulling is stuck at the startup speed of 1300 rpm due to being connected to the 4 pin CPU fan header. The fan control rheostat does not ramp up the rpm whatsoever.

At full pelt the noise is unbearable but I think at mid range a more happy balance can be achieved for me. I'm going to grab a 3 pin extender to save a lot of hassle. In order to flip the fan around to reach the mobo fan headers, I would need to remove the heat sink which would demand I also remove the motherboard (no cut out). No thanks!

20. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

temps on my 920 I have always considered to be not great, idle at about 48 (core average) and loads at 68-70 - thats on air in a htpc case, I use 1.28 for 4ghz. Your temps do seem massively high for a H80

towelie likes this.