1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sharp goes IGZO for new high-res panels

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 16 Apr 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. SpAceman

SpAceman What's a Dremel?

So it begins.. MOAR PIXELS!

3. streetuk

streetuk What's a Dremel?

Someone please tell me my new Dell U2711 is still impressive....not that I need the latest tech or anything.

4. Platinum

Platinum What's a Dremel?

Give me a 24" retina display monitor for my PC!

5. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

You mean you want a 2k 24inch IPS panel? Please don't be taken in by apple marketing talk. Retina just stand for hi-res IPS panels which some of us have had long before the iPad

6. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

This is a lot more interesting for laptops and phones and stuff than it is for desktop displays.

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

interesting how indium, gallium, and zinc are all related and used in the same product. i wonder why they need all 3? indium is somewhat expensive.

8. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

I guess if there was no Indium then we would have had the GZ display, or called GaZo. IGZO sounds a bit better. :)

9. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I knew we would be getting these Ultra High res monitors soon! Now we are going to need 10GB VRAM GFX cards to run them. :)

Even with a Screen size of 60" the sharpness at 2ft away is going to be awesome, and as good as a 6x screen eyefinity setup!

10. pingu666

pingu666 What's a Dremel?

the "retina" thing refers to the pixel density, and in those terms very few displays in that area :(
    and yes we had high res ips panels for ages, but they where 27-30inch, and not 10~inch :)

11. west

west What's a Dremel?

@schmidtbag
    because they are elements found all over the place and are used for all kinds of electronic components

12. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

any word on the price? I would rather not sell my first born for a better monitor. While it's nice, I have a feeling there's an upper limit and diminishing returns on desktop monitors. For instance having a 4-5K pixel wide resolution on a 23" monitor won't enable you to do much more, everything would look a lot sharper, but after awhile you would be using processing power to driver extra pixels that don't help you. You're fundamentally limited by the size of workable things like windows, not the resolution. So while I welcome this technology I don't expect it to change my life.

also, it would require an exponential increase in processing power to driver video games at such high native resolutions

Last edited by a moderator: 17 Apr 2012
  13. Harriet61

Harriet61 What's a Dremel?

So it begins.. MOAR PIXELS!

14. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

I've hung on to my power-hungry Dell 2407 16:10 24in IPS monitors for the last 5 years because the monitor manufacturers haven't offered me anything worth upgrading to without going to an impractical 30in.
    Consolification of gaming hasn't helped. What is the point of getting a Bajillion MP panel if the games you play were designed to run at 1080, or even 720?

Since I purchased it, monitor resolutions haven't increased and nor has DPI, power use has dropped slightly (57-100w down to 38 - 75w), and "better" processing specifications haven't lead to an appreciably better viewing experience.
    I have been wondering what they have been doing for the last few years.
    Hopefully I am about to see.

15. badman_mo007

badman_mo007 What's a Dremel?

I hope the introduction of high resolution displays will drive the PC gaming market somewhat.
    More Pixels requires more POWER so giving enthusiasts more reason to buy Uber gaming PCs.
    But then again its the console oriented developers that are holding us back...

16. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Echo....'Echo'

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

All this talk of even higher resolutions has made me see any of the top line GPU's as a bad purchase at the moment (except for those with plenty spare money) unless I was to stay on 2560x1440 which I think I will, but still I think I'll hold on to my 580 until these big res screens go retail & GPU manufacturers have started doing good enough GPU's that can handle the bigger res easy, so looks like my 580 is going to be a keeper card for maybe another 2 years I'd guess, reminds me of the 8800GTX :D so I don’t have to worry about going budget crazy for scraping the money for a 680 now. :D

I am loving the news of awesome res & lower power though, good steps forward. :)

18. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

Dell U2711? Are you joking right?

Tags: Add Tags