1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Razer Tiamat 7.1 *WORLD TRUE 7.1*

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Siwini, 10 Feb 2012.

1. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What your thoughts on this "WORLD TRUE 7.1 Headset?" Can this be real? Cliky here for for more info..

Last edited: 10 Feb 2012
  2. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I like how they've fooled people into believing that cramming more drivers into a pair of headphones will make you better at FPS games.

3. thil

thil What's a Dremel?

Pretty much acoustically impossible.

Ironically, the drivers in the Tiamat are pure "value"-adding, marketing **** (from Razer? No, never!)

They just use an HRTF-based surround codec like everything else. Save your money, grab a Titanium HD and a decent pair of cans. You'll thank me later. There are so many actual *audio* companies out there that have been around longing than computer gaming's been around.

4. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Sorry to burst your Titanium HD bubble but the so-called positional audio provided by creativelabs is also fake. It in no way provides positional audio. After testing a number of so-called surround headphones and soundcards including the Tit HD, I realised they were all fake. Some people confuse slightly greater spacial image with 3d/positional audio.

So I now use a set of Logitech X-540 and for the first time can actually tell whether a sound is in front, behind or off to the sides.

5. Deders

Deders Modder

A group test I read recently put Razer's Megalodon as the worst for positional audio (sound quality itself was pretty good in 2.0 mode), although that was down to the software itself, these ones won't be using the software as they supposedly have all extra speakers built in.

Interestingly enough the Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D Omega's came out on top, apparently the 3d positioning software is great, which means it must be an improvement from the standard X-FI positioning.

Apparently good software positioning is better than multi driver units like this as it can position distance better.

6. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Review sites pretty much always say the positional audio is great on the various surround headsets out there. And people who buy them also say the surround is the best thing ever and they can easily tell when someone is behind them. Back in the 90's I believe there was a 3d sound test conducted over TV and radio in the uk. Using hifi speakers the sound appeared to travel behind me and at various points around the room. It was impressive. I have never heard anything like that using headphones and CMSS on the XFI or any surround headphones. They simply can't project sound in front. It only ever sounds like it's behind you or between your ears.

7. Deders

Deders Modder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA

8. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Yup, heard it ages ago. Impressive, but I was waiting for him to walk around the front. There was no front projection whatsoever and that is the issue I have with this so-called positional audio.

The spacial effects were great, was some degree of positional audio in a 180 degree arc behind. I want a 360 degree radius and by the way, that sound demo sounds way better than anything I heard on the Titanium XFI or any so-called 3d headphones.

9. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I choked on my tea. I agree with feathers.

10. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Had the guy been able to walk around in front of me as well I would have been truly blown away!

But I can say, since I started using the 5.1 speakers, I do get that more than I did on headphones. Serious sam 2nd encounter was a good example of this for me... The section where you exit the cave and out on to the great grass plains with the alien pyramids and then have hundreds of aliens throwing spinny things at you. You hear them whizz past you from front to back. Very impressive. That is what I was hoping for with headphones or CMSS and until that day comes I will keep using my 5.1 speakers.