1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Scrapping a Car

Discussion in 'General' started by steveo_mcg, 16 Apr 2012.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Yes I think thats what it was, but it was a pet and it had jumped a 10 foot wooden gate to get onto the road, do people keep fox hounds as pets.

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

How long's a head gasket take on a Punto though? 15-20 minutes... ;)

I keep seeing cheap Punto's come up and keep getting the urge to buy one, but I know it'll never have the same spirit as my old one.

3. October

October Mariachi Style

I got a hundred for my 12 year old Clio a couple of months ago, head gasket was gone and it was rusted to dung! I still miss it :grr:

4. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

No, there not domestic Animals.

5. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

[​IMG]

£343.33 from ebay

2 litre turbo 185hp, has a few parking dings and such but mechanically its sold. Bought near a year ago and have put 15k of hard driving on it, still feels mint.

6. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I used to have a Saab 900 Turbo, paid under a grand for it. Best car I ever owned, like you I put 15k a year on it, and it barely stuttered - worst problem it had was when the clutch cable broke. It had about 150k on the clock when I sold it on, it was still being driven for at least a couple more years after I sold it.

7. Krikkit

I like the sudden degeneration into barge-o-nomics. :D

8. MonkeyBoss

MonkeyBoss What's a Dremel?

I had a volvo s40 1.8 sport 2000 plate, paid £950 for it, had it for 8months and done at least 30,000 miles in it, I didnt do a oil change once on it and i killed the VVT on it and a few other things, had a quote of £700 to get it fixed and that was cheap, sold it to a scrapyard for £250.

got a golf GTI turbo now, first car ive had that i have done regular services on

9. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I only need another car for about 6 months then we're moving abroad so I'm very tempted to go old, cheap and BIG! Those old saabs are quite tempting.

10. Krikkit

11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

mines a later model with hydraulic clutch.

The sweet bit was, a Saab garage took it as a trade in which they sold in the first place. They also did every service. And just before it was sold a brand new clutch assembly was fitted. I've seen all the invoices and was floored at the details.

12. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

You must post a picture so the car can live on in bit-tech memory:thumb:

13. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

My message was ment for steveo_mcg

14. steveo_mcg

Typical, a month before the scrap man comes the rear suspension collapses! Bloody car must have found this thread by accident...

15. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

I'd go with trading in if you can barter whoever you're buying from up - got £500 off my car when I traded a 135,000 punto, many scratches scrapes and dents, and I told them it was going to fail its next MOT. Ohh well, I tried!

16. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

I glot 300.00$ for my Pontiac grand prix 97, the poor thing was rotten from the inside. Before giving her to the scrapyard voltures, I removed the good wheels (I got 100$ for the set, last weekend), the radio, the wipers and the windows controls XD

17. steveo_mcg

Drat the price of steel has apparently plummeted... best price I can get now is £185. Still better than a kick in the head. Road tax refunded, sat nav removed and replacement car arrived. Scrappy should come for the 406 tomorrow.

Got a Mini instead of going cheap they seem to hold their value like no bodies business, £3k for a ten year old motor is ridiculous but the wife wanted it and it was her turn to pick...

Dealer wasn't interested in trade in, cheapest car on his lot bar the mini we bought was a £5k 05 C class that I was very tempted by. Along with the 3.5L golf and the RX8 but I was told to behave...

18. Krikkit

Hopefully it'll be good for you, but I have my suspicions about Mini bork factor being quite high.

At 10y/old I hope you're not servicing at a dealer too! (Pads and discs = £500)

19. steveo_mcg

Yeah, i'm not entirely convinced, its pretty low mileage for its age (~66k) and I've got a mate at a motor factors so stuff like disks and pads are cheap and easy enough that I can do it myself and we've got the dealer warranty for catastrophic failures, so hopefully it'll last long enough that its doesn't cost us much when we come to sell it on.

It is much more fun than the pug, less powerful and less torque but the power band is lower down the rev range, its much lighter and doesn't wallow like a airliner.