1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Raikkok´s DESK - "Waiting for the machine"

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Raikkok, 7 Apr 2012.

1. Raikkok

Raikkok What's a Dremel?

Hi everybody

I´m again here.

Before presenting my new mod, i want to give special thanks for the next users, that helping me giving some good advices:

Waynio, Editor22, P0pe, Djayness, L3p, Nutman, Kaxtos, Arkangel, ying.

Here some renders of my next project:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Apr 2012
  2. Raikkok

Raikkok What's a Dremel?

Reserved for future

3. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

2. Your first post must contain pics of the actual mod in progress. If all you have is an idea, you don't have a log. If all you have is some conceptual sketches, you don't have a log. If all you have to show is a heap of parts, you don't have a log. This forum is purely for concrete work in progress - the other modding forums are more appropriate for concepts and thoughts.

4. Raikkok

Raikkok What's a Dremel?

Next week i will put materials and some work...

If you want to move to modding... make the better you consider

Thanks

5. Raikkok

Raikkok What's a Dremel?

Any comments about renders, design?

Nothing?

6. Jamievs

Jamievs What's a Dremel?

Looks pretty nice! I'm working on a desk myself actually :dremel:

Not sure if the drawing is how you want it to look in the end but;

Aren´t you afraid your monitor would be too high? From here it looks like an awkward angle when you sit behind your desk.

and

Those tubes sticking out at the back side of the desk? Not sure if that would last for long. It won't in my case!

Can't wait to see this in a project log mate :thumb:

7. Raikkok

Raikkok What's a Dremel?

Yes, the same thought in all websites that i posted the work. Monitor too high.

I will solve down the central body of the mod down and only stay on the top the monitor and the two radiators..

8. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

To be honest I'm not sure what's up with that, either a quiet patch on bit-tech or no interest from people or cold shoulder treatment I'd say, think I'm getting some cold shoulder myself at the moment, either that or I'm simply boring people now, it's even boring me :lol: I did say I had an awful lot of cutting to do & it could get very boring so I offered to do fewer updates on progress while getting through the cut work, been progressing along & updating but it's gone oh so quiet in my log :hehe: could just be a quiet patch though but when starting a log your meant to have actual progress besides design, it is in the rules like longweight pointed out, this is why I started adding my next concepts onto the end of my last log but that's a habit I will break out of from now & just start when I have something real to show.

Now then, back to your design. :D

Looks more like a desktop case rather than a desk case to me though & in that respect it's fine as long as you don't mind having to look up to the monitor instead of straight forward, :D I could say how it could be awesome but it would be like me re-designing it for you which no legit MOTM winner would want or need ;) but I will say it looks like it has a good starting point to progress the design to be really nice, looks like you have the system side sorted, just need to merge it into a desk if it's to be a desk case rather than a desktop case. :)

Small portions of ideas from feedback is good but big chunks of ideas I don't think is ok really, too much like doing the design for someone else.

Showing your own ideas as options though that's good for getting approval if you need some IMO, I do this often & it helps make a project better. :)

Last edited: 11 Apr 2012
  9. Raikkok

Raikkok What's a Dremel?

I understand moreless what you want to say (i´m not pro at english, because it´s not my native language)

I have by now a big problem for cutting aluminium profiles.

Probably i will post soon new updates

Thanks Waynio for tell something

Last edited: 11 Apr 2012
  10. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Your English is superior to my Spanish mate, I can't even use google translate from English to another language without it making sentences that make no sense. :lol::D

Cutting aluminium profiles in the best ways I know going from cheap ways to expensive ways.

1. Hacksaw & clamp & work top & careful guiding of the cutting, then filing to make it as flat & square as possible.

2. Hacksaw & vice & careful guiding of the cutting, then filing to make it as flat & square as possible.

3. Hacksaw & mitre box for easier guiding of the cut & possibly a bit of filing.

4. Mitre saw which if a cheap one can also require some filing, expensive ones like the champion nobex I'll only assume are better than the cheapo ones because of the much higher price but they are about the same price as a chop saw.

5. Chop saw :D really fast & aggressive easy to cut where you want to but still might require some finishing of the ends, mine is turning out concave cuts so I'm not too happy about it, thought it would be quick without need for finishing ends, I thought wrong but it can make it a much quicker process so is still a good option if you cut bars a lot, I'll just have to account for the depth of the concave bit as the cut line when using it & finish off with my disc sander, not ideal but still the fastest option.

6. Band saw for effortless perfect cuts but can take a bit longer.

I've gone through all these ways except for the band saw but I've seen them in operation.

11. Raikkok

Raikkok What's a Dremel?

I put each saw model in "images google" to know what you want exactly say :D

My idea is use a hacksaw for metal and this thing:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a9/Verstekbak.jpg/250px-Verstekbak.jpg

Problem?

The space in that wood case to enter de saw is wider than the saw of the hacksaw. I don´t know if you understand what i want to say...

I can go to a metal garage and pay for the cutes but... i don´t know exactly how many parts i have to cut, so i prefer make the cutes by my way..

12. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D That works :thumb:

That will be fine mate & will keep tool costs lower. :)

Will be fine with a hacksaw but theres so many types of saws :lol: think you might have a junior hacksaw if it's too small for a mitre box. Hacksaws are ususally nice & cheap & so are the blades for them. :thumb:

13. Raikkok

Raikkok What's a Dremel?

I will investigate along the week about that and i will try to start on weekend, but no promise nothing because i use to mount on bike (i´m biker :D )

Here is one of my videos ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czB7da1DiMg&feature=relmfu

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

14. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Looks a good bike ride :rock::thumb:

15. ulfar

ulfar holy s**t, i can change this?

hey raikkok, i think it would look more interesting (for me anyway :p) if you shrunk the desk/case a little. specifically the height. from what i can tell by the renders, you'll have five hdd's and three ssd's right? these can easily be arranged in a nice symetrical pattern, perhaps bringing a little bit more attention to the ssd's?`

looks like a fun project, and i'll be watching, just doesn't look spectacular (yet).

16. Raikkok

Raikkok What's a Dremel?

Hi ulfar!!

I don´t mention before in this forum, but the body central of the mod will go down, so, only stand up on the desk the two radiators and the monitor (the total height will be decrease a lot ;)

About the HDDS, i have at the moment 4 hdd 3.5" and only 1 ssd. ;)

Tell me about the symetrical pattern :)

17. Raikkok

Raikkok What's a Dremel?

Hello after a long time!

Yesterday I bought this machine:

[​IMG]

I´m waiting come with me soon :)

Also i´m very glad to announce four sponsors to this project:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Many thanks to all to colaborate in it

Probably asap i will show updates ;)

18. Comfyasabadger

Comfyasabadger What's a Dremel?

Looks cool, but where are your legs and feet going to go?
    The printer shelf appears to be blocking the space.

19. Raikkok

Raikkok What's a Dremel?

There is enough space.

and sketchup desing has been modfied a little bit... the central body go down, buried under the table :D

20. Raikkok

Raikkok What's a Dremel?

The redesign is similiar to this one:

[​IMG]

Cheers to all :D