1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Memory compatibility

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by giskard, 24 Mar 2012.

1. giskard

giskard System builder

I currently have 6GB (3x2GB) of Corsair XMS3 memory installed in my system (see my sig) and the memory module specs are 9-9-9-24 1600Mhz 1.65V ver 2.3 - I'm pretty sure my existing RAM is these

I want to add another 6GB but I can't source the very same RAM but I did come across a 6GB Corsair kit which is specced here which has the same speed and timings as my existing RAM except the version is v2.3a.

Will this new RAM work with my existing RAM?

The only difference seems to be the version - 2.3 vs 2.3a, oh, and the DIMMs look a bit different.

Last edited: 24 Mar 2012
  2. mikeyman198

mikeyman198 Lets pretend this is hilarious.

Seeing as they'll be on different channels, they should be fine as the voltages are the same for both sets.

3. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

Yeah, it's not ideal to have non-identical modules, but if they are rated at the same speed, same timings, and same voltage then you should be fine. Particularly if you are running them at stock speeds ...

They look very close.

Last edited: 25 Mar 2012
  4. giskard

giskard System builder

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that but hopefully you're right.

5. giskard

giskard System builder

@Roosauce: Just looked at your system spec - wow. What do you use it for?

6. roosauce

Gaming mainly ... and tinkering, a few VMs here and there, trying out different OSs and the occasional database. It's my main hobby I guess. I have no need for more than 12GB RAM but the rest comes in handy! Right now I'm playing SWTOR mainly, which is a shame because SWTOR only needs a fraction of my PC's resources ... but I play everything and some other games are more demanding.

7. giskard

giskard System builder

VMs are my main reason for the memory upgrade so it's good to see you say that 12gb is enough, otherwise I'd have to go for 24gb if I needed more than 12GB. Triple channel can be a pain in that respect.

8. roosauce

It depends on what you're doing of course, but most VMs are fine with <4GB RAM each, so it's easy enough to have a couple of decent VMs running without slowdown on top of your host system within 12GB.

9. giskard

giskard System builder

I've found that a VM hosting a 64-bit Win 7 guest OS with 3GB allocated RAM maxes out my system's physical RAM, so I'm hoping doubling up my RAM will sort that out.

10. roosauce

Yep, it will sort that out for sure. I generally find that 5GB kept for the host system is more than adequate, leaving you 7 for VMs. You shouldn't see any serious issues on the CPU side in normal use.

Last edited: 25 Mar 2012
  11. giskard

giskard System builder

Just to finish of this thread, I've installed the RAM, I now have 12GB of 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24 Cosrsair XMS3 of memory and it all works fine, despite half of the DIMMs being slightly different (but same timing spec)

roosauce likes this.
  12. roosauce

Great, thanks for posting back the results mate.